Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
16th. That's what we are really. 00:35 - Mar 28 with 1881 viewschrismakin

We are extremely lucky we had that start to the season

If you go from the start of the ' Blip ' - 17th October, ( Doncaster and Lincoln losses at the time) we scored just 20 goals in 23 games - upto the point of Lambert being sacked on 28th February with a GD of -6. we were 16th in the table for that specific time period

yet people are shocked PC hasn't taken us on a play off march because we won a couple of unconvincing games just before he came in. Which somehow through some minor miracle kept us within touching distance of the top 6, in the mathematical sense.

Since the date of 28th Feb and 28th March 2021, We are 16th again in the table based on that time period also with a GD of -3. 6 goals scored in 7 games

So in theory it's not a case of being worse, the season is effectively continuing on it's original course based on the ability of the team itself which lets be honest is nothing more than an average league 1 side where this summer can not come quick enough.

Also some interesting notes

63% of our season points have been in games that Hawkins was involved in, 7 wins out of the 16 we've had and 2 draws. Interesting to note that on a few occasions too where he came on as sub, we have then subsequently scored ( Can't say of course for certain it was linked to the goal but still interesting)

Edwards, who started the season off well, last scored on the 17th October, where he had scored 5 goals in 7 league games, since that goal and then his injury, he's played 13 games with no return

The rest of our midfield have a grand total of 11 goals between them all season, which is the same amount as Peterborough Midfielder Sammie Szmodics on his own!

[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 5:28]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:40 - Mar 28 with 1845 viewspointofblue

So basically Cook has had no impact whatsoever to date?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:42 - Mar 28 with 1840 viewschrismakin

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:40 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

So basically Cook has had no impact whatsoever to date?

Pretty much yeah, it's gone exactly how I imagined it would go and backs up why for me I've been writing this season off for weeks now.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:46 - Mar 28 with 1821 viewspointofblue

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:42 - Mar 28 by chrismakin

Pretty much yeah, it's gone exactly how I imagined it would go and backs up why for me I've been writing this season off for weeks now.

Are we really saying that 15 teams have better squads than us? That in August we thought “we’re just a loser mid table team really”? And if so, why did we sack the manager who got them to compete for a play off place (ok, his transfer dealings on the whole deserved the sack alone but...)?

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:53 - Mar 28 with 1812 viewschrismakin

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:46 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

Are we really saying that 15 teams have better squads than us? That in August we thought “we’re just a loser mid table team really”? And if so, why did we sack the manager who got them to compete for a play off place (ok, his transfer dealings on the whole deserved the sack alone but...)?

For me we have some solid individual players, but not suited together and where we have weaknesses we don't have 'proper' cover. I.E Downes is a massive miss, or just not that great an option - Chambers as a Fullback. It works defensively, but will never be enough for attacking purposes etc. We just don't have the 'right' players for the right purposes

And sorry you're last point, what manager you referring to lambert? sorry i can't work out who you're talking about lol as we haven't really competed for a play off place.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 0:53]

16th. That's what we are really. on 02:00 - Mar 28 with 1792 viewspointofblue

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:53 - Mar 28 by chrismakin

For me we have some solid individual players, but not suited together and where we have weaknesses we don't have 'proper' cover. I.E Downes is a massive miss, or just not that great an option - Chambers as a Fullback. It works defensively, but will never be enough for attacking purposes etc. We just don't have the 'right' players for the right purposes

And sorry you're last point, what manager you referring to lambert? sorry i can't work out who you're talking about lol as we haven't really competed for a play off place.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 0:53]

Lambert left us two points off the play offs. That’s competing for a play off place though Cook got it right after Portsmouth when he said it feels like we’re not in this even though we are.

I agree the squad lacks balance but is it so bad that the best we can hope for is 16th? I just wish Downes had stayed fit as we seemed to have clicked against Plymouth and then became unsurprisingly lightweight afterwards. We’re unlucky at right back with Matheson picking up an injury soon after joining as he would offer an alternative there.

16th. That's what we are really. on 02:20 - Mar 28 with 1775 viewschrismakin

16th. That's what we are really. on 02:00 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

Lambert left us two points off the play offs. That’s competing for a play off place though Cook got it right after Portsmouth when he said it feels like we’re not in this even though we are.

