Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peru 08:45 - Jan 11 with 1369 viewsDJR

Interesting to note that the recent coup d'etat against a democratically elected President in Peru has received virtually no coverage, perhaps because it appears that the USA supported the coup.

This is in marked contrast to the insurrections in the USA and Brazil, both of which were awful from a symbolic point of view but really had no chance of success.

At the time, the coup was condemned by, amongst other countries, Mexico, Bolivia, Colombia, Argentina and Honduras.

This, for example, is what Wikipedia says about the Honduran reaction.

"The Foreign Ministry called what happened to Castillo, a coup d'état. It published a statement communicating its "energetic condemnation of the coup d'état that occurred in Peru, which is the result of a series of events to erode democracy and the sovereign will of the people represented by President Pedro Castillo." Honduras also demanded that Castillo's "physical integrity and human rights be respected," adding, "The government of Honduras hopes that the democratic order and electoral sovereignty of Peru retake the rule of law and guarantees its rights, amid this grave constitutional violation."

The thing is that the overthrown President Castillo was indigenous and had the support of the many indigenous people in Peru, but clearly the elite in that country (and presumably the US) weren't happy about his election.

Anyway, there have been large scale demonstrations by the people of Peru against what has happened, which has resulted in a brutal reaction, culminating on Monday with the death of 17 protestors, and claims of genocide.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/peru-launches-probe-to-investigate-presiden

I heard about the latest developments on the World Service where it was one of the main features, but I rather doubt this will get much, if any, coverage in the UK.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 9:10]
Peru on 09:27 - Jan 11 with 1273 viewsGuthrum

Tho Castillo was in the process of suppressing Congress and instituting emergency Presidential rule at the time he was overthrown. All this in the midst of an economic crisis.

Reading reports at the time, I admit I gound it difficult to judge which side was in the right. Whether it was a foiled attempt by Castillo to retain power in a crisis or others making use of it to get rid of him.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Peru on 09:44 - Jan 11 with 1243 viewsDJR

Peru on 09:27 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

Tho Castillo was in the process of suppressing Congress and instituting emergency Presidential rule at the time he was overthrown. All this in the midst of an economic crisis.

Reading reports at the time, I admit I gound it difficult to judge which side was in the right. Whether it was a foiled attempt by Castillo to retain power in a crisis or others making use of it to get rid of him.

The former was the only view given credence in this country (a Guardian article today contains the oft-repeated line "the ouster of Castillo, which came after he illegally attempted to dissolve Congress" when the situation was not straightforward) but I tend to the latter view, especially given the reaction of, say, the Mexican President.

Ultimately, it seems to be part of the left/right conflict in Latin America, and the US always supports the right, and has on several occasions managed to topple regimes, or back up pretty intolerant regimes.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 9:56]
Peru on 10:09 - Jan 11 with 1185 viewsGuthrum

Peru on 09:44 - Jan 11 by DJR

The former was the only view given credence in this country (a Guardian article today contains the oft-repeated line "the ouster of Castillo, which came after he illegally attempted to dissolve Congress" when the situation was not straightforward) but I tend to the latter view, especially given the reaction of, say, the Mexican President.

Ultimately, it seems to be part of the left/right conflict in Latin America, and the US always supports the right, and has on several occasions managed to topple regimes, or back up pretty intolerant regimes.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 9:56]

It seems to me that the (global) economic crisis is at the heart of this, putting massive strain on South and Central America's often quite young and not very robust democratic institutions at a time when governments simply do not have the answers to unemployment and rising prices. Add in, as you say, tensions between the urban poor and farming/mining wealth, the treatment of indiginous populations and frequently politicised militaries. Not a good mix.

Counterintuitively, considering the history of the US supporting right-wing authoritarians, they are backing Lula da Silva over Bolsonaro. Altho, historically, that promotion of the right was as a counter to the USSR supporting the other side.

Peru on 10:28 - Jan 11 with 1138 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Nothing like a bit of shock doctrine politics from the Kissenger playbook

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Peru on 10:29 - Jan 11 with 1138 viewsDJR

Peru on 10:09 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

It seems to me that the (global) economic crisis is at the heart of this, putting massive strain on South and Central America's often quite young and not very robust democratic institutions at a time when governments simply do not have the answers to unemployment and rising prices. Add in, as you say, tensions between the urban poor and farming/mining wealth, the treatment of indiginous populations and frequently politicised militaries. Not a good mix.

