Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. 07:52 - May 14 with 1538 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/14/europe-power-fear-

'Fear goes a long way in explaining Europe’s approach to north Africa and the Middle East. Whereas in Ukraine, fear has translated as excessive caution and restraint, when it comes to countries in the southern Mediterranean and Africa, fear equals abdicating on foreign policy altogether. Europe is not just scared of these countries, it is literally terrified. Europe’s ageing population should lead to a rational and self-interested debate on fostering legal migration, but instead fear explains the current scramble for unethical deals that pay cash to countries in the region in return for their pledges to stop migration to Europe. The EU’s recent deals with regimes in Tunisia, Egypt, Mauritania and Lebanon are testament to this. To be clear: the past was not perfect. As Democratic Republic of the Congo president Félix Tshisekedi bluntly put it in a recent interview, African leaders have long tired of western democracies’ lecturing and arrogance and are happier to work with Russia and China.

Moreover, behind Europe’s talk of justice and honesty always lay crude material interests. The obsession with stopping migration while negotiating unfair trade and natural resource extraction deals is not new. And with every crisis, Europe’s selfishness and double standards have been confirmed: just think about the west’s vaccine-hoarding during the pandemic or the vastly insufficient climate finance channelled to Africa.

But at least in the past, even though it was insufficient and incoherent, there was an ambition to exert influence and to help the continent through foreign and development policies. Now policy boils down to a crude transactionalism, where European countries and EU institutions engage with African counterparts as if they were CEOs signing business deals. The “money for (no) migrants” approach is not foreign policy. It’s the abdication of foreign policy.

Fear is even more striking in the Middle East, and especially in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. No single reason explains why European governments choose not to exert influence, while potentially having plenty. The EU has long been a major trade partner for Israel, and after the US, Germany is Israel’s largest military supplier. The EU is also the Palestinians’ biggest aid donor. Yet never has there been the slightest hint at using these levers. Once again, fear steps in. Fear, in this case, of Israel’s accusations of antisemitism plays a huge role. These accusations have now been distorted and expanded in many cases to include any criticism of Israel or expression of anti-Zionism.'

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:10 - May 14 with 1434 viewsGuthrum

All looks pretty standard.

Despite the need (as the article points out) for immigrant workers - see the health and care industries, for example - there is a terrible fear among the electorate that "their culture" will be overwhelmed by that of incomers. This despite the fact that said culture has already been amended over hundreds of years by influences from outside. From food to art to religion to music. Quite a bit of it from the very parts of the world whence they now fear immigration.

Or the aspect of crime. When immigrant communities are kept in relative poverty and semi-excluded from the rest of society (e.g. ghettoisation of North Africans in France), then the only route to prosperity is outside the law. Fuelled by the demand for things like drugs among the native population. It's like the Middle Ages where people needed to borrow money, left it to the outcast Jews, then persecuted them for it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:14 - May 14 with 1422 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:10 - May 14 by Guthrum

All looks pretty standard.

Despite the need (as the article points out) for immigrant workers - see the health and care industries, for example - there is a terrible fear among the electorate that "their culture" will be overwhelmed by that of incomers. This despite the fact that said culture has already been amended over hundreds of years by influences from outside. From food to art to religion to music. Quite a bit of it from the very parts of the world whence they now fear immigration.

Or the aspect of crime. When immigrant communities are kept in relative poverty and semi-excluded from the rest of society (e.g. ghettoisation of North Africans in France), then the only route to prosperity is outside the law. Fuelled by the demand for things like drugs among the native population. It's like the Middle Ages where people needed to borrow money, left it to the outcast Jews, then persecuted them for it.

While acting in the interest of big business....

"The obsession with stopping migration while negotiating unfair trade and natural resource extraction deals is not new."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:50 - May 14 with 1344 viewslowhouseblue

i'm not sure the uk can really be accused of not fostering legal migration.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:59 - May 14 with 1297 viewsgiant_stow

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:50 - May 14 by lowhouseblue

i'm not sure the uk can really be accused of not fostering legal migration.

