Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results 14:57 - Apr 11 with 3211 viewsSTYG

It wouldn't hurt to remind people that even with defeat to Cambridge, failing to beat Shrewsbury and Morecambe and Cheltenham and throwing away points at the death at Oxford, it all still looks rosy.

McKenna has 10 wins, 6 draws and 3 defeats in 19 games. 1.89 points per game. 87 points over a projected season.

This is with a team he inherited. With no permanent signings of his own, straight off the bat and without being able to shape the team to how he wanted it. It's also with no prolific or in form striker.

Despite this, we would be on target to finish:

20/21 - 1st (Joint)
19/20 - 2nd
18/19 - 3rd
17/18 - 3rd
16/17 - 2nd
15/16 - 1st
14/15 - 3rd (Joint)
13/14 - 3rd
12/13 - 1st

So even taking 1/6 points in the last two weekends, we have only dropped to the level where we'd have got automatic promotion in over half of the last nine seasons.

We'd actually be sitting in 4th this season, the lowest position of all ten seasons I looked at, which just goes to show how ridiculous this season has been in League One.

If McKenna can come in and do this (he took a team that had 1.26 PPG and transformed them into 1.89 PPG) immediately, without knowing the division much, without a transfer window to identify players, without Sam Williams etc, then it really is appropriate to believe we can be serious promotion contenders next season as a misfiring team with out of form strikers that keeps clean sheets, let alone as one that will no doubt aspire to sign some top strikers.

Furthermore, Hull and Posh both went up automatically last year with 11 defeats each. We have lost 1 in 13 (3.5 over a season) and 3 in 19 all together (7 over a season). We would need to turn a few draws into wins of course, but again, this could be achieved with something as simple as rub of the green, before we get onto efficient strikers.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 15:02]
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 22:06 - Apr 11 with 552 viewsTractorboy24

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 16:08 - Apr 11 by FrimleyBlue

Last year we kept a large amount of cleansheets. The problem was when we tried to do both the goals went in the wrong end... slightly similar at present that we are keeping them out overall but not doing enough going forwards. I think it's fair to have that view. That doesn't mean it's not going to change and it doesn't mean overall the football isn't better. I agree with Footers that the football itself is probably the best seen since the Burley years in regards to some of the phases of play.. we just need that cutting edge
And cutting edge is indeed something we've spoken of for a few years. The different tho for Me is we are in a a better position financially and structurally to get it resolved before we start pre season friendlies.

This is far too simplistic view. The similarity is that we don’t/didn’t concede as many goals because we controlled possession under both Lambert & McKenna.

However, the big difference is under Lambert, the football between the 2 boxes was pedestrian, which was why we didn’t score enough and we were still not as solid as we are now. Under McKenna we rarely look under pressure to concede and attack with a lot more drive than the Lambert era. Maybe the difference is certain players (Morsy instead of Dozzell and Burns instead of Bennetts) are better in this current side, but to compare the 2 is far too simplistic.
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 11:39 - Apr 12 with 450 viewsBluroo

My view is one of positivity and belief. We’re no longer suffering turgid hoofball or directionless ineptitude.

I’m absolutely convinced McKenna is a gem and whilst some people forget he’s at the very beginning of his managerial career - I think he’s going to go on to have a top career. In the meantime, were lucky to have him and without going over all the issues again, suffice to say I think he’s got off to a cracking start all things considered.

More than that I think he deserves this summer to tune the squad and embed his methods and that should, in all likelihood, inspire a slight further improvement in our PPG. On that basis I’m pretty confident we’ll get out of this league next season.

People criticise him for the lack of goals at the moment but he’s not the one missing sitters from a couple of yards out. His tactics are already creating enough clear cut goal scoring opportunities to be beating Morecombe, Cheltenham and Cambridge at least…
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 11:59 - Apr 12 with 421 viewsChurchman

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 11:39 - Apr 12 by Bluroo

My view is one of positivity and belief. We’re no longer suffering turgid hoofball or directionless ineptitude.

I’m absolutely convinced McKenna is a gem and whilst some people forget he’s at the very beginning of his managerial career - I think he’s going to go on to have a top career. In the meantime, were lucky to have him and without going over all the issues again, suffice to say I think he’s got off to a cracking start all things considered.

More than that I think he deserves this summer to tune the squad and embed his methods and that should, in all likelihood, inspire a slight further improvement in our PPG. On that basis I’m pretty confident we’ll get out of this league next season.

People criticise him for the lack of goals at the moment but he’s not the one missing sitters from a couple of yards out. His tactics are already creating enough clear cut goal scoring opportunities to be beating Morecombe, Cheltenham and Cambridge at least…

Agree with this. I would add that he working at a club where everything is changing. Plans for PR, plans for the training ground, staff coming into the club, I think KM indicated at the forum he was going to bring in another coach, some inevitable player turnover.

It’s an incredibly exciting time for the club and all involved - the most interesting since Burley’s time. There’s bound to be setbacks on the way, but what an opportunity for him, all concerned and for us after years of decline.

McKenna is the crucial piece in the jigsaw, but he’s not the only piece. I’m more optimistic than this time last year because I wasn’t sure then how serious the owners were. I am now.
As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 12:46 - Apr 12 with 397 viewsgloucester_tractor

As there's been a bit of doom and gloom with the last two results on 11:59 - Apr 12 by Churchman

Agree with this. I would add that he working at a club where everything is changing. Plans for PR, plans for the training ground, staff coming into the club, I think KM indicated at the forum he was going to bring in another coach, some inevitable player turnover.

It’s an incredibly exciting time for the club and all involved - the most interesting since Burley’s time. There’s bound to be setbacks on the way, but what an opportunity for him, all concerned and for us after years of decline.

McKenna is the crucial piece in the jigsaw, but he’s not the only piece. I’m more optimistic than this time last year because I wasn’t sure then how serious the owners were. I am now.

The sticker position is interesting
Think he wants more pace to use the two tens or 8 he likes
Will his first port of call be left wing back or center mid or fast mobile forward
But he seems to know what he is doing and what he wants
Hope the club can recruit

Son of GUS

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024