Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... 13:41 - Sep 8 with 1217 viewsIP12

Please be 'sensible here team'...
I've had a message left on my answer-phone system with no clues as to who it's from (caller withheld number) saying "You have been charged 79 point 99 pounds to take out your subscription. If you wish to cancel press 1 or if you wish to know more press 2." Has anyone encounter this type of call ????
Yep, many times over the years on 13:44 - Sep 8 with 1182 viewsDyland

Delete it, and if next time you answer your phone and have this kind of automated option just hang up.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Yep, many times over the years on 13:45 - Sep 8 with 1174 viewsdickie

Yep, many times over the years on 13:44 - Sep 8 by Dyland

Delete it, and if next time you answer your phone and have this kind of automated option just hang up.

And block the number if possible
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 13:45]
Yep, many times over the years on 13:55 - Sep 8 with 1122 viewsIP12

Yep, many times over the years on 13:45 - Sep 8 by dickie

And block the number if possible
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 13:45]

Thank You both for the words of wisdom....There is no 'contact number' to block and the voice-mail was straight into the script..."You have been charged" etc....
Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 14:10 - Sep 8 with 1077 viewsBlueBadger

Had one of those 'you had an accident that wasn't your fault' calls the other day at work. I took the call at a patient bedside because at [redacted] our phones now double up as our bleeps for taking referrals as well now.

Patient was highly amused to hear me reply to them with 'you've definitely been told wrong, it was totally my fault, I was utterly trollied at the time, now leave me alone'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 14:40 - Sep 8 with 1018 viewsjeera

As others say, don't touch a thing.

Just hang up.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 15:46 - Sep 8 with 943 viewsBasuco

I have had a couple of Amazon Prime subscription calls, saying "we are taking £X, if this is a mistake press 1" an obvious scam call.
Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 15:53 - Sep 8 with 931 viewsIpswichKnight

That's the Amazon prime scam. I do actually press 1 as it's fun to waste there time and rather they waste it on me whose not going to give them anything than some poor soul who might not realise it's a scam.

My favourite was the HMRC court case for not paying your taxes, they told me that I had to act quickly as the court opens at 8.30am and after that time they couldn't cancel the warrent for arrest. I managed to string them along for nearly 40 minutes ( to well past 8.30am and they didn't notice ) before I think the guy realised I wasn't buying it and hung up, which was rude!
Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 16:33 - Sep 8 with 890 viewsjaykay

Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 15:53 - Sep 8 by IpswichKnight

That's the Amazon prime scam. I do actually press 1 as it's fun to waste there time and rather they waste it on me whose not going to give them anything than some poor soul who might not realise it's a scam.

My favourite was the HMRC court case for not paying your taxes, they told me that I had to act quickly as the court opens at 8.30am and after that time they couldn't cancel the warrent for arrest. I managed to string them along for nearly 40 minutes ( to well past 8.30am and they didn't notice ) before I think the guy realised I wasn't buying it and hung up, which was rude!

i wasn't sure if you pressed 1 or 2 number if you found yourself on a premium number without you knowing it, and it costing you money. so i just delete and then put the phone down

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 18:32 - Sep 8 with 767 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Strange 'Phone Call (Phishing)... on 16:33 - Sep 8 by jaykay

i wasn't sure if you pressed 1 or 2 number if you found yourself on a premium number without you knowing it, and it costing you money. so i just delete and then put the phone down

I have had one where if you reply to the call, it can charge you hundreds of pounds on your phone bill.

If you suspect anything untoward, refer it to Action Fraud or please notify your phone provider and block the number immediately.

Banks have had problems with people trying to pretend they are them to get money of their customers. Please report this as I was a victim to identity theft and it was bloody stressful. Thankfully, my great family and my best friend's family helped me to sort it out as I was helpless as transactions which I did not recognise back in 2011 were coming out left, right and centre.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024