Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday's forgotten hidden gems 15:21 - Oct 2 with 2651 viewshype313


Poll: Should Muric be dropped?

3
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 06:53 - Oct 6 with 580 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Never sure why these never had more commercial success. Timing probably.


Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 07:03 - Oct 6 with 573 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

And who remembers Culture?


Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 07:31 - Oct 6 with 547 viewsWeWereZombies

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 06:53 - Oct 6 by You_Bloo_Right

Never sure why these never had more commercial success. Timing probably.



They did have a hit single (Ships In The Night) but Bill Nelson made it known he didn't think much of his own song, probably wanted success on his own terms - who would have thought of it from a Yorkshireman ?

But as you say, timing. They were post punk before punk even got started, too self aware to appeal to the prog crowd, too adventurous to be a blues band, too flash for jazz, they fell between a lot of stools...Somehow The Blockheads trod a similar path but made it through but other bands didn't.

Exhibit A:


Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 07:47 - Oct 6 with 533 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Yes Top of the Pops was a great single and deserved big hit but loved this mob back in the day, for Fay and Eugene if nothing else.


Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

2
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 07:58 - Oct 6 with 528 viewsWeWereZombies

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 07:47 - Oct 6 by You_Bloo_Right

Yes Top of the Pops was a great single and deserved big hit but loved this mob back in the day, for Fay and Eugene if nothing else.



You are not alone in your admiration of their fragile genius:

[Post edited 6 Oct 17:21]

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

2
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 08:08 - Oct 6 with 524 viewsDJR

These two songs are up there with the best Ramones' songs.

From 1992, not long before the demise of the band and with Dee Dee no longer a member, they were written by him and given to the band in return for money to pay for a lawyer to help get him off a drugs charge.

The lyrics appear autobiographical in the sense of dealing with the various issues he faced, and sadly he died of a drug overdose in 2001.

"Well no one ever thought this one would survive
Helpless child, going to walk a drum beat behind
I lock you in a dream, I never let you go
I never let you laugh or smile, not you

Well, I just want to walk right out of this world
'Cause everybody has a poison heart
I just want to walk right out of this world
'Cause everybody has a poison heart"



"Walking through the cross fire heart
Feeling heavy and hopeless and
Wondering how I ever will see through this darkness
Every drop of blood can be so beautiful
And I sure was bleeding the drops by the bucketful"

[Post edited 6 Oct 8:09]
0
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 08:14 - Oct 6 with 509 viewsDJR

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 07:47 - Oct 6 by You_Bloo_Right

Yes Top of the Pops was a great single and deserved big hit but loved this mob back in the day, for Fay and Eugene if nothing else.



Their cartoon/pop art look was great, and I loved this one.

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 16:50 - Oct 6 with 424 viewsmarKoffC

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 16:09 - Oct 4 by DJR

I saw Be Stiff, the second stiff tour. The line-up (Wreckless Eric, Lene Lovich, Jona Lewie, Mickey Jupp, and Rachel Sweet) wasn't as strong as the first Stiff tour but four of them had some commercial success.

This was the stand-out song from the tour.

[Post edited 4 Oct 16:10]


Caught Wreckless Eric at a side stage at Latitude last year... I'd waited over 40 years to hear it live...
[still not been to Tahiti]
[Post edited 6 Oct 16:53]
1
Login to get fewer ads

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 16:55 - Oct 6 with 421 viewsTractor_Buck

0
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 17:01 - Oct 6 with 417 viewsmarKoffC

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 11:00 - Oct 4 by DJR

A song which probably didn't go much further than John Peel but is catchy and has some amusing lyrics, "Gonna put the fun back into being pretentious" being a great line.

[Post edited 4 Oct 14:33]


Not a real group. Got no video LP...
1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 17:22 - Oct 6 with 390 viewsDJR

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 17:01 - Oct 6 by marKoffC

Not a real group. Got no video LP...


