Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obscene. 07:43 - Jul 6 with 711 viewsNthQldITFC

Oil giant Shell warns cutting production 'dangerous'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66108553

These people are pushing to justify in advance what is tantamount to mass murder because we are unwilling to change our suicidal ways.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Obscene. on 08:37 - Jul 6 with 620 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“desperately needs oil and gas" as moves to renewable energy were not happening fast enough to replace it”

In some ways he’s correct, because successive UK governments have kicked the can down the road for so long. How long have we known about climate change? 20-30 years? We should have had plenty of nuclear but since the lead time on planning and construction falls outside an election cycle there is no interest. Now we’ll rely on French expertise or frighteningly Chinese.

Renewables too should have been funded directly from the public purse rather than subsidising multi billion dollar oil majors. There would even have been financial benefit to the UK as we could have sold cheap renewable and (not so cheap) nuclear energy to our neighbours. I’m afraid our politicians have failed us badly and we’ll pay the price through sky high energy costs, and increasingly extreme weather events.
Obscene. on 08:41 - Jul 6 with 599 viewsNthQldITFC

Obscene. on 08:37 - Jul 6 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“desperately needs oil and gas" as moves to renewable energy were not happening fast enough to replace it”

In some ways he’s correct, because successive UK governments have kicked the can down the road for so long. How long have we known about climate change? 20-30 years? We should have had plenty of nuclear but since the lead time on planning and construction falls outside an election cycle there is no interest. Now we’ll rely on French expertise or frighteningly Chinese.

Renewables too should have been funded directly from the public purse rather than subsidising multi billion dollar oil majors. There would even have been financial benefit to the UK as we could have sold cheap renewable and (not so cheap) nuclear energy to our neighbours. I’m afraid our politicians have failed us badly and we’ll pay the price through sky high energy costs, and increasingly extreme weather events.

Yes, I should have said 'are, and have been unwilling to change our suicidal ways.' It's on all of us.

Obscene. on 08:46 - Jul 6 with 585 viewsDanTheMan

Obscene. on 08:37 - Jul 6 by SuperKieranMcKenna

If only Shell, who made nearly $40bil in profits last year, were an energy company in a position to do something about the fact we need more clean energy.

Gosh darn it.

It's hilarious that a company like Shell, who aren't at all biased, is telling us we need even more oil and gas because it'd be dangerous otherwise whilst ignoring the massive environmental harm they do.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Obscene. on 13:13 - Jul 7 with 422 viewsHotShotHamish

Perhaps if less people made ridiculous comments such as 'tantamount to mass murder' then more people would take it seriously, rather than treating it like a political football.

Also, you have to consider that most of the problem is not about clean/renewable energy but is far more about the thousands, if not millions, of everyday products that are manufactured using oil. I think I read somewhere recently that close to 50% of the oil we extract is not used as an energy source but used in manufacturing other products.

Unless you want to try and persuade developing countries not to have what developed countries currently have then you cannot consider not extracting fossil fuels for the forseeable future.
Obscene. on 13:31 - Jul 7 with 384 viewsNthQldITFC

Obscene. on 13:13 - Jul 7 by HotShotHamish

Perhaps if less people made ridiculous comments such as 'tantamount to mass murder' then more people would take it seriously, rather than treating it like a political football.

Also, you have to consider that most of the problem is not about clean/renewable energy but is far more about the thousands, if not millions, of everyday products that are manufactured using oil. I think I read somewhere recently that close to 50% of the oil we extract is not used as an energy source but used in manufacturing other products.

Unless you want to try and persuade developing countries not to have what developed countries currently have then you cannot consider not extracting fossil fuels for the forseeable future.

In case you hadn't noticed, the science is crystal clear on the future consequences for millions of human lives (let alone other life) if we carry on with anything like current fossil fuel use. You'd have to be stark raving mad not to understand that.

You'd also have to be stark raving mad to think that you could suddenly stop extracting fossil fuels altogether. To paint the argument as a choice between one or the other is ridiculous, disingenuous, childish and dangerously manipulative.

The serious argument is that we need not to open new gas and oil fields and we need to actually start changing our lifestyles significantly if we have any sort of conscience and if we exist as anything other than greedy, selfish little consumers. The bullsh!t excuses and whataboutery need to stop.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024