I agree the squad lacks balance but is it so bad that the best we can hope for is 16th? I just wish Downes had stayed fit as we seemed to have clicked against Plymouth and then became unsurprisingly lightweight afterwards. We’re unlucky at right back with Matheson picking up an injury soon after joining as he would offer an alternative there.

I see where you're coming from about Lambert but, that's kind of the point about the timeline and the 16th position in between them, The league has been bizarre and I still have no clue how we are still in with a chance of being in the top 6

But lambert did have to go, it's more of taking responsibility as afterall he had 2.5 years to get to where we did, I personally, after not sacking him in December, I'd have waited to do it as End of Feb made no sense imo, as I actually think it was then asking to much of PC to come in with this much expectation.

We've been unlucky at certain points, Nolan is a loss, he's marmite, I get that, but he is box to box and someone who I can see PC using alot of next season. Hawkins, nothing fancy but very good a bringing players into the game, he's been a big miss. As you say matheson looked like he could be the RB answer, then got injured.

It's a big mixture of ifs, buts, whys, but overall, I think if you break everything down, for various reasons, we just aren't good enough - at this moment in time.

Of course, not all clubs have excellent players throughout, but they have solid players in the most important positions. I've not come across another side this season who played with wide players who struggled to whip a ball in as much as we do, or midfields who struggle to make open play chances. Even when playing the 'lower' sides, when they attack us they actually look like they may score, I rarely get excited when we have the ball as you'll almost certainly waiting for it to end in dissapointment.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 2:34]

16th. That's what we are really. on 02:43 - Mar 28 with 1744 viewschrismakin

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

Wigan still looked most likely to score from open play too.

My son, doesn't really follow football, he's into Cars, but he watched the game with me as we were watching the f1 on the tv too, he actually turned following an Edwards ' cross into first man chest' " is that all ipswich do, they never seem to do anything"

yes son, im afraid so.

16th. That's what we are really. on 06:09 - Mar 28 with 1606 viewsCoastalblue

"yet people are shocked PC hasn't taken us on a play off march because we won a couple of unconvincing games just before he came in. Which somehow through some minor miracle kept us within touching distance of the top 6, in the mathematical sense."

Im not sure anybody is shocked, it's been pretty clear this season has been a right off for a while, probably the end of October!

I think people are perhaps a little disapointed that there's been no real change, we look as bad as ever.

That probably is down to the mentality amongst the squad, but I don't think it's unrealistic to have hoped to see a few green shoots in the first few games under a new manager even if we didn't get that fabled bounce.

I'm not trying to write PC off, I hope he'll do great things, want him to be given a fair crack of the whip and a chance to get us moving the right way, I did hope for a little more initially though I must admit.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

16th. That's what we are really. on 06:16 - Mar 28 with 1598 viewschrismakin

16th. That's what we are really. on 06:09 - Mar 28 by Coastalblue

"yet people are shocked PC hasn't taken us on a play off march because we won a couple of unconvincing games just before he came in. Which somehow through some minor miracle kept us within touching distance of the top 6, in the mathematical sense."

Im not sure anybody is shocked, it's been pretty clear this season has been a right off for a while, probably the end of October!

I think people are perhaps a little disapointed that there's been no real change, we look as bad as ever.

That probably is down to the mentality amongst the squad, but I don't think it's unrealistic to have hoped to see a few green shoots in the first few games under a new manager even if we didn't get that fabled bounce.

I'm not trying to write PC off, I hope he'll do great things, want him to be given a fair crack of the whip and a chance to get us moving the right way, I did hope for a little more initially though I must admit.

That's fair, but he could still win a few games anyway

But there are quite a few on here and on the wider social channels who keep referring to being just a point off playoffs when he came and how not finishing in the playoffs would be a failure on his part which I find astonishing tbh

16th. That's what we are really. on 09:39 - Mar 28 with 1423 viewspointofblue

16th. That's what we are really. on 06:16 - Mar 28 by chrismakin

That's fair, but he could still win a few games anyway

But there are quite a few on here and on the wider social channels who keep referring to being just a point off playoffs when he came and how not finishing in the playoffs would be a failure on his part which I find astonishing tbh

Me being one of them because surely we did not bring in Cook when we did just to finish mid table? Admittedly you’ve said as much in an earlier post but, after allowing him to destroy the January transfer window, we may as well have given Lambert to the end of the season.

