Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Hall Community, East Bergholt 10:51 - Feb 20 with 979 viewsDJR

Interesting article about Old Hall, which I walked past many times in years gone by on walks in Constable Country.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/feb/20/everybody-looks-after-each-
[Post edited 20 Feb 12:53]
Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 11:37 - Feb 20 with 872 viewsZx1988

I have vague (and rather limited) recollections of going to some sort of open day/event there in the mid-90s as a young child.

A fair few activities for the youngsters - circus skills and (if I remember correctly) a range of weird and wonderful modified bicycles with interesting methods of propulsion such as pedalling backwards to go forwards and suchlike.

The other memory being that lunch was a massive jacket potato absolutely slathered in butter ('axle grease', as the chap serving it up described it) and cheese. It's weird what strangely specific details we remember from such obscure events, isn't it?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 11:55 - Feb 20 with 840 viewsDJR

Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 11:37 - Feb 20 by Zx1988

I have vague (and rather limited) recollections of going to some sort of open day/event there in the mid-90s as a young child.

A fair few activities for the youngsters - circus skills and (if I remember correctly) a range of weird and wonderful modified bicycles with interesting methods of propulsion such as pedalling backwards to go forwards and suchlike.

The other memory being that lunch was a massive jacket potato absolutely slathered in butter ('axle grease', as the chap serving it up described it) and cheese. It's weird what strangely specific details we remember from such obscure events, isn't it?

Actually something like that rings a bell with me, although I would have been much older. Or maybe I just saw the community featured on TV.
Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 12:12 - Feb 20 with 796 viewsPhilTWTD

Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 11:55 - Feb 20 by DJR

Actually something like that rings a bell with me, although I would have been much older. Or maybe I just saw the community featured on TV.

I went to a party there about 35 years ago. I seem to recall we slept in a chapel part of the building, between the pews at the side where the choir would sit.
Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 12:42 - Feb 20 with 747 viewsgtsb1966

I used to deliver flour there a few years ago. It was a very strange place. I remember going into the kitchen/Hall which was a very large open room with a small mezzanine floor at the back. There was a lady baking bread using the oldest, blackest tins I have ever seen. Sitting at an old wooden table were a family of 4, two adults a boy and a girl. They were all reading. Upon the mezzanine floor was a man playing a mandolin. Nobody said a single word. It was like I had been transported back 200 years. I found the whole experience very strange.
Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 12:49 - Feb 20 with 716 viewsmo_itfc

I don't want to be the guy correcting people, but it's Old Hall.

I've been there for a few family events, inc a wedding. It's great!
Not sure I'd want to live there though, but the people that do seem to love it and they do all help each other out.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 12:54 - Feb 20 with 679 viewsDJR

Old Hill Community, East Bergholt on 12:49 - Feb 20 by mo_itfc

I don't want to be the guy correcting people, but it's Old Hall.

I've been there for a few family events, inc a wedding. It's great!
Not sure I'd want to live there though, but the people that do seem to love it and they do all help each other out.

You're right to do so, and I've corrected the OP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024