Counterintuitively, considering the history of the US supporting right-wing authoritarians, they are backing Lula da Silva over Bolsonaro. Altho, historically, that promotion of the right was as a counter to the USSR supporting the other side.

That's a fair analysis, although if Trump were still in power, maybe the US reaction would be more ambiguous.

Whatever, the position, I rather doubt we will be hearing any Western governments calling out the killings or possible genocide in Peru, when they would rush to do so if it were a country the West doesn't support..
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 10:34]
Peru on 10:44 - Jan 11 with 1094 viewsKeno

Of course the important question 'are Paddingtons family ok?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Peru on 11:04 - Jan 11 with 1011 viewsDJR

Peru on 10:29 - Jan 11 by DJR

That's a fair analysis, although if Trump were still in power, maybe the US reaction would be more ambiguous.

Whatever, the position, I rather doubt we will be hearing any Western governments calling out the killings or possible genocide in Peru, when they would rush to do so if it were a country the West doesn't support..
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 10:34]

It looks like the indigenous population have reasons to be angry given the following from Wikipedia. It's not something I remember being reported at the time but then again Fujimori was implementing neo-liberal reforms.

Forced sterilization in Peru were efforts variably described as the ethnic cleansing or genocide of indigenous peoples of Peru that occurred during the government of Alberto Fujimori through his National Population Program, with the such projects first being outlined in the Plan Verde of the Peruvian Armed Forces. More than 300,000 Peruvians — the majority impoverished or indigenous women — were forcibly sterilized during the Fujimori administration [in the 1990s.] The generational shift from the sterilizations resulted with the decimation of rural economies and increased poverty in those regions.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 11:08]
Peru on 11:26 - Jan 11 with 977 viewsGuthrum

Peru on 11:04 - Jan 11 by DJR

It looks like the indigenous population have reasons to be angry given the following from Wikipedia. It's not something I remember being reported at the time but then again Fujimori was implementing neo-liberal reforms.

Forced sterilization in Peru were efforts variably described as the ethnic cleansing or genocide of indigenous peoples of Peru that occurred during the government of Alberto Fujimori through his National Population Program, with the such projects first being outlined in the Plan Verde of the Peruvian Armed Forces. More than 300,000 Peruvians — the majority impoverished or indigenous women — were forcibly sterilized during the Fujimori administration [in the 1990s.] The generational shift from the sterilizations resulted with the decimation of rural economies and increased poverty in those regions.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 11:08]

I had heard of that, but it wasn't the reason Fujimori ended up in prison. That was the economic "reforms" (i.e. corruption). Tho he gained a lot of credit for ending the conflict with the Shining Path guerillas (themselves a pretty nasty bunch).

Login to get fewer ads

Peru on 12:10 - Jan 11 with 929 viewsDJR

Peru on 11:26 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

I had heard of that, but it wasn't the reason Fujimori ended up in prison. That was the economic "reforms" (i.e. corruption). Tho he gained a lot of credit for ending the conflict with the Shining Path guerillas (themselves a pretty nasty bunch).

You sound like you have some knowledge of both Peru and Latin America more generally.
Peru on 12:19 - Jan 11 with 911 viewsDJR

Peru on 10:44 - Jan 11 by Keno

Of course the important question 'are Paddingtons family ok?

That's a very good point which I hadn't thought about.

Sadly my OP is not interesting enough to even reach a whole page, let alone 20. Nor is it controversial enough to be pulled.

I'll have to learn from the master, and do better.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 12:23]
Peru on 12:21 - Jan 11 with 893 viewsKeno

Peru on 12:19 - Jan 11 by DJR

That's a very good point which I hadn't thought about.

Sadly my OP is not interesting enough to even reach a whole page, let alone 20. Nor is it controversial enough to be pulled.

I'll have to learn from the master, and do better.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2023 12:23]

Its a valiant effort and actually I think deserved more response than its got.

Threads like this are useful in building a TWTD portfolio and come in andes

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024