Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Underactive thyroid...help 09:02 - Mar 27 with 1119 viewsgtsb

Does anyone on here suffer from this and if so can you tell me how long it takes before you feel better. I was on 75 mcg of thyroxine for a year but started to feel absolutely shoite so had a blood test but was told my readings were slightly low so put me up to 100mcg but a month later I still feel like death and it's another two months before I have another test. Does it take three months for the medication to kick in and if so what is best to take to relieve the symptoms until then. Thanks in advance.
Underactive thyroid...help on 09:08 - Mar 27 with 1099 viewsALF

My missus has an underactive thyroid - was overactive until an Op to remove part of it. She was on 100mcg for years and refused point blank to have it reduced to the level her bloods suggested it should be at. She felt better with the larger dose as gave her more energy. She was on 100 mcg for about 25 years till she finally reduced it to 75 mcg. It does take a while for the effects to be noted and quite an art getting to the right dosage so guess you'll have to wait and see what the next bloods tell the docs. Am sure you'll get there in the end. Good luck.
Underactive thyroid...help on 09:12 - Mar 27 with 1080 viewsgtsb

Underactive thyroid...help on 09:08 - Mar 27 by ALF

My missus has an underactive thyroid - was overactive until an Op to remove part of it. She was on 100mcg for years and refused point blank to have it reduced to the level her bloods suggested it should be at. She felt better with the larger dose as gave her more energy. She was on 100 mcg for about 25 years till she finally reduced it to 75 mcg. It does take a while for the effects to be noted and quite an art getting to the right dosage so guess you'll have to wait and see what the next bloods tell the docs. Am sure you'll get there in the end. Good luck.

Thanks for that. I guess it is a matter of patience then. Not ideal when you feel like you've got the flu 24/7.
Underactive thyroid...help on 10:12 - Mar 27 with 1040 viewsRyorry

Sorry to hear that.

This will be little help to you, but I'm interested in the topic as it's a condition my dog has - was diagnosed when quite young from blood tests done because of his poor coat condition.

The tablet he used to be on was either Soloxine, or something beginning with R, which was withdrawn from the market - the canine market anyway - he was OK with it, 0.8mg daily and he weighs 35Kg. I think it was prescribed for both dogs & humans. Dogs need a higher ratio of it to bodyweight for it to be effective.

When it was withdrawn (I think it was in 2015), the vet put him on Thyforon tablets 0.800mcg + 0.200 mcg together, once daily, and I'd say he's been better on that. Age 9, he's as full of bounce as a 9-month old pup! despite having his L kidney & a large lump (non cancerous) removed last May.

Toxicity is possible on a too-high dose, with unpleasant side-effects. It's also possible for that to go undiagnosed, hence regular blood tests. Also, have your heart and liver been checked out?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Underactive thyroid...help on 11:09 - Mar 27 with 1004 viewsDebsyAngel

Had it for almost 12 years now.

It will take about 3 months to start feeling a bit of benefit from the Levothyroxine and your Doctor will need to do regular blood tests (at first mine were every 3 months) to monitor how you feel, read your TSH and up the dose.

You will have regular appointments until you get a stable dose that suits you.

Took me a long while to find out mine was treated best with one 100mg pill first thing. Mind you, the last couple of years I have had to fight to stay on my dose, as the blood tests say I am on slightly too much. Personally I need to stay on that dose as any lower would see me deteriorate and not be able to do as much as I do now in life.
Underactive thyroid...help on 13:59 - Mar 27 with 934 viewsALF

Underactive thyroid...help on 11:09 - Mar 27 by DebsyAngel

Had it for almost 12 years now.

It will take about 3 months to start feeling a bit of benefit from the Levothyroxine and your Doctor will need to do regular blood tests (at first mine were every 3 months) to monitor how you feel, read your TSH and up the dose.

You will have regular appointments until you get a stable dose that suits you.

Took me a long while to find out mine was treated best with one 100mg pill first thing. Mind you, the last couple of years I have had to fight to stay on my dose, as the blood tests say I am on slightly too much. Personally I need to stay on that dose as any lower would see me deteriorate and not be able to do as much as I do now in life.

My missus felt the same and flatly refused to take a lower dose until forced to and then down to 75 mg not the 50 they suggested. They warn about overdosing on thyroxine but no-one knows their body better than the person who feels the effect and knows what suits them best. Strangely enough, following the drop to 75mg and not 50mg they haven't said another reduction is needed........
Underactive thyroid...help on 15:25 - Mar 27 with 899 viewsDebsyAngel

Underactive thyroid...help on 13:59 - Mar 27 by ALF

My missus felt the same and flatly refused to take a lower dose until forced to and then down to 75 mg not the 50 they suggested. They warn about overdosing on thyroxine but no-one knows their body better than the person who feels the effect and knows what suits them best. Strangely enough, following the drop to 75mg and not 50mg they haven't said another reduction is needed........

Sounds like what they try to get me to do every year. Like you say, you know your own body best and as long as its not dangerously over, should be fine. Mine is always "borderline".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024