Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winter Olympics 12:06 - Feb 24 with 1238 viewsRadlett_blue

PLEASE can the media, especially the BBC, stop trumpeting about "Team GB's record winter Olympics".
Yes, we have won 5 medals, but there are now 306 medals to be won, as against only 66 as recently as 1952. So it's really the equivalent of winning 1 medal in old money. Make for a better open top bus parade, though.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Winter Olympics on 12:09 - Feb 24 with 1216 viewsSteve_M

I'm sure Olympic coverage never used to be so tediously parochial. The difference between those in the stadium during last summer's World Athletics Championship and the tv coverage was marked.

You'll probably enjoy Barney Ronay's piece today:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/feb/23/bbc-coverage-winter-olympics-

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Winter Olympics on 12:10 - Feb 24 with 1212 viewsTrequartista

It's like when they go on about Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad being the leading test wicket takers for England. Well if you've played twice as many test matches as Fred Trueman you're probably going to have taken more wickets.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Winter Olympics on 12:15 - Feb 24 with 1194 viewsFtnfwest

I know what they are saying but they in turn are going a bit over the top with the usual self loathing. The vast majority of winter sports are individual and unless one or two individuals are clearly very talented at something it seems a little wasteful to throw loads of money at it for starters. Coverage does seem to be endless and reapeating as well I must admit.
Winter Olympics on 12:21 - Feb 24 with 1189 viewsRadlett_blue

Winter Olympics on 12:09 - Feb 24 by Steve_M

I'm sure Olympic coverage never used to be so tediously parochial. The difference between those in the stadium during last summer's World Athletics Championship and the tv coverage was marked.

You'll probably enjoy Barney Ronay's piece today:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/feb/23/bbc-coverage-winter-olympics-

I've already read it & enjoyed it, thanks. The hyperbolic, shrieking, patronising BBC commentaries make something which I used to partly enjoy near unwatchable.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Winter Olympics on 13:37 - Feb 24 with 1124 viewsLankHenners

I've only half been paying attention (if that, to be honest) but at times the BBC seems to have gone all Arsenal Fan TV about it, hyping medal-hopefuls up and then blaming the conditions, or some sort of divine foul play which meant that they didn't win.

Nothing to do with the other athletes being, well, better, and having at least an equally good chance of performing well.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Winter Olympics on 15:37 - Feb 24 with 1020 viewscharlie1

Winter Olympics on 12:10 - Feb 24 by Trequartista

It's like when they go on about Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad being the leading test wicket takers for England. Well if you've played twice as many test matches as Fred Trueman you're probably going to have taken more wickets.

Except that every single change/progress in the game since Fred’s day has been designed to aide the batsman.
Much harder to take wickets nowadays.
Winter Olympics on 18:33 - Feb 24 with 926 viewsTrequartista

Winter Olympics on 15:37 - Feb 24 by charlie1

Except that every single change/progress in the game since Fred’s day has been designed to aide the batsman.
Much harder to take wickets nowadays.

On the contrary, test matches are completed within the 5 days more often nowadays, so irrespective of whether batting is easier or harder, there are still 20 wickets available.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024