Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R.I.P. Harry Belafonte 21:37 - Apr 27 with 977 viewsRyorry

Apols if I missed it, but haven't seen a tribute on here to the legend who died on Tuesday - and if I did miss it, I thought this song might be appropriate anyway! :)


Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

2
R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 22:22 - Apr 27 with 898 viewsGlasgowBlue

R.I.P. Sidney Potter.

Antisemites and Jew haters will be put on ignore.
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

0
R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 08:32 - Apr 28 with 823 viewsDJR

A great favourite of my dad's, and a fantastic activist for black rights.

This was the last time I remember seeing him.



And this is Chuck D's tribute.

[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 8:57]
1
R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 13:32 - Apr 28 with 791 viewsRyorry

R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 08:32 - Apr 28 by DJR

A great favourite of my dad's, and a fantastic activist for black rights.

This was the last time I remember seeing him.



And this is Chuck D's tribute.

[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 8:57]


Wonderful tribute by Chuck D "he was an activist who became an artist, not an artist who became an activist" - thanks for posting.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

2
R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 16:45 - Apr 28 with 761 viewsDJR

R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 13:32 - Apr 28 by Ryorry

Wonderful tribute by Chuck D "he was an activist who became an artist, not an artist who became an activist" - thanks for posting.


I have a lot of time for Chuck D who is an activist too.

He is the narrator (and I think producer) of the excellent BBC series "Fight The Power: How Hip Hop Changed The World".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Even if you don't like rap, this is worth watching because it shows rap music in the context of the black struggle.

One thing I didn't know (or might have forgotten) is that the 1986 Anti-Drug Abuse Act, crafted by then Senator Joe Biden, created a 100-1 sentencing disparity between crack cocaine and powder cocaine that saw black people disproportionately incarcerated.

There are recent moves to remove the disparity, but I am not sure how far they have got.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/wor
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 18:15]
1
R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 19:03 - Apr 28 with 736 viewsRyorry

R.I.P. Harry Belafonte on 16:45 - Apr 28 by DJR

I have a lot of time for Chuck D who is an activist too.

He is the narrator (and I think producer) of the excellent BBC series "Fight The Power: How Hip Hop Changed The World".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Even if you don't like rap, this is worth watching because it shows rap music in the context of the black struggle.

One thing I didn't know (or might have forgotten) is that the 1986 Anti-Drug Abuse Act, crafted by then Senator Joe Biden, created a 100-1 sentencing disparity between crack cocaine and powder cocaine that saw black people disproportionately incarcerated.

There are recent moves to remove the disparity, but I am not sure how far they have got.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/wor
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 18:15]


As it happens, I absolutely *love* rap, so once again thanks for posting, have bookmarked that for later 👍

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026