Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... 11:28 - Aug 18 with 564 viewsunstableblue

... our midfield failed last season for the majority of games, it lacked pace and dynamism, the killer pass to the forwards.

When it did click it had KVY bringing the opposition midfield onto him, with pace, with Downes running forward and break into the box. That diving header was one of the best things at PR for years.

I think our defence is relatively set:
Holy
KVY-Chambo-The Wolf-Ward

Attack:
Norwood-Jackson should both play.. whether Jackson moves wider is another question in a non 4-4-2.. but he must play (and must not be sold).... we have Hawkins to replace either when we need to go to a target man, rather than stretching a teams defence

Then we're back to the old conundrum - a set of midfielders packed full of quality, but with Lambert unable to get the best out of them:

Edwards
Skuse
Nolan
Lankester
Bishop
Nydam
Judge
Downes
Dozzell
El Mizouni (who is still 'out on loan' on team page!! despite new additions being added, cr£p)
Dobra
Huws

That's 12 players where the majority would waltz into a League One competitors team.

System system system!!

KVY can break forward, Ward I'd expect less. So you want one item of pace in there. You want deep sitters who can mop up, and cover KVY. And you need a creative player.

Nolan, Judge, Huws and Downes are 'the best' on some scale, with Edwards in the mix. But lack pace or creativity

Downes, Dozzell, Dobra/El Mizouni and a fit Bishop the dream.

I still think Huws and Downes on their day (Oxford away in the rain) can match and give more than the Skuse/Downes successful partnership at the start of last term.

Is it 4-2-3-1 as our best?

---------Huws----Downes
---Jackson---Judge/Bishop/Nolan----Edwards/El Mizouni/Dobra
--------------------Norwood

The season will live or die on how Lambert's solves this embarrassment of riches. Do you agree?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:32 - Aug 18 with 534 viewsHerbivore

Play a 4-3-3 with Downes and Huws as starters and then El Miz or Bishop (if he can be kept fit) providing a bit more dynamism. Lankester or Dobra to the left of Norwood or Hawkins and then Jackson on the right. Plenty of pace and dynamism, certainly more than we had last season. We don't have the players for a 4-4-2 so I fully expect us to line up in a 4-4-2 come opening day.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:37 - Aug 18 with 513 viewsunstableblue

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:32 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Play a 4-3-3 with Downes and Huws as starters and then El Miz or Bishop (if he can be kept fit) providing a bit more dynamism. Lankester or Dobra to the left of Norwood or Hawkins and then Jackson on the right. Plenty of pace and dynamism, certainly more than we had last season. We don't have the players for a 4-4-2 so I fully expect us to line up in a 4-4-2 come opening day.

Agree we don't have the out and out wingers for a 4-4-2.. albeit on a good day Edwards can do a job

Agree with your idea... albeit Judge, Nolan can add value just need to be played right

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:42 - Aug 18 with 481 viewsHerbivore

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:37 - Aug 18 by unstableblue

Agree we don't have the out and out wingers for a 4-4-2.. albeit on a good day Edwards can do a job

Agree with your idea... albeit Judge, Nolan can add value just need to be played right

Not sure what value they add in that system. They're too lightweight to play the role of Huws or Downes and not dynamic enough for the El Miz/Bishop role. You could make a case for Dozzer though, he'd sit deeper than El Miz or Bishop but could be freed up to pull the strings and with a decent front three ahead of him he should have plenty of options to get his passing going.

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:45 - Aug 18 with 471 viewsunstableblue

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:42 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Not sure what value they add in that system. They're too lightweight to play the role of Huws or Downes and not dynamic enough for the El Miz/Bishop role. You could make a case for Dozzer though, he'd sit deeper than El Miz or Bishop but could be freed up to pull the strings and with a decent front three ahead of him he should have plenty of options to get his passing going.

El Miz seems to have a creative ball in him, based on his highlights reel, and Huws has some ability...

But combining steel, creativity and pace in midfield has been our Achilles heel since the Magilton exit....!!

Agree Nolan far outweighs Nolan as a starter

Sadly I think you'll see Lambert trying to shoe horn in either Nolan or Judge just due to seniority, pay level and experience

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:47 - Aug 18 with 463 viewsCoco

-------------Judge----------Downes-------------
----------------------Huws------------------------

--Jackson-----------------------------Lankester
---------------------Hawkins---------------------

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:49 - Aug 18 with 448 viewsHerbivore

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:47 - Aug 18 by Coco

-------------Judge----------Downes-------------
----------------------Huws------------------------

--Jackson-----------------------------Lankester
---------------------Hawkins---------------------

Judge looks hugely out of place there.

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:52 - Aug 18 with 433 viewsCoco

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:49 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Judge looks hugely out of place there.

that's what someone without a truly exceptional understanding of the game might say

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 12:01 - Aug 18 with 405 viewsHerbivore

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 11:52 - Aug 18 by Coco

that's what someone without a truly exceptional understanding of the game might say

Epic bantz.

Seriously though, there are at least three or four who should be picked ahead of Judge in that midfield trio. He doesn't merit a place. Playing Huws as the most advanced is an odd shout as well, based on last season I don't think he's got the legs to get in the box like he used to.

Login to get fewer ads

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 12:05 - Aug 18 with 394 viewsCoco

The midfield and Judge conundrum for the season ahead... on 12:01 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Epic bantz.

Seriously though, there are at least three or four who should be picked ahead of Judge in that midfield trio. He doesn't merit a place. Playing Huws as the most advanced is an odd shout as well, based on last season I don't think he's got the legs to get in the box like he used to.

yeh i was just mixing it up. The midfield is a serious headache with only Downes stepping up to command a place!

Dozzell has to start making an impact and Bishop has to stay fit - which he never will imo. Nolan is passive and gutless, Skuse too old and Huws also never fit. Judge played his best football in league one in a deep playmaker role so was using the logic that's where he may be best suited - especially at his age now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024