Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 09:54 - Jun 8 with 2699 viewsSteve_M

Only read the first part so far but it's good.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-

Tactically England under Hoddle - Rome '97, Argentina - were exceptional at times, far better than most England teams over the years.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 15:03]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 12:31 - Jun 8 with 2636 viewsSteve_M

I've just read the whole thing over lunch, it's utterly brilliant.

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:11 - Jun 8 with 2609 viewsTJS

Hoddle's 98 team were probably the best set up we had since 1966.
They deserved to go way further than the last 16 and it was a travesty Hoddle was forced out of the job to appease the pc brigade and didn't get another crack in 2000/2002.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 13:12]
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:22 - Jun 8 with 2598 viewsSteve_M

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:11 - Jun 8 by TJS

They deserved to go way further than the last 16 and it was a travesty Hoddle was forced out of the job to appease the pc brigade and didn't get another crack in 2000/2002.

Although if you go and read the whole piece then it looks as if he would have gone for footballing reasons at some point anyway.

Technically and tactically though , England were very good under both him and Venables.

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:26 - Jun 8 with 2594 viewsTJS

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:22 - Jun 8 by Steve_M

Although if you go and read the whole piece then it looks as if he would have gone for footballing reasons at some point anyway.

Technically and tactically though , England were very good under both him and Venables.

I'm pretty sure he would have taken us into the latter stages of Euro 2000 unlike Keegan.
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:27 - Jun 8 with 2593 viewsTractorJack

That was really good. The Ceefax shots are a great touch.
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:31 - Jun 8 with 2588 viewsIpswichKnight

Very good read, I was at both the Tunisia and Columbia games, Columbia were actually even worse than that report suggests.
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 13:43 - Jun 8 with 2578 viewsvapour_trail

I remember thinking what an outrageous hatchet job the guy from the times did on hoddle.

However I fully support the hatchet job performed on allardyce.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 14:24 - Jun 8 with 2562 viewsvapour_trail

Just finished reading that. Great share Steve, loved that World Cup and that game was an epic.

Nearly got me sacked from my first proper job too, pulled a sickie the following day then the local newspaper put me and my pal on the front page in the boozer surrounded by empty glasses and overflowing ashtrays, under the headline England fans cry into their beer at exit. Boss dumped in on my desk a few days later and said “well?” He had no interest in football. Knuckled down for a bit after that.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 14:47 - Jun 8 with 2545 viewschicoazul

Do you know that is so weird as I was just thinking this very morning, I can remember the 98 WC very clearly but have no real stand out memories at all of 02,06 or 10.

Also I was also thinking that this is the first WC we are going to in a long time that doesnt contain any of the stupid mendacious selfish narcissistic members of the Golden Generation.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 15:07 - Jun 8 with 2524 viewsSteve_M

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 14:47 - Jun 8 by chicoazul

Do you know that is so weird as I was just thinking this very morning, I can remember the 98 WC very clearly but have no real stand out memories at all of 02,06 or 10.

Also I was also thinking that this is the first WC we are going to in a long time that doesnt contain any of the stupid mendacious selfish narcissistic members of the Golden Generation.

I remember 2002 very clearly, that might just be lunchtimes in the pub watching any game that was on (France - Senegal and Italy - South Korea were memorable highlights) and sitting in pubs at 07:30 watching football.

Yes, the next two blur quite a lot although 2006 was, like most of Erickson's time in charge, broadly competent but uninspiring. 2010 was crap, Paul Jewell crap. 2004 was the last really enjoyable England tournament performance I think.

Were they that bad though? Large element of believing their own hype but there was an awful lot of hype - far, far too much - about some good players. It was the height of the Premier League hype bubble too, before most of us got jaded with it.

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 15:26 - Jun 8 with 2514 viewsTractorJack

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 15:07 - Jun 8 by Steve_M

I remember 2002 very clearly, that might just be lunchtimes in the pub watching any game that was on (France - Senegal and Italy - South Korea were memorable highlights) and sitting in pubs at 07:30 watching football.

Yes, the next two blur quite a lot although 2006 was, like most of Erickson's time in charge, broadly competent but uninspiring. 2010 was crap, Paul Jewell crap. 2004 was the last really enjoyable England tournament performance I think.

Were they that bad though? Large element of believing their own hype but there was an awful lot of hype - far, far too much - about some good players. It was the height of the Premier League hype bubble too, before most of us got jaded with it.

When you look at the starting 11 around that period and what they'd achieved at club level we probably should have made at least 1 semi-final, which we were very unlucky not to in 2004. I don't remember us having much quality beyond the first 11 though, highlighted by Vassell replacing Rooney against Portugal.
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 15:54 - Jun 8 with 2502 viewschicoazul

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 15:07 - Jun 8 by Steve_M

They were yes because they let their club rivalries interfere with the smooth running of the England machine. Many of them have admitted as much.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 17:47 - Jun 8 with 2467 viewsvilanovablue

That's a great read. Hoddle underrated but a very poor man manager. If we could have had Vena les man management and Hoddle's nous the "golden generation" may have done something decent.
More pre-WC reading: Rob Smyth on England in 1998 on 18:31 - Jun 8 with 2451 viewsSpruceMoose

PC Brigade.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024