Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! 09:21 - Aug 21 with 3467 viewsPendejo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40995835

We're doomed

This post has been edited by an administrator

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:24 - Aug 21 with 3453 viewsStokieBlue

Yep, it's going that way.

You can see why when a robot can be just/more efficient and you don't have your people in danger. The big issue is whether it makes war seem more acceptable which is a huge worry,

The UK are already well down this route - this is the replacement for the Tornado, not yet in service but in testing/development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Taranis

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:29 - Aug 21 with 3440 viewsITFC1983

Robots hey...

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:31 - Aug 21 with 3437 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:29 - Aug 21 by ITFC1983

Robots hey...

To be fair, if you stuck a few machine guns on their next version it would be utterly terrifying:

Google is actually selling/sold the company as they don't want to go down that route.

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:34 - Aug 21 with 3430 viewsITFC1983

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:31 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

To be fair, if you stuck a few machine guns on their next version it would be utterly terrifying:

Google is actually selling/sold the company as they don't want to go down that route.

SB

Fook yeah that is pretty scary and amazing at the same time!!!

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:48 - Aug 21 with 3416 viewsNo9

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:24 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

Yep, it's going that way.

You can see why when a robot can be just/more efficient and you don't have your people in danger. The big issue is whether it makes war seem more acceptable which is a huge worry,

The UK are already well down this route - this is the replacement for the Tornado, not yet in service but in testing/development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Taranis

SB

& when they turn rogue?
Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:59 - Aug 21 with 3404 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:48 - Aug 21 by No9

& when they turn rogue?

I've not said it's a good thing anywhere in my post, in fact I've said the opposite.

On your specific point though, there are no guarantees that would ever happen, the most likely (and safest) thing to do would be to build expert systems that are good at the specific thing they are doing rather than a rounded learning AI.

It's a worry of course though, as Musk has been pointing out repeatedly.

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:21 - Aug 21 with 3381 viewsNo9

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:59 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

I've not said it's a good thing anywhere in my post, in fact I've said the opposite.

On your specific point though, there are no guarantees that would ever happen, the most likely (and safest) thing to do would be to build expert systems that are good at the specific thing they are doing rather than a rounded learning AI.

It's a worry of course though, as Musk has been pointing out repeatedly.

SB

Perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. I was agreeing with you but meant that have the designers & construtors given enough thought to one of these things not complying with mothers instructions but being intercepted by alternative instrauctions from whoever?
As we have learned from the internet it does not take long for malicious intent to find a way.
Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:31 - Aug 21 with 3376 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:21 - Aug 21 by No9

Perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. I was agreeing with you but meant that have the designers & construtors given enough thought to one of these things not complying with mothers instructions but being intercepted by alternative instrauctions from whoever?
As we have learned from the internet it does not take long for malicious intent to find a way.

That would be a worry, although I guess once they have it down you could use quantum entanglement to ensure the orders came from the source expected.

I am just not sure we really want to go down the route of automated killing machines, I know there is a move to remove risk from the battle but people decide to be in the armed forces (in countries where this tech will be affordable).

SB
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 10:32]

Login to get fewer ads

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:41 - Aug 21 with 3362 viewschiddley

The BBC as so behind. This is old news.

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:45 - Aug 21 with 3362 viewsblue_oyster

How many innocent people did drone strikes kill last year?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:55 - Aug 21 with 3355 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:45 - Aug 21 by blue_oyster

How many innocent people did drone strikes kill last year?

This is in now way a justification for drone attacks but I suspect they have killed less innocent people than the people the drones were trying to get?

Are the US drones allowed to attack autonomously or does it need a human to push a button saying yes in the control centre?

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 11:21 - Aug 21 with 3320 viewsPendejo

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 09:29 - Aug 21 by ITFC1983

Robots hey...

Clearly been on the 5W 30

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 11:22 - Aug 21 with 3308 viewsblue_oyster

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 10:55 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

This is in now way a justification for drone attacks but I suspect they have killed less innocent people than the people the drones were trying to get?

