Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leiston Striker 10:23 - Jan 12 with 6878 viewshavinit69

Just a thought, Leiston striker Matt Blake has scored 27 goals this season so far and was injured for about 3 weeks as well! He also scored 119 in the previous 3 seasons for Norwich Utd.

I watch Leiston regularly and he is attracting a lot of attention for lower football league clubs and National League teams. He's already scored 3 goals against Bromley this season and they are watching him (allegedly).

Now, I'm not saying he is the the answer to all ITFCs striker problems but Tyrone Mings was playing that level and I'm amazed that he hasn't even been invited to train or play an under 23s game for Ipswich.

He's by far and away the best non league striker locally and will probably get pinched from under our noses.

Instead of bidding over the odds for journeymen and strikers that have never been prolific, is it that unreasonable to think that he may be able to do a job with a season or 2s experience training and playing for the under 23s?

As I said, just a thought...
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 10:24]
Leiston Striker on 10:24 - Jan 12 with 4967 viewsNo9

In past years it was clubs like Leiston that were the providers of talent for trials.
Anyone not remember Ted Phillips ?
Leiston Striker on 10:25 - Jan 12 with 4955 viewsGuthrum

What's his background, was he at anyone's academy?

Certainly worth a look.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Leiston Striker on 10:40 - Jan 12 with 4869 viewshavinit69

Leiston Striker on 10:25 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

What's his background, was he at anyone's academy?

Certainly worth a look.

No I don't believe so but when you've scored 146 goals in 3 and a half seasons and especially the goals he's got this season, that makes him pretty prolific in my book.

The only thing that goes against him is that he 26/27 years old. But he wouldn't be the first player in his mid 20s to make a name for himself from that level.

As you say, why wouldn't you at least have a look? Absolutely nothing to lose.
Leiston Striker on 10:44 - Jan 12 with 4847 viewsdirtyboy

Leiston Striker on 10:40 - Jan 12 by havinit69

No I don't believe so but when you've scored 146 goals in 3 and a half seasons and especially the goals he's got this season, that makes him pretty prolific in my book.

The only thing that goes against him is that he 26/27 years old. But he wouldn't be the first player in his mid 20s to make a name for himself from that level.

I've always believed a goalscorer is one of the few positions that 'should' make a transition up leagues easier.

Either you're composed in front of goal or you're not. Chances become more difficult as you go up in levels as the defending is better, but the goal is still there in front of you and a target to be hit.
Leiston Striker on 11:06 - Jan 12 with 4771 viewsGuthrum

Mings, prior to playing for Yate and Chippenham, was at Southampton's academy (released for being too small, then went to Millfield School and grew). Just wondered if Blake had similarly been spotted when young but dropped down the system for whatever reason.

That's not too old, if he's capable of stepping up fairly quickly to a much higher level. Gives him at least five years.

The other question is what sort of striker is he - runner, goal-poacher, uses physical strength, a combination of those?

Leiston Striker on 11:10 - Jan 12 with 4744 viewssoupytwist

Sam Newson from Needham Market was someone in a similar situation a couple of seasons back. He was supposed to have a trial at Gillingham but he got injured and nothing came of it.
Leiston Striker on 11:12 - Jan 12 with 4730 viewshype313

Never say never, but at 28 and has been playing in the Thurlow Nunn league for Wroxham and Thetford, it would be a jump of epic proportions to then replicate that in the Championship.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Leiston Striker on 11:13 - Jan 12 with 4718 viewsNo9

http://www.leistonfc.co.uk/teams/54880/player/matt-blake-1719294/34447
Login to get fewer ads

Leiston Striker on 11:28 - Jan 12 with 4642 viewshavinit69

Leiston Striker on 11:06 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

Mings, prior to playing for Yate and Chippenham, was at Southampton's academy (released for being too small, then went to Millfield School and grew). Just wondered if Blake had similarly been spotted when young but dropped down the system for whatever reason.

That's not too old, if he's capable of stepping up fairly quickly to a much higher level. Gives him at least five years.

The other question is what sort of striker is he - runner, goal-poacher, uses physical strength, a combination of those?

For me he is an out and out striker, scores some outrageous goals and gets the tap ins as well. He runs defenders ragged, a bit like Jamie Vardy. Scores left foot, right foot and headers. If ever Leiston are playing and you are local, you should have a look.
Leiston Striker on 11:40 - Jan 12 with 4600 viewshavinit69

Leiston Striker on 11:12 - Jan 12 by hype313

Never say never, but at 28 and has been playing in the Thurlow Nunn league for Wroxham and Thetford, it would be a jump of epic proportions to then replicate that in the Championship.

I agree and I'm not saying that he is the answer. I'm just saying that with that return, whatever the level, it shouldn't be ignored.
Leiston Striker on 11:43 - Jan 12 with 4584 viewsconnorscontract

Leiston Striker on 11:28 - Jan 12 by havinit69

For me he is an out and out striker, scores some outrageous goals and gets the tap ins as well. He runs defenders ragged, a bit like Jamie Vardy. Scores left foot, right foot and headers. If ever Leiston are playing and you are local, you should have a look.

