Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Justice at work 11:58 - Apr 17 with 969 viewsIllinoisblue

And another reminder to not buy or click on the Sun or other Murdoch rags.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Justice at work on 12:36 - Apr 17 with 858 viewsredrickstuhaart

Not sure what point is being made. You sue. You get an offer to settle and you take it, if the amount and risk warrant it.
Justice at work on 12:49 - Apr 17 with 814 viewsIllinoisblue

Justice at work on 12:36 - Apr 17 by redrickstuhaart

Not sure what point is being made. You sue. You get an offer to settle and you take it, if the amount and risk warrant it.

The point? Money stops a man from having his day in court.

But the rules around civil litigation mean that if I proceed to trial and the court  awards me damages that are even a penny less than the settlement offer, I would have to pay the legal costs of both sides.

Rupert Murdoch has spent over £1billon in damages to claimants and in lawyers’ fees, settling over 1500 claims in this way. He seems remarkably determined that there shouldn’t be a trial of the facts.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Justice at work on 13:04 - Apr 17 with 748 viewsredrickstuhaart

Justice at work on 12:49 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

The point? Money stops a man from having his day in court.

But the rules around civil litigation mean that if I proceed to trial and the court  awards me damages that are even a penny less than the settlement offer, I would have to pay the legal costs of both sides.

Rupert Murdoch has spent over £1billon in damages to claimants and in lawyers’ fees, settling over 1500 claims in this way. He seems remarkably determined that there shouldn’t be a trial of the facts.

Money does nothing of the sort here. The case is to recover damages. If you are offered a fair amount, you have succeeded. Court is for resolving disputes, not publicity or the opportunity to make speeches!
Justice at work on 13:24 - Apr 17 with 680 viewsDJR

Justice at work on 13:04 - Apr 17 by redrickstuhaart

Money does nothing of the sort here. The case is to recover damages. If you are offered a fair amount, you have succeeded. Court is for resolving disputes, not publicity or the opportunity to make speeches!

Having helped a couple of people with unfair dismissal/redundancy cases, my experience of settlements (given most claimants don't have the resources to risk going to court) is that non-disclosure agreements in settlements are designed to prevent adverse publicity and even cover up dodgy practice on behalf of the employers.

I realise that things may have moved on since then on the whistleblowing front, but at the time I took the view because of the NDA that it might risk the settlement agreed were I to to report a large coach company which paid its employees in cash on occasions to HMRC.
[Post edited 17 Apr 14:57]
Justice at work on 14:48 - Apr 17 with 516 viewsZx1988

Justice at work on 13:04 - Apr 17 by redrickstuhaart

But, at the same time, News Corp maintains its position of not having been found guilty in any of these cases. Exactly the same principle as Prince Nonce paying off Victoria Giuffre. There's nothing on official record stating that they did what they're alleged to have done.

https://lexlaw.co.uk/what-is-a-calderbank-offer/

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Justice at work on 19:01 - Apr 17 with 377 viewscooperd5

Justice at work on 14:48 - Apr 17 by Zx1988

But, at the same time, News Corp maintains its position of not having been found guilty in any of these cases. Exactly the same principle as Prince Nonce paying off Victoria Giuffre. There's nothing on official record stating that they did what they're alleged to have done.

https://lexlaw.co.uk/what-is-a-calderbank-offer/

As per Nick De Marco... It's better to settle than go to court...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024