Are the US drones allowed to attack autonomously or does it need a human to push a button saying yes in the control centre?

SB

Sure they are allowed to attack autonomously. Robots have been killing people for a long time. And what is a landmine, if it isn't an autonomous killer robot?

http://www.popsci.com/autonomous-weapons-are-already-here

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 11:31 - Aug 21 with 3293 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 11:22 - Aug 21 by blue_oyster

Sure they are allowed to attack autonomously. Robots have been killing people for a long time. And what is a landmine, if it isn't an autonomous killer robot?

http://www.popsci.com/autonomous-weapons-are-already-here

A landmine would only be an autonomous killer robot under the stupidest of descriptions.

It's an indiscriminate weapon, by the same definition a bomb is an autonomous killer robot.

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 12:56 - Aug 21 with 3261 viewsblue_oyster

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 11:31 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

A landmine would only be an autonomous killer robot under the stupidest of descriptions.

It's an indiscriminate weapon, by the same definition a bomb is an autonomous killer robot.

SB

Indeed, you could argue that for a bomb. Thus the problem with the descriptions in the original article. Unless you've been watching too much sci-fi.

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 12:59 - Aug 21 with 3256 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 12:56 - Aug 21 by blue_oyster

Indeed, you could argue that for a bomb. Thus the problem with the descriptions in the original article. Unless you've been watching too much sci-fi.

No, the problem is with your stupid trolling description.

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 13:26 - Aug 21 with 3229 viewsblue_oyster

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 12:59 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

No, the problem is with your stupid trolling description.

SB

You mean you disagree.

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 13:48 - Aug 21 with 3213 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 13:26 - Aug 21 by blue_oyster

You mean you disagree.

No, I mean your description is stupid. Disagreeing would mean it had some validity.

Do you have that sentence on your cut and paste troll list? You post it about 5 times a day.

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 14:00 - Aug 21 with 3204 viewsblue_oyster

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 13:48 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

No, I mean your description is stupid. Disagreeing would mean it had some validity.

Do you have that sentence on your cut and paste troll list? You post it about 5 times a day.

SB

Feeble argument, well made.

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 14:03 - Aug 21 with 3200 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 14:00 - Aug 21 by blue_oyster

Feeble argument, well made.

At least it's an argument.

That's two or possibly three steps are from where you are at the moment - you'll get there though, keep trying.

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 15:52 - Aug 21 with 3165 viewsblue_oyster

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 14:03 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

At least it's an argument.

That's two or possibly three steps are from where you are at the moment - you'll get there though, keep trying.

SB

If you do wish to make a criticism, which I fully welcome and encourage, then I'd much rather you base it on facts and reason instead of just slinging 'stupid' accusations with nothing to back it up. It really would help a constructive discussion.

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 16:33 - Aug 21 with 3148 viewsStokieBlue

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 15:52 - Aug 21 by blue_oyster

If you do wish to make a criticism, which I fully welcome and encourage, then I'd much rather you base it on facts and reason instead of just slinging 'stupid' accusations with nothing to back it up. It really would help a constructive discussion.

Would it?

You'll just post "you mean you disagree" as you always do when confronted with a fact that's not entirely easy to troll.

You were given facts and the conversation went in the usual direction.

Everyone would welcome a constructive discussion :).

SB

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 17:20 - Aug 21 with 3121 viewsblue_oyster

Nubiru, US Naval vessels crashing... now KILLER ROBOTS!!!! on 16:33 - Aug 21 by StokieBlue

Would it?

You'll just post "you mean you disagree" as you always do when confronted with a fact that's not entirely easy to troll.

You were given facts and the conversation went in the usual direction.

Everyone would welcome a constructive discussion :).

SB

Indeed. If you take the time to remind yourself of the posts, you'll see that I post that phrase (one of my favourites, I agree) in answer to baseless accusations, such as your 'stupid' one, because you are disagreeing but you are unable to explain why.

I replied about description of autonomous robots (even backed up in the link which i supplied), which prompted your 'response'. If my argument is indeed 'stupid', then surely a simple sentence of facts would destroy it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024