Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Techie people - phishing email question 10:51 - Mar 28 with 1130 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What is the best action to take after falling victim to a phishing email?

I had one this morning pretending to be from Apple saying someone had signed into my account, and to click the link to reset my security etc. I've now spoken to Apple and they've confirmed it's a hoax.

However I had already clicked on the link, which required me to put in my email and password, and then took me to a second page which asked me to put in my 'security questions': model of first car, and name of first pet.

So as it all looked genuine, and seeing as I haven't logged into Apple for ages and didn't realise they don't ask you those type of questions, I put in what my answers 'would be'.

I guess the issue is that whoever sent the email could now go and try to log in to various different places where I may have accounts, and which ask those types of questions.

Unfortunately I don't keep a record of places where I have accounts etc, so I have no idea which places I have signed up to where those types of questions might be relevant.

There's probably not a lot I can do, other than to hope that the phishing m*ther f*ckers don't have any joy at using my details anywhere, but if there is anything in general that I can do, please let me know!

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Techie people - phishing email question on 10:58 - Mar 28 with 1090 viewstractorian

One immediate thing is to change your passwords before they access whatever it is you've given them access to.

Plus the questions or answers to them, which you mentioned

Also change your 'emergency' email address and password as many sites will send you a 'new password' facility to your email address.

Read this:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/503105/7-steps-take-now-if-youre-victim-phis

Download and run Malwarebytes from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 11:08]
Techie people - phishing email question on 11:16 - Mar 28 with 1028 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Techie people - phishing email question on 10:58 - Mar 28 by tractorian

One immediate thing is to change your passwords before they access whatever it is you've given them access to.

Plus the questions or answers to them, which you mentioned

Also change your 'emergency' email address and password as many sites will send you a 'new password' facility to your email address.

Read this:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/503105/7-steps-take-now-if-youre-victim-phis

Download and run Malwarebytes from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 11:08]

Thank you.

I have udpated my details for Apple (turns out actually that do ask you those questions). Hopefully Apple would have been the only place the phishers would have tried to use the details, so now I've prevented that.

I've also installed the free version of that software, and will have a look through the other link.

I'm rubbish at technology.

It's also probably not a good idea to do all your browsing on your smart phone like I do. Not sure what level of protection the browsers have. From now on maybe I'll stick to using a laptop for internet browsing which involves usernames and passwords etc.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 11:24]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Techie people - phishing email question on 16:41 - Mar 28 with 877 viewstractorian

Techie people - phishing email question on 11:16 - Mar 28 by ThisIsMyUsername

Thank you.

I have udpated my details for Apple (turns out actually that do ask you those questions). Hopefully Apple would have been the only place the phishers would have tried to use the details, so now I've prevented that.

I've also installed the free version of that software, and will have a look through the other link.

I'm rubbish at technology.

It's also probably not a good idea to do all your browsing on your smart phone like I do. Not sure what level of protection the browsers have. From now on maybe I'll stick to using a laptop for internet browsing which involves usernames and passwords etc.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 11:24]

Anotheer thing you may want to check is that the phising download hasn't granted remote access. I'm a Windows man, so I don't know how you check this on macs. This is what google told me:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image result for mac remote access permission
Allow others to access your computer using Apple Remote Desktop

Go to Menu > System Preferences > Sharing.
Select Remote Management - it should appear as a checkbox.
Now you can select who has remote desktop access.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I tell if someone is remotely accessing my Mac?
Steps to enable remote login are the following:

Go to System Preferences. You can get there by clicking on the apple icon on the left of the top bar. ...
Find Sharing folder and double click. Click on Remote Login checkbox on the left.
Now you have the option to allow access either for all user or only specific users.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or turn it off altogether.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 16:59]
Techie people - phishing email question on 17:07 - Mar 28 with 850 viewsTrequartista

change your passwords and run a malwarebytes (free) scan

ooops someone already said that, well they're right.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 17:08]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024