He has been unfortunate with injuries - particularly Matheson and Downes. I’m not including KVY because the level of stupidity to start him yesterday after the length of time he’s been out is off 5he scale and bothers me more than anything about him; that was the second time he’s rushed a player back before he was ready and I still don’t get why he took the risk.

16th. That's what we are really. on 09:49 - Mar 28 with 1401 viewsGuthrum

16th. That's what we are really. on 00:46 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

The old chestnut about form and class.

Our squad ought to be cut above most in this division. Most have played in the Champ or for top L1 teams, were good Youth prospects or, in Norwood's case, was the leading goalscorer in L2.

But our form is pretty terrible. That can be for a variety of reasons - morale, fitness, organisation, motivation. Only the third of those can be put right instantly - and even that takes time for players to get used to it (plus Cook is still looking for a setup which works with the players at his disposal). Our squad may be huge and quality on paper, but too many of the players individually are crocked or out-of-sorts.

So in terms of class, we ought to be top six, if not better. In terms of form, we're nearing relegation fodder.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:09 - Mar 28 with 1365 viewsGuthrum

16th. That's what we are really. on 09:39 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

Me being one of them because surely we did not bring in Cook when we did just to finish mid table? Admittedly you’ve said as much in an earlier post but, after allowing him to destroy the January transfer window, we may as well have given Lambert to the end of the season.

He has been unfortunate with injuries - particularly Matheson and Downes. I’m not including KVY because the level of stupidity to start him yesterday after the length of time he’s been out is off 5he scale and bothers me more than anything about him; that was the second time he’s rushed a player back before he was ready and I still don’t get why he took the risk.

With regards to KVY, what's the difference between starting him and bringing him on with 30 minutes left, then having his hamstring go at the end of the game instead? At least with the former he's had a good warm-up first, rather than sitting on the bench for an hour with just the odd jog along the sidelines.

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:18 - Mar 28 with 1339 viewspointofblue

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:09 - Mar 28 by Guthrum

With regards to KVY, what's the difference between starting him and bringing him on with 30 minutes left, then having his hamstring go at the end of the game instead? At least with the former he's had a good warm-up first, rather than sitting on the bench for an hour with just the odd jog along the sidelines.

I wouldn’t have even given him 30 minutes at this stage - 15 minutes tops and ease him back into it.

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:28 - Mar 28 with 1308 viewsGuthrum

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:18 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

I wouldn’t have even given him 30 minutes at this stage - 15 minutes tops and ease him back into it.

But what's the point of having a place on the bench occupied by someone you know can't manage more than ten or fifteen minutes, who can only be introduced in the final stage of a game? That's not long enough to have much of an impact and means you need to reserve a substitution slot until that stage. You're subordinating your gameplan to getting one man fit.

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:28 - Mar 28 with 1307 viewspistonbroke

If you go by the games cook has been here we are 21st with just 4 goals scored , address it how you want but that is not good
16th. That's what we are really. on 10:35 - Mar 28 with 1289 viewsMerseyBlue

16th. That's what we are really. on 09:49 - Mar 28 by Guthrum

The old chestnut about form and class.

Our squad ought to be cut above most in this division. Most have played in the Champ or for top L1 teams, were good Youth prospects or, in Norwood's case, was the leading goalscorer in L2.

But our form is pretty terrible. That can be for a variety of reasons - morale, fitness, organisation, motivation. Only the third of those can be put right instantly - and even that takes time for players to get used to it (plus Cook is still looking for a setup which works with the players at his disposal). Our squad may be huge and quality on paper, but too many of the players individually are crocked or out-of-sorts.

So in terms of class, we ought to be top six, if not better. In terms of form, we're nearing relegation fodder.

Your 2nd paragraph seems to be a common thought on here, but I just don't see it.

We finished dead last in the Championship with the majority of those players who have Championship experience. Maybe at one time some of them were good enough to play Championship football, but age, injury, and lack of motivation had clearly caught up with them in one way or another by the end of 2019.

Then you have the departure of a decent goalkeeper, the realisation that most of Hurst's signings aren't even good League 1 players, and exciting homegrown players who statistically offer nothing to the team.