Vardy is lightning quick, though, which enabled him to step up. Is Blake speedy?
Leiston Striker on 11:56 - Jan 12 with 4526 viewsGuthrum

Leiston Striker on 11:28 - Jan 12 by havinit69

Sadly, I'm on the other side of the country, so can't.

From the sounds of how good he is for Leiston and was for Norwich Utd before that, I'd be surprised if ITFC haven't looked at him already.

Leiston Striker on 11:58 - Jan 12 with 4512 viewshavinit69

Leiston Striker on 11:43 - Jan 12 by connorscontract

Vardy is lightning quick, though, which enabled him to step up. Is Blake speedy?

Yeah he is quick. I'm not saying he's the next Jamie Vardy but he reminds me a lot of him. Never gives a defender a moments peace and his football brain and the runs he makes is why he is so prolific.
Leiston Striker on 12:48 - Jan 12 with 4375 viewsbournemouthblue

Leiston Striker on 11:56 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

Sadly, I'm on the other side of the country, so can't.

From the sounds of how good he is for Leiston and was for Norwich Utd before that, I'd be surprised if ITFC haven't looked at him already.

Even if it isn't Ipswich, someone down the footballing ladder would be interested surely?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Leiston Striker on 12:56 - Jan 12 with 4321 viewsCaptainObvious

we signed Roger Osborne from Grundisburgh at the age of 23

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Leiston Striker on 13:03 - Jan 12 with 4285 viewsTractorCam

I found out about him over a year ago in a game between Ipswich Wanderers and Norwich United, Norwich won 6-2 with Blake scoring 5, all incredible finishes too

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Leiston Striker on 14:01 - Jan 12 with 4189 viewshavinit69

Leiston Striker on 13:03 - Jan 12 by TractorCam

I found out about him over a year ago in a game between Ipswich Wanderers and Norwich United, Norwich won 6-2 with Blake scoring 5, all incredible finishes too

He scored 4 on Saturday away at Burgess Hill in a 6-0 win!
Leiston Striker on 14:22 - Jan 12 with 4154 viewsLord_Lucan

Well obviously I haven't heard of him but with those stats you would think we should be inviting him for a trial - and maybe we are.

But if we aren't this just compounds what I think about everything in the world.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Leiston Striker on 15:31 - Jan 12 with 4062 viewsRobTheMonk

I used to play footy locally and our striker was a fat lump who would smoke and drink energy drinks at halftime. He was literally about 18 stone. However, I'm convinced that if he had been coached properly from a young age he'd of been professional. We would call him SlumDog Berbatov as he honestly had the best touch out of professional football that I've seen and would score 30+ every season including one utterly ridiculous bicycle kick from 20 yards. Could it be that Blake has never had coaching that pushed him on to that next level? Trial game would be the best option - neither party has anything to lose.
Leiston Striker on 17:35 - Jan 12 with 3936 viewshavinit69

Leiston Striker on 14:22 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

Well obviously I haven't heard of him but with those stats you would think we should be inviting him for a trial - and maybe we are.

But if we aren't this just compounds what I think about everything in the world.

I'm pretty sure it's only a handful of clubs from league 2 and the National League that are allegedly keeping tabs on him. It's would be just our luck he makes that step, carries on scoring and then be out of our price range!
Leiston Striker on 18:09 - Jan 12 with 3882 viewsbournemouthblue

Leiston Striker on 17:35 - Jan 12 by havinit69

I'm pretty sure it's only a handful of clubs from league 2 and the National League that are allegedly keeping tabs on him. It's would be just our luck he makes that step, carries on scoring and then be out of our price range!

He'd be worth picking up, even if it were simply to loan him and sell him to a lower league club at a profit?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Leiston Striker on 19:35 - Jan 12 with 3781 views3_5_2

Leiston Striker on 15:31 - Jan 12 by RobTheMonk

I used to play footy locally and our striker was a fat lump who would smoke and drink energy drinks at halftime. He was literally about 18 stone. However, I'm convinced that if he had been coached properly from a young age he'd of been professional. We would call him SlumDog Berbatov as he honestly had the best touch out of professional football that I've seen and would score 30+ every season including one utterly ridiculous bicycle kick from 20 yards. Could it be that Blake has never had coaching that pushed him on to that next level? Trial game would be the best option - neither party has anything to lose.

I know 2 "A" license coaches who worked with him and whilst he is very quick, direct, they never thought he could play pro. Higher, yes.

One used to be head of the NCFC academy so no mug football wise

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Leiston Striker on 21:38 - Jan 12 with 3646 viewsjrobot

Got to be worth a punt. With a high amount of dross from
Overseas blocking a lot of English talent in this country there are some great players in lower league football. Arsenal have just taken a lad from hednesford. I think we should at least give him a trial. Guys on this board are more clued up than the lot running the club.
Leiston Striker on 21:57 - Jan 12 with 3578 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Was chatting to Byron Lawrence earlier, who is now at Leiston after a spell out of the game. Said that Blake is a machine and, though Leiston are geared up to service him, he scores quality goals time after time. He didn't seem aware that town had shown any kind of interest.
Leiston Striker on 23:41 - Jan 12 with 3482 viewsDinnernotTea

Is he from scum?

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024