Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking at the team sheets yesterday 10:37 - Jul 7 with 996 viewsstewartm

I think the squad depth is looking ok (considering the league we are in now), I thought Huws would have been a key player for us last year in the Championship, I am now thinking the same again this year (another serious injury could probably end his career). Roberts will surprise a few this year and I really think he will be useful for Ipswich in league one (I really did write that ). Sears coming back from injury could be the icing on the cake for a team pushing for promotion. The only thing that is really worrying me is a decent CB (I have never been a fan of Chambers) a decent CB added to what we already have really could boost our promotion chances. Last year scoring goals (or a lack of) was a serious problem but again our midfield and the addition of Norwood could be the answer and I see no reason why Ipswich will not bounce straight back into the Championship even as Champions.

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:11 - Jul 7 with 931 viewschristiand

If Huws can stay fit, he'll be a huge player for us this season and so influential so fingers crossed there. Many complaining about a lack of a left winger being signed by PL so far, well Roberts or Rowe could be the answer there. Roberts isn't a striker IMO, but as a winger he could do a job. Early days I know, but Nydam could be the one to challenge Kenlock for the LB role, think he has all the credentials to be very decent, perhaps even better than Kenlock? I was thinking last night, could Kenlock be pushed further up the pitch to play in that wide position and provide that natural width? You could argue that it is the CB position is where we look lightweight, but I'd settle for Chambers, Nsialla and Woolfenden challenging for the two CB positions with the young lad Ndaba on the fringes and gaining experience. He's got to be given the opportunity and pathway to the first team (another CB signing will just push him down the pecking order), if he's good enough of course.

I appreciate it's only pre-season and I'm trying to keep things in perspective, but I've got to say I like the idea of building a side we've got experience in key areas and allow the youngsters to develop around them. I genuinely think having less, is more. Having too many players in a squad just clouds selection and causes disgruntlement when they are not playing. Although the younger players lack in experience, they'll be full of enthusiasm, have been coached to play football and have been successful at winning matches over the last few seasons which breeds confidence. If we aren't going to play them it's pointless having an Academy with a Category II status, we might as well follow the Brentford route and go all Moneyball!
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:20]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:18 - Jul 7 with 897 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:11 - Jul 7 by christiand

If Huws can stay fit, he'll be a huge player for us this season and so influential so fingers crossed there. Many complaining about a lack of a left winger being signed by PL so far, well Roberts or Rowe could be the answer there. Roberts isn't a striker IMO, but as a winger he could do a job. Early days I know, but Nydam could be the one to challenge Kenlock for the LB role, think he has all the credentials to be very decent, perhaps even better than Kenlock? I was thinking last night, could Kenlock be pushed further up the pitch to play in that wide position and provide that natural width? You could argue that it is the CB position is where we look lightweight, but I'd settle for Chambers, Nsialla and Woolfenden challenging for the two CB positions with the young lad Ndaba on the fringes and gaining experience. He's got to be given the opportunity and pathway to the first team (another CB signing will just push him down the pecking order), if he's good enough of course.

I appreciate it's only pre-season and I'm trying to keep things in perspective, but I've got to say I like the idea of building a side we've got experience in key areas and allow the youngsters to develop around them. I genuinely think having less, is more. Having too many players in a squad just clouds selection and causes disgruntlement when they are not playing. Although the younger players lack in experience, they'll be full of enthusiasm, have been coached to play football and have been successful at winning matches over the last few seasons which breeds confidence. If we aren't going to play them it's pointless having an Academy with a Category II status, we might as well follow the Brentford route and go all Moneyball!
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:20]

Look at Luton, 2 promotions on the bounce and their play sold fo £5 mil plus

It can be done
Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:36 - Jul 7 with 849 viewsDevereuxxx

The main for me is how lop-sided the squad looks.

In midfield, we looked well stocked with a mixture of experience and youth. Skuse, Huws, Bishop, Nolan augmented with Dozzell, Downes etc is about as good as it gets.

But the defence is concerning. We shipped goals for fun last year and haven't changed a thing. Despite being in League 1, I'm still not confident in any of our back 4.

And then up top, we seem to just be crossing our fingers that our attacking players find some semblance of consistency. Norwood has a good record but is untested at this level. Lankester is talented but raw. Edwards has experience in League One but can flatter to deceive. Rowe and Roberts might come good, but again, that is more in hope than expectation.
Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:52 - Jul 7 with 806 viewschristiand

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:36 - Jul 7 by Devereuxxx

In midfield, we looked well stocked with a mixture of experience and youth. Skuse, Huws, Bishop, Nolan augmented with Dozzell, Downes etc is about as good as it gets.

But the defence is concerning. We shipped goals for fun last year and haven't changed a thing. Despite being in League 1, I'm still not confident in any of our back 4.

And then up top, we seem to just be crossing our fingers that our attacking players find some semblance of consistency. Norwood has a good record but is untested at this level. Lankester is talented but raw. Edwards has experience in League One but can flatter to deceive. Rowe and Roberts might come good, but again, that is more in hope than expectation.

Even if we signed a striker for £2M (hilarious suggestion by me, sorry! ), doesn't guarantee they'll be a success either. If we can get a few wins under our belt early, that will start to build some much needed confidence and self belief and that's the important factor for me. Last season, they got into that losing habit and that's going to the most difficult challenge to overcome, but they can do it! On paper, that looks a very talented squad for League One.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:55]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 12:56 - Jul 7 with 738 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I like an optimistic post. I think we'll be up there and no doubt Huws is much too good for league 1 if fit. Same goes for goes for Bishop and to be honest Skuse (as unpopular as that will be on here). We need 1 or 2 quality experienced additions though as we are short for a 50+ game season with what we have. Ideally a CB, LB, Winger and forward. Roberts will pull up no trees. Lacks quality. L2 player for me.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 13:03 - Jul 7 with 725 viewsJ2BLUE

Looking at the team sheets yesterday on 11:36 - Jul 7 by Devereuxxx

Although we haven't changed anything it could be quite different. Our back line could be:

Nydam Nsiala Woolfenden Emmanuel/Donacien

Donacien looks to be getting a chance. Nsiala and Emmanuel are both decent in league one. Nydam seems to be taken seriously on here by a few who know their stuff. Woolf could claim a shirt.

Then we have Chambers who is judged harshly IMO. As well as Kenlock who should be battling for the LB shirt. I realise this is all optimistic and reality will probably hit hard but hopefully Norwood will be firing and our midfield will take the pressure off by creating plenty of chances for him to bury.

For me now, the biggest hole that needs filling is a striker. Even a reasonable loanee to cover for Sears for half a season would be ok. I still hope we get another CB but think it's fairly clear we won't be now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024