Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game Changed when we switched 16:18 - Oct 9 with 934 viewsDennyx4

First 30 minutes was poor, with Morecambe having the best of the chances.

Personally at the time was thinking that McKenna had underestimated Morecambe and had made a mistake with how we had lined up.

McKenna saw that his initial set up was not working, and was brave enough to change that in the first half and from that moment on the game completely swung in our favour. Many previous Managers would have persevered through to half time at least.

For those that did not watch the game, Jackson started up top and other than a few runs down the channels could not get into the game - John-Jules moved into that role in that first half change and you can see that he is better playing with his back to goal.

Edwards moved from the "Burns" role to the left number 10 role and immediately started causing Morecambe problems, hit the post and also won the first penalty. He really is different to any of our other players in that role.

Jackson the last of the three changes moved to the right, replacing Edwards.

I like Jackson as a player, but in my opinion we do not function as well if he is playing the lone central role. We also lost our momentum when he moved into that role Away to Plymouth. I think there is definitely a place for Jackson in this squad, as either one of the 10's behind Ladapo or John-Jules OR as the Burns replacement at Right Wing Back.

All three moves created a positive, with John-Jules playing the central role better than Jackson, Edwards playing the left forward role better than John-Jules & Jackson being better than Edwards in the right wing back role.

In summary, really pleased with McKenna having the courage to change early in the game. Also if Ladapo doesn't start through the middle, I would definitely play John-Jules in that role ahead of Jackson.
Game Changed when we switched on 16:26 - Oct 9 with 889 viewsFfluff01

Yep, agree with this summary. I was sat within 10 feet of Mckenna and could hear his directions to the team all game. Really vocal and clear in both instruction and frustration, especially in that first half - the Jackson / Edwards switch made a difference and as he said in the interview, he had to make that reset given the surprise in Morecambe tactics vs what he’d expected.

He’s a smart manager and we’re lucky to have him.
Game Changed when we switched on 16:29 - Oct 9 with 865 viewsDJR

I think McKenna said that Morecambe didn't play as expected, so this meant that his initial set up didn't work, but I don't think this means that Jackson doesn't have a role as a main striker in certain games because McKenna picked him as such yesterday, and has done in at least one other game. For what it's worth, I thought that Jackson along with Edwards were our best forwards yesterday, and even before the switch he held up the ball pretty well. He also got us the winning penalty. But as is normally the case (and as I mentioned on another thread) Jackson ended up with the lowest score on the TWTD player ratings. Maybe McKenna and I are not as good a judge of his ability as most on TWTD.
Game Changed when we switched on 16:37 - Oct 9 with 821 viewsPJH

Certainly moving Edwards from the right to the left made a hell of a difference. He rarely got into the game on the right hand side although often the passes given to him were too short or overhit- that quality of passing was a problem throughout the team for most of the first half.
Once on the left, at the end of the first half and for most of the second half, Edwards looked dangerous. It also helped that the passing became better.
Game Changed when we switched on 16:55 - Oct 9 with 741 viewsvilanovablue

I don't really want Edwards operating as a wing back, he has much more impact further forward. Nonetheless good of Mckenna to recognise this and make that switch. His game management certainly seems excellent. A plan B for crying out loud, so good to see!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024