Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bloating on loans - again 08:12 - Feb 2 with 662 viewsVic

I seem to remember Lambert having some pretty strong words about this when he came in! Something about it being no way to run a club, need to draft in the youngsters and above all, get expiring contracts sorted out well before deadlines. Oh, and getting the club connected to the fans and community again.

Well, that’s all gone well hasn’t it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Bloating on loans - again on 08:22 - Feb 2 with 622 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Reminds me of the last days of Jewell - give the manager one last hurrah to turn things around with no long term commitment if it doesn't work out. Lambert's days are numbered and everyone knows it.
Bloating on loans - again on 10:02 - Feb 2 with 582 viewsbackwaywhen

Ya canny run a football club on loans , ya canny it doesn’t work ..... I believe were his words at the time .
Bloating on loans - again on 10:09 - Feb 2 with 562 viewshatch

I'm actually bored of these threads. Could people please check the existing threads before posting.

Short of backing Lambert I also think it's pretty clear why he's had to u-turn on the loan policy:

- no one could have predicted the salary cap - that's clearly a core driver
- no one could have predicted covid-19 meaning a condensed season
- we have two games a week for most the remainder of the season. Lambert could have stuck by what he said and not brought in loans then we would have been injury hit (as usual) with no back up. This was where we struggled through November/December so why would we not protect ourselves against it?
- What's the point in paying more to bring in permanent signings when we go back to a normal season structure next season and these loans are just to get us to the end of the season.

I honestly think of all the reasons to be angry with Lambert this is such a bizarre one. We need cover and we need more threat - all these signings deliver that and I may be alone here, but they do actually give me a little more hope.

I still want Lambert out but don't see why everyone is so adamant on this one-upmanship on Lambert based on his old quotes from a different world.
Bloating on loans - again on 10:17 - Feb 2 with 548 viewsBloomBlue

Bloating on loans - again on 10:09 - Feb 2 by hatch

I'm actually bored of these threads. Could people please check the existing threads before posting.

Short of backing Lambert I also think it's pretty clear why he's had to u-turn on the loan policy:

- we have two games a week for most the remainder of the season. Lambert could have stuck by what he said and not brought in loans then we would have been injury hit (as usual) with no back up. This was where we struggled through November/December so why would we not protect ourselves against it?
- What's the point in paying more to bring in permanent signings when we go back to a normal season structure next season and these loans are just to get us to the end of the season.

I honestly think of all the reasons to be angry with Lambert this is such a bizarre one. We need cover and we need more threat - all these signings deliver that and I may be alone here, but they do actually give me a little more hope.

I still want Lambert out but don't see why everyone is so adamant on this one-upmanship on Lambert based on his old quotes from a different world.

Even Klopp was on the radio yesterday talking about loans and how COVID has impacted the whole transfer market. Look at how little the Prem spent in the Jan window this year compared with the last few years same in all the other major European leagues, clubs aren't buying because of the COVID impact.
Klopp said come the end of the season clubs will hopefully have a better understanding of the financial situation post COVID but currently clubs are happier to do loans, it gets players wages off their books for a few months and for the club loaning the player a short-term expense without committing to a 2 or 3 year contract
Bloating on loans - again on 10:37 - Feb 2 with 508 viewshatch

Bloating on loans - again on 10:17 - Feb 2 by BloomBlue

Even Klopp was on the radio yesterday talking about loans and how COVID has impacted the whole transfer market. Look at how little the Prem spent in the Jan window this year compared with the last few years same in all the other major European leagues, clubs aren't buying because of the COVID impact.
Klopp said come the end of the season clubs will hopefully have a better understanding of the financial situation post COVID but currently clubs are happier to do loans, it gets players wages off their books for a few months and for the club loaning the player a short-term expense without committing to a 2 or 3 year contract

Exactly - I think there would have been uproar if we'd not brought in any loans and committed to permanent signings of youth players (as salary cap prevents any experienced signings). They'd equally have been uproar if we hadn't signed anyone then the injuries started stacking up again - they'd be calling Lambert too stubborn about his 'loan policy'.

I'm happy with the January business and have no issues with Lambert having to go against his loan policy given the dramatic change of the footballing landscape this past 12 months.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 10:41]
Bloating on loans - again on 15:48 - Feb 2 with 427 viewsVic

I get that circumstances have changed, and I’m not angry with him. I also admit that I cannot remember or source specific comments he made (so I could well be wrong!) but my impression at the time was that rather than bring in loans to cover we should be blooding and developing the u23’s, etc.
I accept that we have some young in the team that we didn’t before and that you can’t win anything with a team of youngsters but at the same time I think it’s a shame that Dobra, El Miz, etc have been loaned out, only to be replaced by loaners.
This seems a contradiction of his original sentiments and for someone so previously media savvy it’s a shame he hasn’t taken the opportunity to explain why he’s shifted his practice.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Bloating on loans - again on 16:11 - Feb 2 with 419 viewsParky

None of your excuses cut it with me, I’m afraid.

Our squad is by far the biggest in this division, without the loan players. If Lambert honestly believed in what he said, he would persevere with what he has at his helm. Every other club in the world is experiencing injuries, it isn’t just Ipswich.

We now have a squad of 30 players all to fit within an 18 man match day squad. Thus meaning 12 players will miss out, whether that be due to injury or not.

As shït as we are at the minute, we have a big enough squad where we could field 2 different XI’s and the team’s should be good enough to compete with the top 6. I must add, with a competent manager in charge.

Everybody’s entitled to their opinion, but mine is - there is absolutely no need to have 6 players on loan to an already bloated squad. To me it just shows Lambert can’t get the best out of what he already has.
Bloating on loans - again on 16:16 - Feb 2 with 399 viewsRadlett_blue

Bloating on loans - again on 16:11 - Feb 2 by Parky

None of your excuses cut it with me, I’m afraid.

Our squad is by far the biggest in this division, without the loan players. If Lambert honestly believed in what he said, he would persevere with what he has at his helm. Every other club in the world is experiencing injuries, it isn’t just Ipswich.

We now have a squad of 30 players all to fit within an 18 man match day squad. Thus meaning 12 players will miss out, whether that be due to injury or not.

As shït as we are at the minute, we have a big enough squad where we could field 2 different XI’s and the team’s should be good enough to compete with the top 6. I must add, with a competent manager in charge.

Everybody’s entitled to their opinion, but mine is - there is absolutely no need to have 6 players on loan to an already bloated squad. To me it just shows Lambert can’t get the best out of what he already has.

Just shows that Evans doesn't learn form his mistakes. He did the same with Jewell (another washed up manager who, funnily enough, hasn't managed since) with disastrous results.
Lambert said "if you want to get in 7 or 8 loans to try to win games & ignore the younger players, I'm the wrong man". It beggars belief that Evans - who supposedly gave Lambert a 5 year contract so that he could carefully develop the club - has allowed this to happen.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024