Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things 10:48 - Jun 17 with 664 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anybody have them? How recommended/vital are they?
How easy are they to install and activate? Are they value for money?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 10:50 - Jun 17 with 659 viewsDanTheMan

I have one.

"How recommended/vital are they?"

Depends, what would you like one for? Privacy, avoiding regions locks... other things?

"How easy are they to install and activate"

Depends on the provider and how techy you are. Usually fairly straight forward.

"Are they value for money?"

Ties into why you are using it. They aren't usually that expensive.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 10:54 - Jun 17 with 626 viewsgainsboroughblue

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 10:50 - Jun 17 by DanTheMan

I have one.

"How recommended/vital are they?"

Depends, what would you like one for? Privacy, avoiding regions locks... other things?

"How easy are they to install and activate"

Depends on the provider and how techy you are. Usually fairly straight forward.

"Are they value for money?"

Ties into why you are using it. They aren't usually that expensive.

I was curious as I've seen ads for them more.and more recently, plus I've only recently started using sites like paypal, samsung pay etc and am doing far more online purchasing than ever before since lockdown. Plus I am on the paranoid side about privacy etc.

Cheers for the reply Dan. How are you feeling now by the way?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 11:00 - Jun 17 with 597 viewsDanTheMan

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 10:54 - Jun 17 by gainsboroughblue

I was curious as I've seen ads for them more.and more recently, plus I've only recently started using sites like paypal, samsung pay etc and am doing far more online purchasing than ever before since lockdown. Plus I am on the paranoid side about privacy etc.

Cheers for the reply Dan. How are you feeling now by the way?

For card payments, it's not really going to do a lot. You just need to make sure that when you're using a website, that there is a little lock symbol when inputting your details (which indicates it's over HTTPS). If you're using something like Paypal, this will definitely be the case. I tend to use Paypal or similar providers where I can so that my card details are not stored all over the place.

Best advice though with regards to keep this sort of information safe online is that you should be using a password manager and two factor authentication. If you'd like me to explain what these are, I can do that.

If you're worried about privacy, you could use Firefox (which has a lot of privacy bits built in). If you're using Chrome and don't want to move, I'd use a combination of uBlock Origin (for ad blocking, remember to whitelist here though) and Privacy Badger. People would still be able to track you whilst using a VPN, it would just mean your ISP would not be able to see what you were doing.

I'm OK thank you. Still processing and sorting out his funeral with his mother. Thankfully it looks like myself and a couple of friends will be able to attend.

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 11:58 - Jun 17 with 527 viewsflimflam

I use duckduckgo for browsing which is basically google with all the privacy and tracking turned off. It disables all trackers on each site visited and even has a drop down to show what was tracking. Its scary when you see how every site gathers info about you.

Also use a password vault to generate and store passwords.

VPN - I use one on every device and use PIA (Private Internet Access) and is about 30 quid a yr and allows up to 5 devices. Been solid for me for last 5 yrs.

All a vpn does is makes your ip address invisible by routing you through a multitude of proxy servers. Your ip address is your unique identifier for your device online so would be a bit like the postman having a different number and postcode for your house and trying to deliver your mail.

Just for reference duckduckgo has blocked 6 trackers on TWTD as i type.

Google
1. securepubads.g.doubleclick.net Advertising
2. pagead2.googlesyndication.com Advertising
3. google-analytics.com Analytics

Sovrn Holdings
1. get.s-onetag.com Advertising

Adyoulike
1. fo-api.omnitagjs.com Advertising

Taboola
1. cdn.taboola.com Advertising
[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 12:03]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 12:07 - Jun 17 with 500 viewsDanTheMan

VPN's- questions from someone not in the know about these things on 11:58 - Jun 17 by flimflam

I use duckduckgo for browsing which is basically google with all the privacy and tracking turned off. It disables all trackers on each site visited and even has a drop down to show what was tracking. Its scary when you see how every site gathers info about you.

Also use a password vault to generate and store passwords.

VPN - I use one on every device and use PIA (Private Internet Access) and is about 30 quid a yr and allows up to 5 devices. Been solid for me for last 5 yrs.

All a vpn does is makes your ip address invisible by routing you through a multitude of proxy servers. Your ip address is your unique identifier for your device online so would be a bit like the postman having a different number and postcode for your house and trying to deliver your mail.

Just for reference duckduckgo has blocked 6 trackers on TWTD as i type.

Google
1. securepubads.g.doubleclick.net Advertising
2. pagead2.googlesyndication.com Advertising
3. google-analytics.com Analytics

Sovrn Holdings
1. get.s-onetag.com Advertising

Adyoulike
1. fo-api.omnitagjs.com Advertising

Taboola
1. cdn.taboola.com Advertising
[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 12:03]

"All a vpn does is makes your ip address invisible by routing you through a multitude of proxy servers."

That's kind of correct but nor entirely, and also the second half would very much depend on the setup of the VPN. What is happening is that by going through a VPN, all your ISP will see is traffic coming from you and into the VPN, that is it. You are correct that it masks your IP address on the end server as it will be coming in as the VPN servers IP.

" Your ip address is your unique identifier for your device online so would be a bit like the postman having a different number and postcode for your house and trying to deliver your mail."

This is somewhat correct but not entirely. It doesn't identify your device (whilst on my home Wifi, my phone and my computer will have the same IP address) and is also liable to change depending on your ISP. It can identify roughly where you are and your ISP though.

That said the rest of your post is fine, I also use PIA and a password vault + generator is always a solid suggestion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024