Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team 23:48 - Oct 11 with 3506 viewsEireannach_gorm

First time in the World Cup finals after beating Scotland 0-1 in the playoffs. Apt that a Donegal woman got the winning goal after the recent tragedy.

[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 11:23]
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 19:59 - Oct 12 with 950 viewsAlamoSam

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 19:23 - Oct 12 by RedX

Horrific sectarian chanting?

Get over yourself and educate yourself on Irish history.

There was absolutely no intention of sectarian chanting last night.

Yes, sectarian chanting. As the manager of the team herself points out quite rightly, meant or not this was hurtful. Chanting I.R.A. Or up the ra comes with a cache of information given the newer incarnation of the I.R.A. and the hurt they caused to both sides of the community here (I was born and lived in Belfast for 50 years so have lived through the very worst of the troubles) It is equally unacceptable to chant about the U.V.F. as the new incarnation of that group are far from the regiment who fought in the First World War and again have terrorised both communities. I hope nobody including yourself sees the chanting last night on what should have been an amazing night for the Irish womens team part of what should be (whatever the will of the people is here in time) a shared future for absolutely everyone on this island no matter their history or background
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:54 - Oct 13 with 810 viewsEireannach_gorm

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 19:59 - Oct 12 by AlamoSam

Yes, sectarian chanting. As the manager of the team herself points out quite rightly, meant or not this was hurtful. Chanting I.R.A. Or up the ra comes with a cache of information given the newer incarnation of the I.R.A. and the hurt they caused to both sides of the community here (I was born and lived in Belfast for 50 years so have lived through the very worst of the troubles) It is equally unacceptable to chant about the U.V.F. as the new incarnation of that group are far from the regiment who fought in the First World War and again have terrorised both communities. I hope nobody including yourself sees the chanting last night on what should have been an amazing night for the Irish womens team part of what should be (whatever the will of the people is here in time) a shared future for absolutely everyone on this island no matter their history or background

As a person who has lived on the island of Ireland for 64 years, I don't think that chanting that was done by the women, some who were not born when the Good Friday Agreement was signed, will seriously affect the shared future of people on this island. It was clearly not done in a pejorative or derogatory manner, just high spirited chanting about an increasingly irrelevant organisation.

You might have a look at the books mentioned here in relation to paramilitary organisations in Northern Ireland to help get a perspective.

https://www.historyireland.com/state-denial-british-collaboration-loyalist-param

I don't imagine the DUP did much chanting before they liveraged the Loyalist paramilitaries to prevent local government in NI so that's OK.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2022/0223/1282496-loyalist-paramilitaries-northern
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:12 - Oct 13 with 784 viewsMoriarty

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:54 - Oct 13 by Eireannach_gorm

As a person who has lived on the island of Ireland for 64 years, I don't think that chanting that was done by the women, some who were not born when the Good Friday Agreement was signed, will seriously affect the shared future of people on this island. It was clearly not done in a pejorative or derogatory manner, just high spirited chanting about an increasingly irrelevant organisation.

You might have a look at the books mentioned here in relation to paramilitary organisations in Northern Ireland to help get a perspective.

https://www.historyireland.com/state-denial-british-collaboration-loyalist-param

I don't imagine the DUP did much chanting before they liveraged the Loyalist paramilitaries to prevent local government in NI so that's OK.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2022/0223/1282496-loyalist-paramilitaries-northern

I think I would have to respectfully disagree there.

The murders and the atrocities of the IRA and the scope of their criminal activity goes way beyond self defence.

That SF are heading the polls in the South is a very damning indictment on how a country has allowed such an organisation to usurp the noble principle of unity. It’s a sad indictment on the stupidity and naivety of so many young people here who will vote for them because they see them as the flag bearers for unity and because they can’t distinguish bullsh@t from reality.

Pearse would wash his hands of them. There’s also the relevant and present context of how SF undermine democracy by suing media which seeks to expose them - example, the gagging of Clare Byrne’s interview with Shane Ross over Mary Lou McDonald and their other “defamation” cases against RTE and others.

Many innocent people died in Creeslagh and there was a great dignity about how that Community bore that. The Ladies football team wore black arm bands in tribute and it’s a pity they lacked the context and dignity of others. It is, and never will be, acceptable to celebrate the murder of innocent civilians - which is what you do when you celebrate that or shout “up the ‘Ra”.

We should never forget that.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 15:14]

fka omuircheartaigh

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:43 - Oct 13 with 742 viewsRedX

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:12 - Oct 13 by Moriarty

The murders and the atrocities of the IRA and the scope of their criminal activity goes way beyond self defence.

That SF are heading the polls in the South is a very damning indictment on how a country has allowed such an organisation to usurp the noble principle of unity. It’s a sad indictment on the stupidity and naivety of so many young people here who will vote for them because they see them as the flag bearers for unity and because they can’t distinguish bullsh@t from reality.

Pearse would wash his hands of them. There’s also the relevant and present context of how SF undermine democracy by suing media which seeks to expose them - example, the gagging of Clare Byrne’s interview with Shane Ross over Mary Lou McDonald and their other “defamation” cases against RTE and others.

