Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This interview with a man who killed sometime in a fight is thoughtful 13:28 - May 14 with 764 viewsSteve_M

Too a large extent has turned His life around with help from the parents of the man he killed but and that’s a ‘good thing’ but reading it is quite uncomfortable too.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/14/knew-bad-as-soon-as-hit-him-man-

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This interview with a man who killed sometime in a fight is thoughtful on 13:55 - May 14 with 693 viewsDarth_Koont

Must have got a bit of dust in my eye. Such a tragedy for all, with most of my sympathy and admiration for the victim’s family.

A fantastic but, as you say, uncomfortable read. Like Dunne’s relationship with the parents of the victim, it’s “delicately balanced”. And throughout, while these aren’t excuses for the crime, you see systemic failure at almost every step.

I’ve read a bit about restorative justice and the figures speak for themselves re: closure for victims and their families as well as the rate of re-offending. Certainly a better approach than adding to the UK’s already massive prison population fuelled by some Victorian sense of retribution rather than rehabilitation.

Pronouns: He/Him

This interview with a man who killed sometime in a fight is thoughtful on 13:58 - May 14 with 696 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Friend of mine was killed like this. In Brighton, in 2002.

Got into a argument with a waiter that had touched his girlfriend's backside. Only one punch got thrown, my mate fell backwards and hit his head on the kerb. Died 2 hours later in hospital.

It's wonderful for this chap that he changed his life, got his degree and teaches at schools and colleges, has his two kids and reads them Peppa Pig. The guy he killed, will never get to do any of that.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

This interview with a man who killed sometime in a fight is thoughtful on 14:31 - May 14 with 643 viewsIllinoisblue

Nothing but respect and admiration for the parents of the victim. Not sure I could be so forgiving if I was in their situation.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This interview with a man who killed sometime in a fight is thoughtful on 15:53 - May 14 with 546 viewsSteve_M

This interview with a man who killed sometime in a fight is thoughtful on 13:58 - May 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Friend of mine was killed like this. In Brighton, in 2002.

Got into a argument with a waiter that had touched his girlfriend's backside. Only one punch got thrown, my mate fell backwards and hit his head on the kerb. Died 2 hours later in hospital.

It's wonderful for this chap that he changed his life, got his degree and teaches at schools and colleges, has his two kids and reads them Peppa Pig. The guy he killed, will never get to do any of that.

Yes, your last paragraph is why I find it very uncomfortable reading.

Not withstanding that, I agree with DK that Restorative Justice has to be better than mere punishment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024