So Brexit has coincided with increased migration? No problem with me - we need the workers, but I wonder how Brexiteers feel about that?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 10:01 - May 14 with 1282 viewslowhouseblue

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 09:59 - May 14 by giant_stow

So Brexit has coincided with increased migration? No problem with me - we need the workers, but I wonder how Brexiteers feel about that?

indeed. a big shift in the pattern post 2016

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 10:28 - May 14 with 1173 viewsEuropablue

Brexit wasn't about stopping immigration, it was about having agency to decide for ourselves. I agree with that concept even though I think the result is worse and I voted remain pragmatically although, morally I'm the brexit side of things.
Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 10:37 - May 14 with 1147 viewsEuropablue

Immigration isn't a problem it is the scale of immigration. The thing is that there are a lot of difficulties for people to integrate when they come from another country and culture and probably another language.
Another problem not much talked about is internal migration which added to mass immigration all leads to transiency and unsettled communities and less trust and probably more crime as well.
Believe it or not, British (English) culture has a lot that is worthwhile holding on to. Certain beliefs are not compatible with the live and let live attitude of the British, which will probably be the end of our culture as we are consumed by more assertive cultures.
The food in the UK is pretty decent now that we have Indian, Thai, Japanese, and Mexican food to add to fish and chips and scones.
Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 11:38 - May 14 with 1074 viewsGuthrum

It's partly beacuse a lot of EU citizens have gone and been replaced by immigrant workers from Asia and Africa. From personal experience and that of friends who work in those sectors, most notably in care and health.

Login to get fewer ads

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 12:48 - May 14 with 1007 viewslowhouseblue

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 11:38 - May 14 by Guthrum

It's partly beacuse a lot of EU citizens have gone and been replaced by immigrant workers from Asia and Africa. From personal experience and that of friends who work in those sectors, most notably in care and health.

this is indeed the case:

but most migrants aren't here primarily to work:

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:09 - May 14 with 952 viewsWeWereZombies

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 10:37 - May 14 by Europablue

Immigration isn't a problem it is the scale of immigration. The thing is that there are a lot of difficulties for people to integrate when they come from another country and culture and probably another language.
Another problem not much talked about is internal migration which added to mass immigration all leads to transiency and unsettled communities and less trust and probably more crime as well.
Believe it or not, British (English) culture has a lot that is worthwhile holding on to. Certain beliefs are not compatible with the live and let live attitude of the British, which will probably be the end of our culture as we are consumed by more assertive cultures.
The food in the UK is pretty decent now that we have Indian, Thai, Japanese, and Mexican food to add to fish and chips and scones.

'Scunge, which is real negligee
housework in a swimsuit, pyjamas worn all day,
is holiday, is freedom from ambition.
Scunge makes you invisible
to the world and yourself.

The entropy of costume,
scunge can get you conquered by more vigorous cultures
and help you notice it less.'

from 'The Dream of Wearing Shorts Forever' by Les Murray

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:13 - May 14 with 922 viewsRadioOrwell

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 10:28 - May 14 by Europablue

Brexit wasn't about stopping immigration, it was about having agency to decide for ourselves. I agree with that concept even though I think the result is worse and I voted remain pragmatically although, morally I'm the brexit side of things.

We always could decide for ourselves.

If you’re a non-EU national looking to move to an EU country for work, study or to join a family member, you may be entitled to certain rights under EU immigration rules. The EU and EU countries share competences in this area, but it’s up to each EU country to take the final decision on individual migrant applications. In areas where no EU rules have been adopted, EU countries can also set the conditions on obtaining residence and work permits in their country.
Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:19 - May 14 with 888 viewslowhouseblue

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:09 - May 14 by WeWereZombies

'Scunge, which is real negligee
housework in a swimsuit, pyjamas worn all day,
is holiday, is freedom from ambition.
Scunge makes you invisible
to the world and yourself.

