Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 16:39 - May 19 with 1044 viewsTractorFrog

My rankings of the players from 2020-21. Only takes the league into account. The number of games played is also taken into account.
1. Toto Nsiala — from our worst player last season to our best this season. The defence did a solid job in a year when the attack failed, and Nsiala was the best of the bunch. Some outstanding blocks and few mistakes. I think he deserves a starting place next season, but that is extremely unlikely given that he’s been transfer listed.
2. Luke Chambers — the outgoing skipper has had another impressive season and has always been one of our best players during his time here. Filling in at right-back once again, he was solid in defence and not too bad getting forward. Places behind Nsiala because of a poor run of form before Christmas (similar to that of Ward).
3. James Wilson — probably the most consistently good player this year but didn’t play enough games to be above Chambers or Nsiala. The fact that the top three are all defenders says a lot about our season.
4. Andre Dozzell — no goals or assists, but still a good breakthrough season from Dozzell. Was only out of the team by choice once all season, and his final game against Fleetwood was outstanding.
5. Teddy Bishop — flashes of brilliance, but inconsistent. Arguably our best player, along with Edwards, until their injuries, and wasn’t quite as good afterwards. I still think he deserves another season.
6. Gwion Edwards — similar to Bishop. He had an excellent start to the season, particularly in the Blackpool game, but then had an injury and wasn’t the same when he returned.
7. James Norwood — seemed to be our only player who could score goals in the second half of the season but played too few games. By far the best striker at the club.
8. Tomas Holy — he was quite poor during Paul Cook’s time at the club which has dented his reputation at the club and seems likely to leave this summer. But did a solid job during Lambert’s time and made many good saves.
9. Myles Kenlock — another who seems likely to leave, but I think should stay. He had a horrible time when he first replaced Ward, but his second stint in the side was excellent. That assist for Norwood’s winner against Hull was one of the best moments of the season.
10. Alan Judge — a season of two halves. In the first half of the season, he was the most hated player by the fans as he consistently put in poor performances but continued to get picked. But since the defeat of Swindon, he was excellent, and was our best attacking player (besides Norwood).
11. Stephen Ward — didn’t really live up to expectations. Was outstanding at the start of the year, then never fully recovered from the injury at MK Dons and slowly went downhill after that. His stint in the side towards the end of the year was better, but Kenlock was the better left-back this season.
12. Flynn Downes — our best player in 2019/20 but didn’t reach the same heights this season and now seems set to leave the club. His transfer request, and then injury at MK Dons meant that Downes played almost no football in the first half of the year. When he returned, there were flashes of brilliance, but more injuries meant the season never really got going.
13. Mark McGuinness — a pointless signing, as we already had enough centre-backs, but in fairness McGuinness did do a decent job for Ipswich this season. He’s error-prone, but is talented, and played more games at centre-back than any other player besides Nsiala.
14. Armando Dobra — didn’t play enough games to place any higher but was excellent when he did play. It would be ridiculous to sell him, in my opinion.
15. Kane Vincent-Young — also played well when fit but didn’t play enough. Vincent-Young is one of our best players, but is so injury prone, and had he been fit all year we might have made the playoffs.
16. Luke Woolfenden — a very poor season from Woolfenden, after looking like a future Premier League player this time last year. I still think we should keep him.
17. Jon Nolan — excellent in the first few games, then dropped off after the stupid red card and then got injured. Seems one of few to be retained for next year.
18. Troy Parrott — some good matches and some bad, but he was one of the better loanees this season. Scored the second most goals of all the strikers (with two).
19. Oli Hawkins — only one goal, but the excellent goal-scoring form of Edwards, Bishop and Nolan came when he was in the team. Another hit by injuries.
20. Brett McGavin — a similar story to Dobra in that he also can’t place higher because of a lack of games, but did well when he played, and deserves to stay for next season.
21. David Cornell — the backup keeper for most of the season was quite good when he played but did have that horrible blunder at Swindon.
22. Aaron Drinan — some fantastic moments, but not enough goals and too many mistakes. Should be loaned to league 2 next season.
23. Jack Lankester — showed so much promise early in the season and scored that 97th minute winner at Shrewsbury, but also had some very quiet games and disappeared later in the season. I think he should be kept but loaned to league 2 next season.
24. Freddie Sears — played a lot of games but has been a shadow of his former self since returning from that horrible injury. Has had a great career with Ipswich.
25. Kayden Jackson — after a great season last year, Jackson struggled in a one-striker system, and had a very poor season. Will most likely be sold.
26. Keanan Bennetts — he had the potential to be an excellent player but made so many mistakes this season. It’s surprising how often he was picked.
27. Luke Matheson — a very strange Ipswich career. One great match, followed by one shocker, and then he just disappeared.
28. Emyr Huws — what a shame that the very promising Huws never really got his Ipswich career going. Wasn’t too bad when he played but was clearly well down the pecking order of midfielders.
29. Luke Thomas — very few matches from the Barnsley winger, but also wasn’t too bad when he played. It feels bad that Ipswich are now signing players that Barnsley don’t want.
30. Josh Harrop — he played in a lot of games but just didn’t really do a lot and made too many errors, and of course got that silly red card.
31. Cole Skuse — it is such a shame that his Ipswich career ended this way because he has been one of our best players this last decade. But the truth is he only had one start, and it was that awful Fleetwood game (where Skuse wasn’t the only player to play poorly). However, his three sub appearances were all perfectly decent performances.

No rank — Tyreece Simpson, Liam Gibbs, Tristan Nydam — all three are unranked because they played fewer than 90 minutes, but all did well when they played. Gibbs looks a fantastic prospect for the future; Simpson also looks like he deserves a chance next year. Unfortunately, Nydam has been released, but will do well for another club in the future.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 16:50 - May 19 with 979 viewsHerbivore

This thread puts me in mind of the Bristol stool chart. All different shapes and shades of sh!t, basically.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 21:28 - May 19 with 777 viewsJuggsy

Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 16:50 - May 19 by Herbivore

This thread puts me in mind of the Bristol stool chart. All different shapes and shades of sh!t, basically.

Freddie Sears has had a great career at Ipswich? 32 goals in 203 games including numerous long goal droughts tells a different story. Started off well then faded into near obscurity for the next 5 years is probably more accurate. Always ran his socks off, not always played in his best position and that injury towards the end, but another of the players that has threatened to produce but rarely turned up I think

I mean I wish him well, but rose tinted specs from a lot of people seeing as he’s moving on.
Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 21:32 - May 19 with 761 viewsJuggsy

Oh I can’t stop reading it. Number 4 Andre Dozzell - No goals or assists.

I’m in agreement, it’s like grading different shades of sh1te!
Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 21:37 - May 19 with 747 viewscatch74

Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 21:28 - May 19 by Juggsy

Freddie Sears has had a great career at Ipswich? 32 goals in 203 games including numerous long goal droughts tells a different story. Started off well then faded into near obscurity for the next 5 years is probably more accurate. Always ran his socks off, not always played in his best position and that injury towards the end, but another of the players that has threatened to produce but rarely turned up I think

I mean I wish him well, but rose tinted specs from a lot of people seeing as he’s moving on.

I was looking at Sonny Bradley’s goal stats, thinking with his height he might get a few from set pieces. He hasn’t really, except for a few at Plymouth - something like 11 in 83, not far behind Sears in goal to game ratio - but that’s not really his main strength! Sears was played out of position a fair bit and has lost his nip since his injury. Wish him well wherever he goes.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Ipswich Town player rankings 2020/21 on 21:49 - May 19 with 726 viewsAlexGreen

"Aaron Drinan — some fantastic moments"

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024