Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour Friends of Israel 08:25 - May 24 with 3625 viewsunbelievablue

Just to lighten the mood a bit, anyone got an objective analysis of this group, what they stand for, how they've conducted themselves etc. in the context of the Labour Party? Danke.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Labour Friends of Israel on 11:24 - May 24 with 951 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour Friends of Israel on 10:48 - May 24 by leitrimblue

The same Sean 0'Callaghan who left the IRA in the mid 70,s and then worked as a spy for the Irish government from the late 70,s onwards? If Sean 0'Callaghan said it then it must be a fact .

Clearly Thatcher did more for peace in Northern Ireland..

You wanna discuss the British states support for murderous loyalist terrorists and there involvement in murdering there own innocent citizans?

I’d say O’callaghan was better placed to give an assessment of Corbyn’s support for the IRA than you. Are you going to address the comments of Seamus Mallon?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour Friends of Israel on 11:31 - May 24 with 924 viewsleitrimblue

Labour Friends of Israel on 11:24 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

I’d say O’callaghan was better placed to give an assessment of Corbyn’s support for the IRA than you. Are you going to address the comments of Seamus Mallon?

Really, I'd suggest that Sean O' Callaghan who left the IRA in 1975 and then married a ulster protestant and spent the next few years as a 'spy' for the Irush government knows no more about Corbyns support for the IRA.
Luckily no one really takes a word he says seriously.
When you address the British states support for murderous loyalist terrorists gangs like the Glenanne gang
Labour Friends of Israel on 11:33 - May 24 with 918 viewsleitrimblue

Labour Friends of Israel on 11:24 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

I never thought I'd say it but this is almost a pleasant escape from worrying about Mckennas next move
Labour Friends of Israel on 12:06 - May 24 with 883 viewsGlasgowBlue

You didn’t really get an answer to your question. LFI promotes close relationship with the Labour Party in Israel and close ties between the UK and Israel. In the same way Labour Friends of Japan, Ireland etc does.

Regarding their conduct, they have issued statements advising against the invasion of Rafah, calling for a return of the hostages, calling for a two state solution etc. nothing that isn’t in the public domain

Iron Lion Zion

Labour Friends of Israel on 12:07 - May 24 with 880 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour Friends of Israel on 11:31 - May 24 by leitrimblue

Really, I'd suggest that Sean O' Callaghan who left the IRA in 1975 and then married a ulster protestant and spent the next few years as a 'spy' for the Irush government knows no more about Corbyns support for the IRA.
Luckily no one really takes a word he says seriously.
When you address the British states support for murderous loyalist terrorists gangs like the Glenanne gang

Seanus Mallon?

Iron Lion Zion

Labour Friends of Israel on 12:30 - May 24 with 844 viewsDJR

Labour Friends of Israel on 12:06 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

You didn’t really get an answer to your question. LFI promotes close relationship with the Labour Party in Israel and close ties between the UK and Israel. In the same way Labour Friends of Japan, Ireland etc does.

Regarding their conduct, they have issued statements advising against the invasion of Rafah, calling for a return of the hostages, calling for a two state solution etc. nothing that isn’t in the public domain

The sad thing (from my point of view) is the decline of the left in Israel over the years, with Labor currently having only 4 of the 122 Knesset seats.

Labor was the main political party from 1968 to 1977, and if you include its predecessor Mapai, the first six prime ministers of Israel were from the left.

And you are right, that those on the left (which these days also includes Maretz with no seats) tend to still favour a two state solution.
[Post edited 24 May 12:41]
Labour Friends of Israel on 14:20 - May 24 with 775 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour Friends of Israel on 09:26 - May 24 by Blueschev

He will win. He's an extremely popular constituency MP, local members have been barred from the selection process of their own candidate, and Corbyn will vote with a Labour government more than he doesn't, so will essentially remain a Labour MP in all but name, so frustrated Labour voters won't fear facilitating the Tories by voting for him.

Active members of Islington North CLP issue statement saying it “saddens us that our MP should turn his back on our local campaign to elect a Labour Government.” They add:”his announcement today is a distraction from the real fight which is against the Tories. He is someone who doesn’t represent the future but represents the past.”

They say:” We are a group of more than 100 active Islington North ordinary party members who have been meeting regularly at social events to prepare for this eventuality. All are committed to fighting for the Labour candidate and a Labour victory. We call on those members of of the executive of the CLP who won’t condemn the candidacy of Jeremy Corbyn and wholeheartedly support the Labour candidate to stand down. “

Alexander Gardiner, group organiser, said: “Britain desperately needs a change to clear up the disaster of 14 years of Conservative Government. This is a self-indulgent distraction by a man who can’t accept that his time is up. Islington is a diverse community that faces real challenges. It needs a dynamic, forward-thinking MP ready to bring about real change.”

Re your statement that "Corbyn will vote with a Labour government more than he doesn't", he voted against his own government in Parliament 428 times.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour Friends of Israel on 14:48 - May 24 with 738 viewsBlueschev

Labour Friends of Israel on 14:20 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

Active members of Islington North CLP issue statement saying it “saddens us that our MP should turn his back on our local campaign to elect a Labour Government.” They add:”his announcement today is a distraction from the real fight which is against the Tories. He is someone who doesn’t represent the future but represents the past.”

