Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Visiting Sweden 09:52 - Feb 9 with 958 viewsAscotBlue

Sticking my head in the sand to get away from our record since the Lincoln win, I've turned to planning a summer break. I'm in Denmark for work in mid-July and then we have a family do to attend in Oslo in early August. So we were thinking of taking advantage of this by spending a couple of weeks touring Sweden by train and we were wondering if anyone who's been, or maybe even better, any of our Swedish friends, might have advice, tips, "must see" places, etc.

If possible I'd also like to try and see a match as I understand their season will be well underway. Are matches ever sold out? Are we likely to struggle to get a ticket?

Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance. CYOB
Visiting Sweden on 10:12 - Feb 9 with 913 viewsBLUEBEAT

I love the roads in Sweden and would recommend driving around, rather than train, as you get to see more and travel at your own pace.

Only been to 3 matches in Sweden but paid on gate every time (this was nearly 15 years ago, mind).

Poll: W or W

Visiting Sweden on 10:13 - Feb 9 with 912 viewsDarth_Koont

There is a mid-season break (all of June) but you'll be fine for July and August. And matches are smaller but rarely sold out unless it's a big Stockholm derby. But I think one of the smaller matches would be more of an experience compared to the UK.

I'd spend most if not all your time around the southern third of Sweden i.e. not much higher than Sundsvall on the East coast. Above that it's fantastic to experience unbroken forests but there's not a lot of variation within that huge area and the distances are enormous. To give you an idea of scale, if you tipped Sweden over from Malmö in the South it would reach down to Southern Spain and North Africa.

I'd also suggest spending a day or two extra in Norway if you want to see really stunning scenery.

For me the best trip would be spending some time in Gothenburg and Stockholm and the archipelagos around them. And with a stop off between them in Värmland around Karlstad where you can experience the Scandinavian forests and the lakes. Those three areas are the "classic" Swedish environments with Gothenburg and Stockholm pretty special cities too.

A word of warning though. That's slap bang in the Swedish holiday season and millions of Swedes tend to head to these places themselves. Which is good for a bit of life and bustle but finding accommodation might be a real problem, especially in or around the archipelagos. So I'd plan ahead and book early.

Pronouns: He/Him

Visiting Sweden on 10:22 - Feb 9 with 881 viewsSharkey

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/swedish-allsvenskan/scores-fixtures/2020-07

Not particularly interesting fixtures in July. -( I sort of suspect that fixtures are rigged to get the biggest games in the autumn,) Having said that, while the big games (Stockholm derbies, MFF v IFK, etc) are major pieces of theatre , smaller games on a summer evening in Halmstad, say, or Kalmar, can have a lot of charm, and that goes for the second league too.

sj (the national network) Train tickets are cheaper if booked long in advance, and lookout for first
Class being as cheap or even cheaper than 2nd.
Visiting Sweden on 14:21 - Feb 9 with 801 viewsDistantBlue

The Inlandsbanan is a unique Swedish train experience and you could hopefully take in a n Oostersund game on the way.
https://res.inlandsbanan.se/en
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 14:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024