I came across this from a fellow fan, and also didn't know what bias binding is.

https://sconney.blogspot.com/2

And this video from 2022.

[Post edited 6 Oct 17:33]
1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 17:43 - Oct 6 with 371 viewsmarKoffC

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 17:22 - Oct 6 by DJR

I came across this from a fellow fan, and also didn't know what bias binding is.

https://sconney.blogspot.com/2

And this video from 2022.

[Post edited 6 Oct 17:33]


Great that they're still touring. I had no idea about bias binding either - fairly sure they were a Leicester band and fabric production was a big thing there possibly?? I saw them at the Poly
1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 19:01 - Oct 6 with 328 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Frankie Who? Frankie Fecking Miller That's Who


Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

2
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 23:24 - Oct 6 with 277 viewsIndependentlyBlue


Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 23:28 - Oct 6 with 276 viewsIndependentlyBlue


Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 08:23 - Oct 7 with 191 viewsDJR

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 19:01 - Oct 6 by You_Bloo_Right

Frankie Who? Frankie Fecking Miller That's Who



On the countries' music thread I posted a link to Dougie MacLean's Caledonia but Frankie Miller also did a great version, which also featured in a Tennant's lager ad.





Whilst he didn't have a great deal of commercial success, I didn't realise how highly regarded he was by his peers. or that his musical career had been ended at the age of 45 due to a brain haemorrhage.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com
[Post edited 7 Oct 8:25]
1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 12:25 - Oct 7 with 125 viewsWeWereZombies

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 08:23 - Oct 7 by DJR

On the countries' music thread I posted a link to Dougie MacLean's Caledonia but Frankie Miller also did a great version, which also featured in a Tennant's lager ad.





Whilst he didn't have a great deal of commercial success, I didn't realise how highly regarded he was by his peers. or that his musical career had been ended at the age of 45 due to a brain haemorrhage.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com
[Post edited 7 Oct 8:25]


I didn't know about the brain haemorrhage but I am always surprised that he is still with us given his reputation for hell raising earlier on. And you probably know this already but:

'When Frankie Miller recorded his 1991 version of the song for a Tennent's Lager television advertisement and subsequent single release, MacLean replaced the original line "I have kissed the ladies and left them crying" with the new lyric "I have stolen dreams". MacLean grew to prefer this updated version and has continued to perform it with the changed lyric ever since.'

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 12:54 - Oct 7 with 115 viewsWeWereZombies


Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

1
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 13:01 - Oct 7 with 104 viewsDJR

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 12:25 - Oct 7 by WeWereZombies

I didn't know about the brain haemorrhage but I am always surprised that he is still with us given his reputation for hell raising earlier on. And you probably know this already but:

'When Frankie Miller recorded his 1991 version of the song for a Tennent's Lager television advertisement and subsequent single release, MacLean replaced the original line "I have kissed the ladies and left them crying" with the new lyric "I have stolen dreams". MacLean grew to prefer this updated version and has continued to perform it with the changed lyric ever since.'


Yes, I was aware that he had slightly sanitised the lyrics.

Had he not, I might not have played it at my dad's funeral.

And I thought of you when I read this article, although Skye isn't quite as remote as Shetlan or the Outer Hebrides

https://www.theguardian.com/bu
0
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 13:12 - Oct 7 with 95 viewsWeWereZombies

Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 13:01 - Oct 7 by DJR

Yes, I was aware that he had slightly sanitised the lyrics.

Had he not, I might not have played it at my dad's funeral.

And I thought of you when I read this article, although Skye isn't quite as remote as Shetlan or the Outer Hebrides

https://www.theguardian.com/bu


I'm glad I exchanged my diesel Octavia for a petrol X-Cross a couple of years ago now but I'm still making as few journeys as I can. The inexpensive bus fares help, although I have an eleven mile drive to pick up a coach.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
Friday's forgotten hidden gems on 15:37 - Oct 7 with 52 viewsvilanovablue

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026