Many innocent people died in Creeslagh and there was a great dignity about how that Community bore that. The Ladies football team wore black arm bands in tribute and it’s a pity they lacked the context and dignity of others. It is, and never will be, acceptable to celebrate the murder of innocent civilians - which is what you do when you celebrate that or shout “up the ‘Ra”.

SF are riding high in the polls simply because FF/FG have forgotten their own people when it comes to housing/health and many other issues.

I’m right down the south of the country and the only reasons I hear of people supporting SF is in the hope of an improvement on the above issues.

I can understand why the chanting has upset some people. I can absolutely assure everyone the song/chanting was done through complete naivety. Not a chance in a million years any person involved in that management and set up would be in support of the IRA or it’s past actions.

The late Queen visited our City of Cork in recent years and thousands of Corkonians came out to greet her. People were very sad on hearing her passing. Irish and english people are closer these days than some might think.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 16:27]
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:51 - Oct 13 with 730 viewsEireannach_gorm

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:12 - Oct 13 by Moriarty

You are perfectly entitled to your views to which I disagree with. Singing about the IRA does not equal celebrating the murder of anyone.

Sinn Féin support in the RoI is about discontent with the other parties and has nothing to do with the conflict in the North in fact the things you mention about them are only making them less popular with people like myself who do on or will not vote for them ( have to put them last in PR system ). The Sinn Féin is a populist party who are are trying to distance themselves from the past. Until they address this I will continue to put them at the bottom of my vote.

You don't seem to accept that the song was in the context of many songs in a celebration and not a statement of belief.

There are a lot of atrocities that have taken place both sides and I don't forget any of them ( Irish people are good at that ).
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:06 - Oct 13 with 699 viewsjaykay

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:51 - Oct 13 by Eireannach_gorm

You are perfectly entitled to your views to which I disagree with. Singing about the IRA does not equal celebrating the murder of anyone.

Sinn Féin support in the RoI is about discontent with the other parties and has nothing to do with the conflict in the North in fact the things you mention about them are only making them less popular with people like myself who do on or will not vote for them ( have to put them last in PR system ). The Sinn Féin is a populist party who are are trying to distance themselves from the past. Until they address this I will continue to put them at the bottom of my vote.

You don't seem to accept that the song was in the context of many songs in a celebration and not a statement of belief.

There are a lot of atrocities that have taken place both sides and I don't forget any of them ( Irish people are good at that ).

i can't believe alan partridge allowed a couple of i.r.a. songs on his show at the end

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:29 - Oct 13 with 679 viewsRedX

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:06 - Oct 13 by jaykay

i can't believe alan partridge allowed a couple of i.r.a. songs on his show at the end

That is absolute class 😃
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:37 - Oct 13 with 677 viewsleitrimblue

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:43 - Oct 13 by RedX

SF are riding high in the polls simply because FF/FG have forgotten their own people when it comes to housing/health and many other issues.

I’m right down the south of the country and the only reasons I hear of people supporting SF is in the hope of an improvement on the above issues.

I can understand why the chanting has upset some people. I can absolutely assure everyone the song/chanting was done through complete naivety. Not a chance in a million years any person involved in that management and set up would be in support of the IRA or it’s past actions.

The late Queen visited our City of Cork in recent years and thousands of Corkonians came out to greet her. People were very sad on hearing her passing. Irish and english people are closer these days than some might think.

I live up in the North West for the last 20 odd years and SF have been quite big here for most of that time. Though at this moment most of the people I know who are preparing to vote for um will be doing so due to issues like housing and health. There is a serious lack of housing in the Sligo/Leitrim area (especially social housing) and FG and FF are seen to have made no attempt to resolve this after all their years in government.
Also have to say I'm no more offended by someone singing up the RA or black an tans then I am by GSTK or any other weird nationalistic nonsense. But each to their own I guess
Login to get fewer ads

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:39 - Oct 13 with 668 viewsleitrimblue

Reminds me of my ex landlord. Argh, and 2 neighbours, and about 50% of sligo/Leitrim farmers I've met
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:45 - Oct 13 with 657 viewsRedX

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:37 - Oct 13 by leitrimblue

I live up in the North West for the last 20 odd years and SF have been quite big here for most of that time. Though at this moment most of the people I know who are preparing to vote for um will be doing so due to issues like housing and health. There is a serious lack of housing in the Sligo/Leitrim area (especially social housing) and FG and FF are seen to have made no attempt to resolve this after all their years in government.
Also have to say I'm no more offended by someone singing up the RA or black an tans then I am by GSTK or any other weird nationalistic nonsense. But each to their own I guess

It’s the same all over the country.

Our local council are building 70 modular homes for Ukranian refugees while there are thousands of locals on the waiting list for years. It’s stirring up a lot of tension. I can’t see how SF are going to fix any of this tbh. All the developers responsible for building private/social homes are in bed with either FF or FG for years and I can’t see them going out of their way for new SF housing policies. I fear a real slow down if SF get in after the next GE.

