Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. 10:20 - Feb 2 with 1416 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yes MM is a great man manager, most players who talk about him mention it, and I've no doubt that that has helped get some players in when we may not of got them in otherwise.

However, Micks comments on the wages that he was being asked for during the transfer window point toward our biggest issue.

The game has changed since Evans bought the club, massively so, none of which is MMs or MEs fault but, driven by the massive amounts of TV money sloshing around in the Premier League.

When agents see average Premier League players picking up £100k plus a week of course they are going to demand £30k plus for their bang average Championship players and the issue is exacerbated by the 6 or 7 clubs (mostly with Parachute money) that are willing to pay those wages in this league.

Our issue is we aren't even in the fight for these players. Its good that ME is prudent, but now we are prudent to the point of stagnation and that is affecting the mood on match day in Portman Road, which in turn affects performance.

The fan/club relationship might improve with a successful academy but even that has prudence attached to it. You would think that, with not being in the hunt for the top players, Cat1 would take on massive importance in order to get in the best prospects and protect the investment, but we seem to have settled on Cat2.

Of course the mood always lifts when you see players coming through, Dozzell, Nydam, Downes but they only have to have a run of 6-7 games it seems before we see the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea come sniffing so you can understand a reluctance to play them.

I'm afraid all we are doing is surviving and thats all, nothing more, nothing less. For some of us, watching Brighton and Huddersfield in the Premier League that will never be good enough for this club, our club.

Our club needs to change top to bottom or I fear we will never see top flight football at Portman Road again, certainly not in my lifetime.

..I'll get my coat....

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. on 10:29 - Feb 2 with 1405 viewsGuthrum

To be fair, I don't think we've 'settled' for Cat 2 with the Academy, but the system has shafted us (e.g. the constantly shifting assessment process) and we're outside in the cold. Another example of the game changing over recent years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. on 10:48 - Feb 2 with 1365 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. on 10:29 - Feb 2 by Guthrum

To be fair, I don't think we've 'settled' for Cat 2 with the Academy, but the system has shafted us (e.g. the constantly shifting assessment process) and we're outside in the cold. Another example of the game changing over recent years.

True enough.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. on 10:51 - Feb 2 with 1364 viewsArnieM

Spome excellent point raiused by OP I think.
My view on it is, we are developing some good talent, agaisnt all the financial odds.
Our potential issues are

1: Holding onto these kids long enough to get established in our 1st team
2: The time it takes to develop these payers and get them in the senior squad naturally takes time : a long time . so for us fans it feels like nothing is happening.

We could be on the verge of having some really good yeasr ahead on the not too distant future if the many Academy players on te verge of senior football are managed correctly and actuall given the RIGHT amount of 1st team football.

My personal fear is McCarthy may not be the manager to do this

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. on 11:20 - Feb 2 with 1333 viewsBluetaff

Following on from Truce's thread on how MM can get players in. on 10:29 - Feb 2 by Guthrum

Exactly, the system we have here is terrible for a club in our position, even more so for those in Leagues 1 and 2 and the point has been made that the game has and continues to change.

We can't compete with the big money clubs in the PL and Championship, we are in the same boat as so many, so the only way to progress is to adapt and change - this is something we haven't done since we brought in the goal nets that could be lifted up to allow the lawnmower through!

In all seriousness, the academy is doing its best but we are limited by a fear of failure and an overly pragmatic managerial and coaching approach which will keep our heads above water, just.

Club has to decide now which way it wants to go, we now suffer death by a thousand cuts as football has become almost meaningless for the town and the fans which is why we now have so many empty seats. No hope other than the hope for the status quo to be maintained...

Blog: The National Conundrum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024