Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky League 1 Report: Wigan Athletic (A) 13:51 - Mar 28 with 706 viewsWarkystache

The clocks changed overnight. My 7am start, overcast skies and slight lingering chill was actually my 8am start. It caught out several dog-walkers, exercising excitable pets along the river. Their dogs looked as dishevelled as I felt; several coats were encrusted in mud and stood wildly on end, like bed head. The owners, disinterested in conversation, merely trudged by, the odd muttered 'Mornin'' the only clue to life beyond the hoodie and the puffa jacket.

Walk done and with reddened cheeks and (ominously) stentorian breath, I waddled onward towards Tesco where the papers lay, as yet untouched, along with the brown bread and marmalade jars and milk. The young chap serving at the tobacco counter reached high for my forty, his Tesco shirt riding up to reveal a black tattoo adorning his lower back. It resembled gangrene. I felt momentarily repulsed, but he was cheery enough as he gave me my change, and I thought back to the oft-repeated mantra from parents when I was a kid. "Treat as you find". I thanked him with a grin as equal as his cheer and he became matey. "I noo watcher wan-ned before y' arsked" he said. I congratulated him on his psychic abilities and he nodded and tapped his nose with a wink. I came away wondering if I was that easy to read in all other walks of life.

Terry didn't meet me this week. Our usual Friday get-together was postponed as he had his in-laws round for drinks and dinner. The Rule of Six meant they were full, not that I'd've fancied it anyway. I'm still nervous about meet-ups and Tony and his family have had the virus fairly recently. Tel bought steaks from Swiss Farms in Bromley. Everyone likes steak. Except vegetarians or vegans, and none of that lot are.

He rang on Tuesday to apologise. "Wife made the arrangements, like, jus' rang Sandy and did the ole casual invite. We're 'avin' steak'n'all. Where'd'ya reckon the best place for mushrooms is?". I said a field and he chortled. "Nah, best shop". I offered Waitrose or a greengrocer, and he said he'd try Waitrose. That was it. He rang off promising "a right good Fridee nex' week, gotta be a Thai innit?" And that was it.

I spent Friday interspersing drinks with films on the telly. The chilli I made, served with plain boiled rice and a good drip of yoghurt, was delicious although I'd run out of kidney beans so just did mince, onions, some dried chillies, some fenugreek leaves and a green chilli/lime mix. I've frozen the bits I didn't eat (not the rice though). I had a bottle of Southern Comfort and a bottle of white (a Soave) and ten cans of draught Guinness in the house chilling nicely. The Saturday morning hangover deserved a harder walk over hilly terrain and the reward of a fry up. Both were achieved, although the hills were less taxing than expected. It was a nice day, yesterday.

Saturday was spent working (more projects) and keeping simultaneous eyes on the F1 qualifying and the footie scores. More walks in the evening as I drove to Walton and went down the deserted Naze and sat watching the sea lap against the beach in quiet whooshes and brought large cod and chips from the Walton Fisheries and put too much vinegar on so the bottom of the bag swam in Acetic Acid. And my can of Ben Shaw's Shandy was warmer than I'd've liked. Sat eating out of the bags on a bench near the Naze Tower and feeding the odd straggling seagull with batter. Then I came home and wondered how long it'd be before the pubs welcomed us into their beer gardens to feel slightly less lonesome among their broken benches and dog sh*t.

Town drew 0-0. Im sure you know that already. Joleon Lescott on Sky did the studio commentary, he with the pockmarked face and semi-depressed scowl. I understood the scowl. I've often watched the Town with the same expression.

Given the recent paucity of good news regarding Ipswich, I was unsure if 0-0 away against a relegation cert was an acceptable result or another nail in the coffin of a (frankly) disinterested and rather ungainly-looking group of misfits, many of whom must be dreading being headhunted by the likes of Carlisle and Orient when their contracts aren't picked up for next season. On the whole, I decided, it was a bit of both.

So no real surprises. No hope of gatecrashing play-offs in this form. Probably. You can never really tell. We might go on a run of wins. We might not. But we need change. Like the clocks, we'll only go forward at the end of March 2022 if something changes. It's just knowing what and whom and when.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky League 1 Report: Wigan Athletic (A) on 14:28 - Mar 28 with 620 viewsFtnfwest

Good, this week I was dreading Tels usual off hand put down of ITFC. We don’t need reminding!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024