Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 07:26 - Mar 7 with 597 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I thought Gillingham were much better all over the park. Big man up top a proper handful, 5 in midfield work hard, 2 CB’s suit a direct approach but didn’t look great on the turn and full backs weren’t tested but we couldn’t create anything down the wings.

A blessing in disguise maybe, but I did think the team selection was asking for it. I know you don’t change a winning team, BUT, Bishop and Dozzell as protection in a game where they HAD to win a lot of 2nd balls... did they win any? A game for Downes with Bishop or Doz.

On the 2nd balls, we lost the majority defensively and offensively. There’s no skill there - it’s anticipating where the ball ends up and getting in front of your nearest opposition marker. Gillingham worked harder in that sense.

Leggy performances from a few - Parrott, Dozzell and Bennetts spring to mind. We will definitely need to freshen it up on Tuesday.

The performance would’ve shown Cook that we lack grit and lack ‘men’ in the squad. We knew this though - but it becomes very clear and worrying against a few teams in this division.

Cook will need to let a few leave, a few run their contract out etc. Might be one or two let go/leave that we will be surprised about, but he will replace them with players he knows but more importantly, trusts. I expect us to be linked with (and sign) a few from his Portsmouth/Wigan days. They might not be big names, but they’ll be players who will hit the ground running. Give him time though - he’s the right man to do the job given time and patience.

I’ll end on a positive - I thought Harrop showed signs that he is technically too good for this level. He should be our number 10 behind Norwood. Give him a free role, but give him the protection of Downes behind him.

On to Lincoln, we need to freshen it up a little bit but I’m sure Cook will find out a lot more about us technically as a squad Tuesday.

[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 7:28]

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Match thoughts on 13:20 - Mar 7 with 427 viewschrismakin

You thought Harrop looked good. He was awful off the ball and terrible with it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024