Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In more important news 15:34 - May 1 with 1530 viewsDyland

Ten journalists were killed in the Kabul attacks yesterday, including Agence France-Presse's chief photographer Shah Marai. I mention him specifically because my organisation are partners with AFP.

When speaking on the attacks and the important work of the press, a local journalist, Lotfullah Najafizada, said yesterday: "If you kill an entire line of journalists reporting here, in five hours' time we're back here. The line is longer; the resolve is greater." That's what journalists do.

Thought I'd post something real and important on the subject, in amidst the tedious bitching about fake news and media responsibility and lefty elitism etc.
[Post edited 1 May 2018 15:36]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A small taste of Marai's skill as a photojournalist here on 16:23 - May 1 with 1461 viewsDyland

Devastating stuff

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/world/asia/shah-marai-afghan-photographer-kil

In more important news on 16:32 - May 1 with 1451 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stunning pictures and a tragic loss of life. Not sure I've heard of suicide bombers impersonating press before - are press being deliberately targetted do you reckon or it's just the case of anyone's a target where there's an opportunity to inflict casualties?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A small taste of Marai's skill as a photojournalist here on 16:43 - May 1 with 1410 viewsIllinoisblue

A small taste of Marai's skill as a photojournalist here on 16:23 - May 1 by Dyland

Devastating stuff

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/world/asia/shah-marai-afghan-photographer-kil

the one of the water-selling kids in the cemetery is particularly powerful. Mad world.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

In more important news on 16:49 - May 1 with 1403 viewsstringy

In more important news on 16:32 - May 1 by Swansea_Blue

Stunning pictures and a tragic loss of life. Not sure I've heard of suicide bombers impersonating press before - are press being deliberately targetted do you reckon or it's just the case of anyone's a target where there's an opportunity to inflict casualties?

I think the Taliban back in the day sent a faux press-crew to interview some non-Taliban aligned Afghan chief and then blew themselves all up

alas faux-ambulances have also been used in these contexts

targeting press has also occurred before
In more important news on 17:02 - May 1 with 1389 viewsDyland

In more important news on 16:32 - May 1 by Swansea_Blue

They are deliberately targeted. As are aid workers.

We are none of us without sin, and the issues are very complex. However sometimes I really struggle to look at it all objectively and without tears in my eyes.

In more important news on 17:27 - May 1 with 1358 viewsRyorry

Also this BBC journalist, Ahmad Shah, only 29 -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43953322

R.I.P. all of them

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024