The entropy of costume,
scunge can get you conquered by more vigorous cultures
and help you notice it less.'

from 'The Dream of Wearing Shorts Forever' by Les Murray

oh lovely, australian poetry. what does scunge mean here?

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:33 - May 14 with 837 viewsGuthrum

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 12:48 - May 14 by lowhouseblue

this is indeed the case:

but most migrants aren't here primarily to work:

Our universities rely on overseas students for income. Plus all the foreign children being sent to the UK's public schools.

I would add dependents and families to those coming here for work. Is it really fair to separate husbands, wives and children?

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:39 - May 14 with 800 viewslowhouseblue

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:33 - May 14 by Guthrum

Our universities rely on overseas students for income. Plus all the foreign children being sent to the UK's public schools.

I would add dependents and families to those coming here for work. Is it really fair to separate husbands, wives and children?

all of that is true. but the proportion of migrants who come to directly fill job vacancies is very low. migration isn't primarily a labour market phenomena.

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 14:03 - May 14 with 734 viewsWeWereZombies

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 13:19 - May 14 by lowhouseblue

oh lovely, australian poetry. what does scunge mean here?

Downsizing...

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 14:10 - May 14 with 709 viewslowhouseblue

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 14:03 - May 14 by WeWereZombies

Downsizing...

thanks. you know those people who have to have jokes explained to them. i'm like that with poetry.
[Post edited 14 May 14:11]

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 14:21 - May 14 with 666 viewsWeWereZombies

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 14:10 - May 14 by lowhouseblue

thanks. you know those people who have to have jokes explained to them. i'm like that with poetry.
[Post edited 14 May 14:11]

EuropaBlue's post had a line about other cultures subsuming an English one (whatever that is, ask a hundred people and you will get a hundred different answers I suspect.) I doubt that will happen any time soon but it reminded me of my favourite poem (and one that changed my life,) by the very best, until his death a few years ago, poet in the English language today (in much the same paradoxical way that no one can hold a light to Irish born Edna O'Brien when it comes to writing novels or Jamaican Bob Marley when it comes to writing songs.)

It just occurred to me (and 'what's occurring' is the best use of two English words and it takes the Welsh to realise that) English has a takeover like quality that spreads Englishness far and wide (even Rabbie Burns used English as much as he used Scots dialect and even more than he used Gaelic) which is remarkable for a language that, according to Melvyn Bragg in his 'Routes of English', would have been wiped out by the Normans but for the skullduggery of some monks at Peterborough Abbey. C'est la vie.

Edited the penultimate line to correct omission of 'been' between 'have' and 'wiped'.

[Post edited 14 May 14:34]

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 22:45 - May 14 with 461 viewsEuropablue

Today's report from Guardian world.....The E.U. on 14:21 - May 14 by WeWereZombies

EuropaBlue's post had a line about other cultures subsuming an English one (whatever that is, ask a hundred people and you will get a hundred different answers I suspect.) I doubt that will happen any time soon but it reminded me of my favourite poem (and one that changed my life,) by the very best, until his death a few years ago, poet in the English language today (in much the same paradoxical way that no one can hold a light to Irish born Edna O'Brien when it comes to writing novels or Jamaican Bob Marley when it comes to writing songs.)

It just occurred to me (and 'what's occurring' is the best use of two English words and it takes the Welsh to realise that) English has a takeover like quality that spreads Englishness far and wide (even Rabbie Burns used English as much as he used Scots dialect and even more than he used Gaelic) which is remarkable for a language that, according to Melvyn Bragg in his 'Routes of English', would have been wiped out by the Normans but for the skullduggery of some monks at Peterborough Abbey. C'est la vie.

Edited the penultimate line to correct omission of 'been' between 'have' and 'wiped'.

[Post edited 14 May 14:34]

Everyone knows what British culture is supposed to be even if people aren't that good at defining it. We know what isn't supposed to be British culture.
Who would want to live in a world where everywhere is basically the same?
The race of the people in the country really doesn't matter, but the great English traits that English people have had for centuries should be retained and iterated on.
What makes me think people are English is their accent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024