Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff 11:46 - Oct 25 with 1228 viewsWeWereZombies

Hearing about his mother's death, knocked down whilst out cycling by a motorist who was later prosecuted. Underlines why we need a more extensive cycling path network to minimise contact between cars and bicycles, Boardman mentioned that a hundred families a year in Britain have to cope with what he is still going through. Until we get that adequate cycle path network we need to remember that every time we get behind the wheel we might become a killer, always pass a cyclist leaving them plenty of room and be prepared to be patient as you wait for an opportunity to do that...please.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff on 11:53 - Oct 25 with 1200 viewseireblue

I think it will take more than cycling paths.

The proposed changes to the Highway Code, will hopefully help, but it does need people to adhere to them.

I am always interested to see how people in cars will slow down and give people on horses plenty of time and space.

On the same road, I will be passed, in a way that is dangerous.

For all the talk of “cyclists” jumping red lights, the number of people breaking the Highway Code when on the same piece of tarmac as a person on a bike is striking.
Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff on 19:48 - Oct 25 with 1053 viewsGuthrum

Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff on 11:53 - Oct 25 by eireblue

I think it will take more than cycling paths.

The proposed changes to the Highway Code, will hopefully help, but it does need people to adhere to them.

I am always interested to see how people in cars will slow down and give people on horses plenty of time and space.

On the same road, I will be passed, in a way that is dangerous.

For all the talk of “cyclists” jumping red lights, the number of people breaking the Highway Code when on the same piece of tarmac as a person on a bike is striking.

All it takes is a bit of care, patience and consideration for others. That would make the experience of all travellers on our roads safer and more pleasant.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff on 21:42 - Oct 25 with 980 viewsLeoMuff

The majority of drivers have no idea or aren’t bothered on the safe distance to pass a cyclist. On a 2 hour ride I would count 3-5 close passes.

Need presumptive liability on drivers to change anything, not cycle paths

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff on 09:34 - Oct 26 with 816 viewsWeWereZombies

Just listening to Chris Boardman on 'Desert Island Discs', heartbreaking stuff on 21:42 - Oct 25 by LeoMuff

The majority of drivers have no idea or aren’t bothered on the safe distance to pass a cyclist. On a 2 hour ride I would count 3-5 close passes.

Need presumptive liability on drivers to change anything, not cycle paths

Almost gave that an uppie but then remembered Boardman's comments about the Netherlands and wondered if it would even work here let alone some of the parts of the World I have been to where driving is truly mad. I think this pandemic is teaching us that we all need to give each other a bit more space (and there is still plenty of room to do that, the crisis is in planning and not in population density) so I am convinced that the best course of action is for roadway and cycle path (and pedestrian walkways) to be separated as much as possible.

In fact I have been prompted to eventually look up a local project to develop a cycle way on the former route of an 'A' road, thus giving cyclists an alternative to the current 'A' road, so while I was Googling I also looked up the report of the death of Boardman's mother - a mobile phone was involved...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/17/man-pleads-guilty-over-road-deat

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024