Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Improvement but where are goals coming from? (n/t) 10:52 - Nov 4 with 762 viewsCaptMickMills

Improvement but where are goals coming from? (n/t) on 11:24 - Nov 4 with 747 viewsDarth_Koont

We do lack natural goal-scoring talent at this level — and probably a player who can create better chances too. And even while being positive about the current players, Lambert has also been clear about needing a couple of additions in January.

But even if we have to wait until January to really resolve that, I'd say we can create more chances and score more goals through taking steps like we did yesterday.

1. Roberts gave us a physical presence and caused the CBs problems — either through the middle and challenging in the air or when he dropped wide. I called it a Daryl Murphy tribute act because he did much of the good work DM did in his prime although clearly he's nowhere near the level of natural finisher yet and probably never will be. But that presence has been missing this season.

2. As a unit we got forward much better yesterday and there was much more support in the attacking third. Partly due to the ball sticking with Roberts or him winning a header so we kept possession and players had time to get forward. But also looked like our fullbacks and the occasional central midfielder looked confident enough to push up and leave the defensive responsibilities to the players behind.

So I'm sure PL can build on that and create even greater understanding. He can also perhaps abandon one of the three fairly defensive midfielders and bring in a more front-foot player. Either Dozzell from the start or even someone like Nolan. I've not been impressed by Nolan but he's also been part of a team that just hasn't had enough possession in the opponent's half this season. So, just like Roberts, it's now about seeing what players can do as part of a better team all-round.

I'd also add Jackson, Harrison, Graham, Lankester and Edun into this — let's see if a Paul Lambert side can play to their strengths rather than expose their weaknesses.

We're still a long way away from a side that can stay up comfortably. But given Lambert's changes to the team in just a few days including the return of Roberts, I think we can at least be optimistic about him making other improvements.

Pronouns: He/Him

Improvement but where are goals coming from? (n/t) on 13:55 - Nov 4 with 670 viewsScuzzer

Improvement but where are goals coming from? (n/t) on 11:24 - Nov 4 by Darth_Koont

We do lack natural goal-scoring talent at this level — and probably a player who can create better chances too. And even while being positive about the current players, Lambert has also been clear about needing a couple of additions in January.

But even if we have to wait until January to really resolve that, I'd say we can create more chances and score more goals through taking steps like we did yesterday.

1. Roberts gave us a physical presence and caused the CBs problems — either through the middle and challenging in the air or when he dropped wide. I called it a Daryl Murphy tribute act because he did much of the good work DM did in his prime although clearly he's nowhere near the level of natural finisher yet and probably never will be. But that presence has been missing this season.

2. As a unit we got forward much better yesterday and there was much more support in the attacking third. Partly due to the ball sticking with Roberts or him winning a header so we kept possession and players had time to get forward. But also looked like our fullbacks and the occasional central midfielder looked confident enough to push up and leave the defensive responsibilities to the players behind.

So I'm sure PL can build on that and create even greater understanding. He can also perhaps abandon one of the three fairly defensive midfielders and bring in a more front-foot player. Either Dozzell from the start or even someone like Nolan. I've not been impressed by Nolan but he's also been part of a team that just hasn't had enough possession in the opponent's half this season. So, just like Roberts, it's now about seeing what players can do as part of a better team all-round.

I'd also add Jackson, Harrison, Graham, Lankester and Edun into this — let's see if a Paul Lambert side can play to their strengths rather than expose their weaknesses.

We're still a long way away from a side that can stay up comfortably. But given Lambert's changes to the team in just a few days including the return of Roberts, I think we can at least be optimistic about him making other improvements.

Excellent post Darth.
I believe we need a 'Connor Wickham' style centre forward if we continue with the front three set up...shame Walters is nearly past it and as shown injury prone.

Established 1968

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024