Add in a salary cap, injury and some more ineffective signings and you've got an overgrown, overrated and overpaid mob of players who just aren't capable of anything more than mid-table mediocrity.

I've spent a lot of money watching this hapless bunch this season, despite thinking this since last season but yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back. They're useless, they don't care and now neither do I. Checking out until next season when hopefully most of them will have moved on.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:40 - Mar 28 with 1270 viewspointofblue

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:28 - Mar 28 by Guthrum

But what's the point of having a place on the bench occupied by someone you know can't manage more than ten or fifteen minutes, who can only be introduced in the final stage of a game? That's not long enough to have much of an impact and means you need to reserve a substitution slot until that stage. You're subordinating your gameplan to getting one man fit.

Yet most sides seem to do that over starting someone from the off who has not played for over a year. If circumstances dictate you don’t give them a run out then you leave them where they are. Or give them time in the Under 23s to get back to match fitness where you can prioritise subs over the match itself, then bring them back into the fold when their fitness is more assured.

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:45 - Mar 28 with 1266 viewsPinewoodblue

You only have to compare our goals for and against figures with those of Peterborough.

The goals against are identical but they have scored more at home than Town have anywhere.

Our preferred line up is 4-2-3-1. We might moan about our defending but it is good enough to get out of this league.

What is letting us down is the front four, we started with three behind a lone striker. Three players who probably expect this is their last ride on the gravy train that is Ipswich Town.

I believe PC when he says we are good enough to make the top six. All PC has to do is show he is capable of getting them to perform. He hasn’t managed it yet, his reputation is on the line at a club that has proven to be a managerial graveyard.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:46 - Mar 28 with 1262 viewsGuthrum

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:35 - Mar 28 by MerseyBlue

Your 2nd paragraph seems to be a common thought on here, but I just don't see it.

We finished dead last in the Championship with the majority of those players who have Championship experience. Maybe at one time some of them were good enough to play Championship football, but age, injury, and lack of motivation had clearly caught up with them in one way or another by the end of 2019.

Then you have the departure of a decent goalkeeper, the realisation that most of Hurst's signings aren't even good League 1 players, and exciting homegrown players who statistically offer nothing to the team.

Add in a salary cap, injury and some more ineffective signings and you've got an overgrown, overrated and overpaid mob of players who just aren't capable of anything more than mid-table mediocrity.

I've spent a lot of money watching this hapless bunch this season, despite thinking this since last season but yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back. They're useless, they don't care and now neither do I. Checking out until next season when hopefully most of them will have moved on.

Relegation happened after we'd drawn our own Championship teeth and restocked with a bunch of League One players. Even the latter had mostly reached that division's playoffs the preceding season.

Injury and motivation I would categorise as form, not class.

16th. That's what we are really. on 12:28 - Mar 28 with 1188 viewsGuthrum

16th. That's what we are really. on 10:40 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

Yet most sides seem to do that over starting someone from the off who has not played for over a year. If circumstances dictate you don’t give them a run out then you leave them where they are. Or give them time in the Under 23s to get back to match fitness where you can prioritise subs over the match itself, then bring them back into the fold when their fitness is more assured.

Yes, following the U23s route would hve been more sensible. But, unfortunately, we were too desperate to have him back in the team, both for his ability at RB and because a shortage in the centre required Chambers to move there.

16th. That's what we are really. on 12:30 - Mar 28 with 1185 viewspointofblue

16th. That's what we are really. on 12:28 - Mar 28 by Guthrum

Yes, following the U23s route would hve been more sensible. But, unfortunately, we were too desperate to have him back in the team, both for his ability at RB and because a shortage in the centre required Chambers to move there.

We had Woolfenden to play either right back or centre back - it almost feels like he was gambling on short term gain for long term pain; same with Skuse even though I could understand that one more as we’re desperately missing Downes.

16th. That's what we are really. on 14:04 - Mar 28 with 1117 viewsGuthrum

16th. That's what we are really. on 12:30 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

We had Woolfenden to play either right back or centre back - it almost feels like he was gambling on short term gain for long term pain; same with Skuse even though I could understand that one more as we’re desperately missing Downes.

Not sure Cook feels Woolfenden is reliable.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024