Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There's still a party to this blame game yet to be identified 11:24 - Dec 23 with 446 viewsPendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55349395

I know many will have lost interest in Grenfell or may well not have followed it, and apologies for citing a depressing subject matter when we should be enjoying happy holidays.

The party yet to be identified is the building's insurers.

In the last millennium I worked for a large insurer, one of my responsibilities was underwriting blocks of local authority housing; where a property exceeded six stories, had a rebuilding cost in excess of £500k or housed over 100 people there were strong requirements specifically regarding fire that often went above and beyond building regs.
As far as I can see, from what I have read, there was no external party insisting on key duty of care requirements. Or maybe there was and this has not yet been revealed by the inquiry.

It is incredible that all the parties sought immunity before agreeing to give evidence.

Everybody, somebody, nobody

Everybody knew that a duty of care existed
Somebody should have enforced it
Nobody, clearly cared enough to enforce it.

And all for a vanity project where the visage of the building mattered more than the safety of those within it.

I wonder if those involved are sufficiently self aware to suffer sleepless nights?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

There's still a party to this blame game yet to be identified on 18:02 - Dec 23 with 326 viewsArnoldMoorhen

1. You were asked to enforce stricter standards on behalf of a risk averse insurer, to minimise the likelihood of them having to pay out, not for the benefit of the residents. In other words, you were acting to protect the underwriters, not the householders.

2. The cladding actually fitted to Grenfell was not up to the same specification as that cited in the Building Regs applications. If the same paperwork was sent to the insurers then it would have been difficult for them to discover that the shortcut had been made, unless they inspected every single panel.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024