Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First weekender away trip since COVID 20:35 - Mar 3 with 751 viewsPendejo

I know there are quite a few who do "weekenders" and more frequently than I do, but I've traditionally done one a season, and Plymouth was my first since COVID.

It was due to be Shrewsbury in 19/20 season, and previously has been Blackpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea, and multiple Sheffield stays.

Next season it will be Etihad, with any LUCK. Yes, that word.
Certainly hope so, I've not been back to the city, I once lived in, since 2001, when City of Manchester Stadium was rising from the rubble of Beswick.

Usually it's hotel or guest house, this time I borrowed the company camper van, and booked a pitch at a place recommended on this site by meadowlark.
Thanks it did the job, but that's once messed up bus service out there, who runs a bus service that turns around at a roundabout on a retail park, but doesn't stop at the retail park itself, well officially, the two we saw dropped passengers just after the roundabout, no bus stop, first one drive passed us as we walked up the hill to the stop. On arrival found we'd have to wait 30 mins until next one, so StevieH got on phone to local cab companies, 20 mins, 40 and hour. We waited for the bus.

In the sun it's was great, in the shade, that wind was biting.

A 20 minute or so bus ride and we were in the City Centre, would have liked more time to have a look at historic Plymouth, but it's a football day and Leeds were on the TV, we knew we had to at least equal their win to stay in contact. Newmarket Tavern £8.60 for 2 pints of Stella. Spoons is famous for sticky carpets, this place has sticky tables.
It was a pity Huddersfield didn't win, but the draw gave extra incentive, if ever there was, for us to win.

Minicab availability again abysmal. We got into the cab at 14:50 got to ground just before kick off.

The thing with the points system, smaller ticket allocations are less watered down, a higher ratio of support are prepared to be vocal. In terms of away fixtures, Swansea, Plymouth and Cardiff are a challenge to the committed fan. But with a team this promising, it's worth it.

The plan had been to meet Edwardstone and The Ciderman in the fan zone, but the onset of rain and a comfy seat in Newmarket Tavern get in the way.

We won! We kept a clean sheet and, most importantly, got ahead of Leeds. It is in our own hands, all we've got to do is win every game. Impossible, but under McKenna? Can lightning strike twice with an implausible run of results? I don't know, I don't make predictions, but I'm sure it will be exciting.

Afterwards, we repeated our post Millwall meet and greet with the players, but considerably less "in drink". I have got to say these guys, collectively, are a credit to the club. And I don't just mean Chaplin and Co. who play the most minutes; Walton, Aluko, Humphreys and Edmondson all diligently posed for photographs, signed autographs trying to make sure no-one was left out. Including the group of Plymouth school kids.
I thanked McKenna again and told it it was a pleasure to watch his team.

Got to say hello to SteveM, Edwardstone and The Ciderman after the game, and noticed they appeared in Norris' Twitter message of thanks.

There followed a tour of Plymouth Spoons, well two of them, watching young people enjoying life then into to a Curry House and back to the camper van. A successful day out.

We commenced the long drive back to London without breakfast, stopping at Brightside, Exeter to rectify this.

Plymouth is a long way from everywhere. Got to feel for them. Ipswich is out of the way for most of the clubs, but Plymouth? Miles from everywhere. Would like them to get a shot at Prem. If only because 48 years ago they sold us Mariner. They need a bigger stadium, Home Park used to hold 35,000 didn't it? Why rebuild so small?

One. Game. At. A. Time.

Sliding Doors moment; Bristol Rovers 14/02/23. What if Morsy had become so disaffected that like Nsiala he moved on?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First weekender away trip since COVID on 20:52 - Mar 3 with 675 viewsSteve_M

It was a really good day yesterday, familiar faces everywhere and rather a lot of alcohol imbibed all round. Good to see you, especially given it was rather a while ago we met previously.

There’s definitely something good about longer away trips, often regardless of the result but that helps too, a good chance to make a day or the weekend of it.

I needed an early morning walk around the harbour and the Ho to clear my head after yesterday though. Train then delayed on the way back by sheep on the line.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

First weekender away trip since COVID on 22:01 - Mar 3 with 531 viewsMeadowlark

Pity I missed you at the campsite. I cycled in as the weather was great late morning. Had one in 'spoons Union House where I met a few friendly faces, then on to the James Street Vaults which was well populated with blue and orange and met up with several more town fans including a large contingent from the S W Supporters club. Stayed there until about 2.30.
Fantastic day out. I would have stayed down in the west country for the Cardiff game next week, but we have Bristol at home on Tuesday night. Stopped near Bath tonight to see family so back in Suffolk tomorrow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024