Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colour me shocked...carbon credits edition. 22:10 - Jan 26 with 531 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Who would have thought that a market driven solution to climate change would be bullsh1t?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/26/carbon-offsetting-environm

"The French company Total is hoping to develop new oilfields in the Republic of the Congo and off the coast of Suriname. It has sought to justify these projects with nature-based solutions: in Suriname by providing money to the government for protecting existing forests, and in Congo by planting an area of savannah with fast-growing trees.

This project is extremely controversial. If the drilling goes ahead it will help to break open a region of extremely rich forests and wetlands that sits on top of the biggest peat deposit in the tropics, potentially threatening a huge natural carbon store. The rare savannah habitat the company wants to convert into plantations to produce timber and biomass has scarcely been explored by ecologists. It’s likely to harbour a far greater range of life than the exotic trees the oil company wants to plant. It is also likely to belong to local people though their customary rights, which are unrecognised in Congolese law, were not mentioned in Total’s press release about the deal. In other words, the offset project, far from compensating for the damage caused by oil drilling, could compound it."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Colour me shocked...carbon credits edition. on 22:11 - Jan 26 with 519 viewsEwan_Oozami

Carbon offset? Another name for good ol' fashioned bribery and corruption....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Colour me shocked...carbon credits edition. on 07:48 - Jan 27 with 358 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Colour me shocked...carbon credits edition. on 22:11 - Jan 26 by Ewan_Oozami

Carbon offset? Another name for good ol' fashioned bribery and corruption....

Indeed, it’s entirely predictable that the working class and middle will pick up the cost of climate change whilst the rich and corporations “buy” their way out. This is why I fear it will actually be a toxic subject at the ballot box.

One of the reasons those less able are struggling to heat their homes now is the worldwide rush to natural gas as countries look to de-carbonise their economies. A result of successive policy failures to plan an orderly transition to cleaner power.
Colour me shocked...carbon credits edition. on 09:27 - Jan 27 with 303 viewsNthQldITFC

Our species is bullshítting, pretending and ignoring its way to destruction of its only possible home.

There's far less outright denial of climate change these days, but a hell of a lot more looking the other way. I don't personally think that we have the courage or selflessness as a species to save ourselves, but hopefully the young will swing things right round soon - it's their world we are killing. Good luck to them.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024