They say:” We are a group of more than 100 active Islington North ordinary party members who have been meeting regularly at social events to prepare for this eventuality. All are committed to fighting for the Labour candidate and a Labour victory. We call on those members of of the executive of the CLP who won’t condemn the candidacy of Jeremy Corbyn and wholeheartedly support the Labour candidate to stand down. “

Alexander Gardiner, group organiser, said: “Britain desperately needs a change to clear up the disaster of 14 years of Conservative Government. This is a self-indulgent distraction by a man who can’t accept that his time is up. Islington is a diverse community that faces real challenges. It needs a dynamic, forward-thinking MP ready to bring about real change.”

Re your statement that "Corbyn will vote with a Labour government more than he doesn't", he voted against his own government in Parliament 428 times.

Who wrote that, Owen Smith? We shall see but I'd be very surprised if he didn't win.

How many times in 40 years did he vote with Labour?
Login to get fewer ads

Labour Friends of Israel on 16:56 - May 24 with 670 viewsClapham_Junction

Labour Friends of Israel on 14:20 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

I am a member of the CLP in question and I think these people are very much in the minority, particularly as the party has seemingly done as much as possible to alienate local members. The selection process was an absolute farce; we were notified on 15 May that the process was opening, with a deadline for applications on the 20th and the shortlist to be announced on the 23rd. Voting was due to start tomorrow and then an online only hustings on the 29th, at which only the candidates and moderator would be allowed to speak. I assume it was online as they didn't dare let candidate face the members in case they heard what they thought about the process.

A shortlist of two was made public yesterday, but then today it's suddenly in the news that one of the two has been selected (according to LabourList, the NEC simply decided to abandon the selection process and pick the candidate themselves). Local members were told about none of this and have received no updates since the email on the 15th. Part of me wonders whether this is deliberate alienation to get any vaguely left-wing members of the CLP to leave in disgust. It will certainly be interesting to see how many of the local grandees campaign with the candidate.

Sem Moema (the one who has not been selected for reasons not shared with members) would actually have been a worthy candidate to replace Corbyn in the long-run, but maybe it's for the best for her that she won't be thrown to the wolves (although even by nominating herself she has created bad blood locally).

Some local views on the matter here: https://www.islingtontribune.co.uk/article/hellooo-is-praful-there-its-total-sil

And re him voting against the government, I don't care whether my MP votes in line with the position of their party – what I want for them to do is vote in line with what is wrong or right, not blindly follow their leader.
Labour Friends of Israel on 17:50 - May 24 with 617 viewsDJR

Labour Friends of Israel on 16:56 - May 24 by Clapham_Junction

I am a member of the CLP in question and I think these people are very much in the minority, particularly as the party has seemingly done as much as possible to alienate local members. The selection process was an absolute farce; we were notified on 15 May that the process was opening, with a deadline for applications on the 20th and the shortlist to be announced on the 23rd. Voting was due to start tomorrow and then an online only hustings on the 29th, at which only the candidates and moderator would be allowed to speak. I assume it was online as they didn't dare let candidate face the members in case they heard what they thought about the process.

A shortlist of two was made public yesterday, but then today it's suddenly in the news that one of the two has been selected (according to LabourList, the NEC simply decided to abandon the selection process and pick the candidate themselves). Local members were told about none of this and have received no updates since the email on the 15th. Part of me wonders whether this is deliberate alienation to get any vaguely left-wing members of the CLP to leave in disgust. It will certainly be interesting to see how many of the local grandees campaign with the candidate.

Sem Moema (the one who has not been selected for reasons not shared with members) would actually have been a worthy candidate to replace Corbyn in the long-run, but maybe it's for the best for her that she won't be thrown to the wolves (although even by nominating herself she has created bad blood locally).

Some local views on the matter here: https://www.islingtontribune.co.uk/article/hellooo-is-praful-there-its-total-sil

And re him voting against the government, I don't care whether my MP votes in line with the position of their party – what I want for them to do is vote in line with what is wrong or right, not blindly follow their leader.

That's current day Labour Party democracy for you, and one reason I resigned from an increasingly authoritarian party.

Interesting to note that Paul Mason (who has tried for a number of seats) was kept off the shortlist in Islington.

He is probably too left wing and maverick for today's Labour Party. And Eddie Izzard doesn't seem to have been successful in getting on the shortlist Brighton, once again presumably because he is too much of a maverick: being trans may not have helped either.
[Post edited 24 May 17:52]
Labour Friends of Israel on 21:37 - May 24 with 538 viewsClapham_Junction

Labour Friends of Israel on 17:50 - May 24 by DJR

That's current day Labour Party democracy for you, and one reason I resigned from an increasingly authoritarian party.

Interesting to note that Paul Mason (who has tried for a number of seats) was kept off the shortlist in Islington.

He is probably too left wing and maverick for today's Labour Party. And Eddie Izzard doesn't seem to have been successful in getting on the shortlist Brighton, once again presumably because he is too much of a maverick: being trans may not have helped either.
[Post edited 24 May 17:52]

This was Mason's fifth or sixth attempt to get selected and I think it was just becoming embarrassing with him trying to find a new angle for each new seat he was trying for.

Will be interesting to see whether we end up with a repeat of Ken Livingston vs Frank Dobson.
Labour Friends of Israel on 19:31 - Jun 9 with 239 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour Friends of Israel on 12:06 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024