As for the health system. That’s been a lost cause for the last 20 years at least.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:47 - Oct 13 with 651 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:29 - Oct 13 by RedX

That is absolute class 😃

Yes, one of the funniest clips of the various series. Coogan's Irish impression and accent are great but I suppose it's not surprising since given his Irish heritage.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:52 - Oct 13 with 645 viewsRedX

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:47 - Oct 13 by DJR

Yes, one of the funniest clips of the various series. Coogan's Irish impression and accent are great but I suppose it's not surprising since given his Irish heritage.

He really gets it.

He is 100% on the ball with his accent and actions.

Superb 😃
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:52 - Oct 13 with 645 viewsAlamoSam

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:54 - Oct 13 by Eireannach_gorm

The FAI (swift and excellent response) UEFA, sky television (dropped sponsorship) and the now the Scottish police aren’t so quick to brush this off. I appreciate that a lot of the women were born pre GFA and didn’t for the most part mean to offend but it shows a real lack of understanding about how this is perceived by many here and in many ways the lack of understanding human to human is the sad thing. It has got a lot of coverage with even the most liberal commentators appalled so the idea this hasn’t done damage isn’t true and it will be wheeled out by the DUP (correct, they are duplicitous fire stokers) at the next election (which could be very soon) to demonstrate how a UI would be a cold house for Protestant/unionist community . Ireland has come a long way since the days of a quasi theocracy and should be proud of the huge progress on equality and inclusion (much better than here) but that display turned back the clock

The troubles was a dirty war with dastardly acts by both sides and the sooner everyone admits their hands are dirty then we can start to build a future. I don’t think whataboutery helps either otherwise we’d be sending each other links from now to doomsday to ‘prove’ another perspective.

I don’t suppose we’ll convince each other so we will have to agree to disagree about the impact of this. Best of luck to the women in the finals but I wish we were just talking about their achievement
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:05 - Oct 13 with 634 viewsleitrimblue

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:45 - Oct 13 by RedX

It’s the same all over the country.

Our local council are building 70 modular homes for Ukranian refugees while there are thousands of locals on the waiting list for years. It’s stirring up a lot of tension. I can’t see how SF are going to fix any of this tbh. All the developers responsible for building private/social homes are in bed with either FF or FG for years and I can’t see them going out of their way for new SF housing policies. I fear a real slow down if SF get in after the next GE.

As for the health system. That’s been a lost cause for the last 20 years at least.

I work a lot with developers and to a lesser extent Sligo and Donegal Council. They might not like me saying it but think they are gonna need to be encouraged more or even forced to build a large percentage of social housing for every private development they construct.
Though most if not all developers are FF or FG friendly, they have been let down quite badly by both these parties when it comes to the planning system over the last few years. Pre planning costs have absolutely spiralled and unless you have a serious amount of money behind you it's became a serious gamble just trying to achieve planning consent.
I was working with a developer/farmer in Crossmolina last week that had spent over a €100,000 on pre planning costs for 35 much needed houses and up to this moment he still hasn't got consent. That's a serious gamble at a time when houses are needed so badly
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:18 - Oct 13 with 623 viewsMoriarty

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:43 - Oct 13 by RedX

Cork is one of my favourite places. No wonder the Queen went there.

However I remain of the view shouting “up the Ra” is not innocent fun. It is never acceptable when wearing an Irish jersey. Especially in a week when the value on human civilian life was to the fore.

It was as appalling as the Orange Order’s “song” about Michaela McAreevy.

And when SF do get in, we will need to brace ourselves. The damage they will do will be severe. Very severe.

fka omuircheartaigh

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:34 - Oct 13 with 603 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:52 - Oct 13 by RedX

He really gets it.

He is 100% on the ball with his accent and actions.

Superb 😃

It's also classic cringeworthy Partridge. The way he taps along to Come Out Ye Black and Tans, and then begins to realise he probably shouldn't, is hilarious.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 18:22 - Oct 13 with 572 viewsEireannach_gorm

Superb.

Steve gets the Irish ( His mother and father were from Ireland )
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 18:31 - Oct 13 with 566 viewsEireannach_gorm

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:05 - Oct 13 by leitrimblue

I work a lot with developers and to a lesser extent Sligo and Donegal Council. They might not like me saying it but think they are gonna need to be encouraged more or even forced to build a large percentage of social housing for every private development they construct.
Though most if not all developers are FF or FG friendly, they have been let down quite badly by both these parties when it comes to the planning system over the last few years. Pre planning costs have absolutely spiralled and unless you have a serious amount of money behind you it's became a serious gamble just trying to achieve planning consent.
I was working with a developer/farmer in Crossmolina last week that had spent over a €100,000 on pre planning costs for 35 much needed houses and up to this moment he still hasn't got consent. That's a serious gamble at a time when houses are needed so badly

I hope you checked those blocks!
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 18:49 - Oct 13 with 530 viewsjaykay

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 18:22 - Oct 13 by Eireannach_gorm

Superb.

Steve gets the Irish ( His mother and father were from Ireland )

its awful hot in here

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024