Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some positive news for researchers 10:09 - Sep 21 with 1641 viewsStokieBlue

This is at least some good news given the lost opportunities post-brexit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41340971

Now we just need the same agreement with the EU, much like we had before.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Some positive news for researchers on 10:41 - Sep 21 with 1598 viewsNo9

Bit of a non story really.
From my experience this all started circa '98 and even then was only an extension of what had previously happened.

BBC told to polich a turd seems more accurate.

Some of the deep space stuff shows the US/EU/ Russians are already in deep collaboration - with Russian as the space language
Some positive news for researchers on 10:44 - Sep 21 with 1594 viewsStokieBlue

Some positive news for researchers on 10:41 - Sep 21 by No9

From my experience this all started circa '98 and even then was only an extension of what had previously happened.

Some of the deep space stuff shows the US/EU/ Russians are already in deep collaboration - with Russian as the space language

Increasing scientific research co-operation including making it easier for UK scientist to go and stay in the US is a non-story? You don't have to be massively negative in every post you realise?

As for Russian being the "space language" - I don't even know what that means.

SB

Some positive news for researchers on 10:52 - Sep 21 with 1578 viewsNo9

Some positive news for researchers on 10:44 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Increasing scientific research co-operation including making it easier for UK scientist to go and stay in the US is a non-story? You don't have to be massively negative in every post you realise?

As for Russian being the "space language" - I don't even know what that means.

SB

It isn't negative at all . I am just pointing out it has been going on for at least (nearly) 20 years that
UK scientists (& other nationalities) have been going to the USA - in several disciplines, particluarly where the US lack practical experience.

As the International space station is Russian & the only way to get there now is via Russia the 'space' language is Russian.

The deep space co-operation has been ongoing since the EU provided sattelites more than 20 years ago to do various research tasks.

& if you had been watching the 'Astronuat' progrsamme you would have seen how much of their training now has to be done in Europe.

So - it isn't news just late reporting of facts.
Some positive news for researchers on 11:05 - Sep 21 with 1564 viewsStokieBlue

Some positive news for researchers on 10:52 - Sep 21 by No9

It isn't negative at all . I am just pointing out it has been going on for at least (nearly) 20 years that
UK scientists (& other nationalities) have been going to the USA - in several disciplines, particluarly where the US lack practical experience.

As the International space station is Russian & the only way to get there now is via Russia the 'space' language is Russian.

The deep space co-operation has been ongoing since the EU provided sattelites more than 20 years ago to do various research tasks.

& if you had been watching the 'Astronuat' progrsamme you would have seen how much of their training now has to be done in Europe.

So - it isn't news just late reporting of facts.

"As the International space station is Russian & the only way to get there now is via Russia the 'space' language is Russian."

The international space station is Russian? That's not correct. It's a collaboration between countries which includes 5 Russian modules, 7 US modules, 2 Japanese modules and 1 European module.

You are correct that only the Soyuz takes people right now but that will change next year when SpaceX get their full approvals. Taking people doesn't mean the "space language" is Russian. I still don't know what you mean by space language.

The US and EU have been co-operating for a long time I agree, however this is increased co-operation due to brexit creating the need. It's also not just space focused - it's scientific research across the board which I think is good news given all the bad news lately.

SB

Some positive news for researchers on 11:20 - Sep 21 with 1547 viewsNo9

Some positive news for researchers on 11:05 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

"As the International space station is Russian & the only way to get there now is via Russia the 'space' language is Russian."

The international space station is Russian? That's not correct. It's a collaboration between countries which includes 5 Russian modules, 7 US modules, 2 Japanese modules and 1 European module.

You are correct that only the Soyuz takes people right now but that will change next year when SpaceX get their full approvals. Taking people doesn't mean the "space language" is Russian. I still don't know what you mean by space language.

The US and EU have been co-operating for a long time I agree, however this is increased co-operation due to brexit creating the need. It's also not just space focused - it's scientific research across the board which I think is good news given all the bad news lately.

SB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station

https://www.rbth.com/society/2015/04/12/why_do_foreign_astronauts_have_to_be_abl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Space_Agency_programs_and_mission

In other areas the American are falling behind all the time - they need the EU which is why Obama wanted to push through TTIP. Now that has falied they have to find other routes.

Perhaps the only area where the US leads the world is in killing machines?

to reiterate the BBC story isn't news - just late reporting.
Some positive news for researchers on 11:29 - Sep 21 with 1532 viewsStokieBlue

Some positive news for researchers on 11:20 - Sep 21 by No9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station

https://www.rbth.com/society/2015/04/12/why_do_foreign_astronauts_have_to_be_abl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Space_Agency_programs_and_mission

In other areas the American are falling behind all the time - they need the EU which is why Obama wanted to push through TTIP. Now that has falied they have to find other routes.

Perhaps the only area where the US leads the world is in killing machines?

to reiterate the BBC story isn't news - just late reporting.

Why have you sent those links? I've already proven that the station is more US than Russian. I don't know why you've sent a list of missions, the US is still far ahead in this area - why haven't you sent a list of their missions such as the James Webb space telescope or commented on the hugely successful Cassini mission?

The US are not failing behind, they are still the largest publisher of scientific research papers in the world by quite a distance. In what areas are they falling behind?

Honestly, the post just reads as an anti-US blub with no actual evidence.

SB

Some positive news for researchers on 13:37 - Sep 21 with 1481 viewsSwansea_Blue

Some positive news for researchers on 10:41 - Sep 21 by No9

Kind of agree a little. It's only an agreement, so we'll have to see what comes of it. Positives are that it's currently time consuming to obtain permissions to work for any length of time in the US (we're currently over there doing just that). So it sounds like this agreement may oil the wheels a bit.

What's needed is funding, but there's nothing on that in the announcement. The two example collaborations are a bit of a red herring, exclusive and mainly a vehicle for the press release. Broad-reaching funding programmes, available to all, is what's really needed.

It's a good step in the right direction.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Some positive news for researchers on 13:41 - Sep 21 with 1473 viewsHarryWright

Nothings changed from the start of brexit to now, mountain out of a mole hill for some.
Login to get fewer ads

Some positive news for researchers on 14:10 - Sep 21 with 1437 viewsSwansea_Blue

Some positive news for researchers on 13:41 - Sep 21 by HarryWright

Nothings changed from the start of brexit to now, mountain out of a mole hill for some.

Not in the University sector; there have been some significant changes. Overseas student applications down (nursing applications crashed through the floor), researchers being sidelined by European collaborators due to uncertainty... A mixed bag, but it's suddenly got a lot more complicated.

Not all negative though - the new Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund is a good move by the govt, even if the strings attached restrict the number of researchers who can apply.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024