Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? 09:49 - Jan 15 with 7258 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The atmosphere, the performance, the feel good factor and the fist pump.

It just felt like a message between fans and players of 'the past is the past, let's move on now together and get back to how it was. Clean slate.'

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:53 - Jan 15 with 4301 viewsgtsb1966

Forget the cup replay and look at the next eight league games. It could all get very toxic quite easily. I hope not because that would mean we've won a few but ......
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:54 - Jan 15 with 4277 viewsKeaneish

Yeah agree, just posted as much in a thread labelled, "18 points". Definitely a change in approach and for the better, just in the knick of time. OK, Blackburn were poor bur its irrelevant really, there was genuine cause for optimism yesterday and for many reasons.

Looking forward to the transfer window. I might even make a trip to Preston!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:56 - Jan 15 with 4259 viewstextbackup

It was good, very good at times, but Berra still has errors in him weekly, Sears can't score, and an injury to Lawrence will be us fooked.
A turning point for will only be after a consistent run of 6/7 games where we win a couple on the bounce etc

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:57 - Jan 15 with 4240 viewsSWGF

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:53 - Jan 15 by gtsb1966

Forget the cup replay and look at the next eight league games. It could all get very toxic quite easily. I hope not because that would mean we've won a few but ......

Quite. One swallow and all that.

Playing well and trying to pass it against a team which looked shot to pieces in defence is the first step. Let's see where we all are at 2pm on 26th Feb because that's one hell of a run of matches. We've seen that MM doesn't tend to stick to the more "expansive" style of play for too long once things don't go to plan.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:58 - Jan 15 with 4229 viewsjas0999

Yes and no. It was a much better performance and Mick was rewards by selecting an attacking line up. The decision not to start with both Douglas and Skuse paid off too.

BUT Blackburn were very poor and we have been here before. Bristol City for example. Next game we played well, but a couple of dodgy decisions from Mick cost us, then the least said about Lincoln at home the better.

I hope you are right though, but yesterday saw the end of a so called easier fixture. Boy do some of the next league games look tough. I'm not convinced we have a good enough squad to press on against those teams. BUT a couple of feel good signings could be the make or break. Let's see.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:59 - Jan 15 with 4213 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:56 - Jan 15 by textbackup

It was good, very good at times, but Berra still has errors in him weekly, Sears can't score, and an injury to Lawrence will be us fooked.
A turning point for will only be after a consistent run of 6/7 games where we win a couple on the bounce etc

Perhaps I should've said 'the beginning of a turning point'

The mood around the place and the look of the players at full time was exactly how it should be. You could see how appreciative they were for the excellent support they received - particularly second half

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 4186 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:58 - Jan 15 by jas0999

Yes and no. It was a much better performance and Mick was rewards by selecting an attacking line up. The decision not to start with both Douglas and Skuse paid off too.

BUT Blackburn were very poor and we have been here before. Bristol City for example. Next game we played well, but a couple of dodgy decisions from Mick cost us, then the least said about Lincoln at home the better.

I hope you are right though, but yesterday saw the end of a so called easier fixture. Boy do some of the next league games look tough. I'm not convinced we have a good enough squad to press on against those teams. BUT a couple of feel good signings could be the make or break. Let's see.

The turning point was more about the mood and the way when at 1 all the players desperately needed a lift, the north stand ramped up the atmosphere instead of turning on the players as we'd seen in previous weeks.

And then at full time when they were clapping the fans, you could see their appreciation was genuine

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 10:03 - Jan 15 with 4167 viewsBLUEBEAT

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:53 - Jan 15 by gtsb1966

I don't think you can forget the cup replay.

Get outplayed again by Lincoln and it will be more than 2 more steps back. Again.

Need to smash them. Smash them for all to see. And then that's another building block before a Hellish few weeks.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 10:21 - Jan 15 with 4046 viewsSteve_M

Far too early to be proclaiming that but, if we ignore Lincoln for a minute, that is three league matches in a row where we've passed the ball around far more than we've hoofed it. It was quite positive after Wigan and Bristol City, only to turn again after the next result.

it would be nice if the air has been cleared a bit between fans and players because the ret of the season will be a good bit more enjoyable with a bit of positivity around.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 11:53 - Jan 15 with 3756 viewspowinswitch

Romford, I am generally as positive about McCarthy as you are, but credit to him for yesterday's selection. I agree with you that it all felt so much better yesterday. That started with the feeling that we were actually set up to win the game. Too often that has not been how I felt when I head the team before matches. Well done Mick ..... now let's try and be more positive, more often. But well done.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 12:15 - Jan 15 with 3689 viewspeterleeblue

Good positivity Rommy. However one swallow and all that.
I'm with you on MM I still want him to succeed. But its one game at a time for now.
I really hope we take the cup game seriously as we aren't going up or down so a little run to the fifth round to at least keep the season alive until mid Feb. would be welcome.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 12:48 - Jan 15 with 3567 viewsbraveblue

Really depends if MM sticks with that style of okay or goes negative again. He did a little yesterday when we went 3-1 up moving Sears to left wing and pulling the wing backs back to full back.

Fans right behind the team yesterday. Need Evans to spend a few quid and things could look brighter.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 13:55 - Jan 15 with 3437 viewsGuthrum

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 09:57 - Jan 15 by SWGF

Quite. One swallow and all that.

Playing well and trying to pass it against a team which looked shot to pieces in defence is the first step. Let's see where we all are at 2pm on 26th Feb because that's one hell of a run of matches. We've seen that MM doesn't tend to stick to the more "expansive" style of play for too long once things don't go to plan.

That having been said, a lot of people have declared that they are prepared to accept results suffering a bit if the style improves.

Plus if we play like we have for most of the last three League games and manage to cut out some of the defensive errors (not to mention Lawrence staying fit and in form), we won't do so badly even against stronger opposition.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 13:59 - Jan 15 with 3415 viewsHerbivore

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 12:48 - Jan 15 by braveblue

Really depends if MM sticks with that style of okay or goes negative again. He did a little yesterday when we went 3-1 up moving Sears to left wing and pulling the wing backs back to full back.

Fans right behind the team yesterday. Need Evans to spend a few quid and things could look brighter.

But yesterday saw us sacrifice a midfield player for a defender so I'm not sure how that fits the narrative that we usually go negative and that yesterday was an exception to that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:10 - Jan 15 with 3334 viewsoldbluestu

We are talking Ipswich fans you know, next defeat will be treated by a large % as the end of the world and relegation panic will hit as normal.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:14 - Jan 15 with 3327 viewsolimar

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 13:55 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

That having been said, a lot of people have declared that they are prepared to accept results suffering a bit if the style improves.

Plus if we play like we have for most of the last three League games and manage to cut out some of the defensive errors (not to mention Lawrence staying fit and in form), we won't do so badly even against stronger opposition.

The shame for me is that we have sporadic periods of confidence and belief, but we dont really take advantage of that and finish in a way that builds that confidence.
At QPR, at the 70 minute mark, most would have been satisfied that we were generally controlling the game, keeping possession and looking like we might get another. If we had finished the game like that, it would have been a big confidence boost. As it was, we didnt have the same control in the last 15 minutes, it felt possession was more even and we ended up conceding an unfortunate goal to lose.
Yesterday, at around the 70 minute mark, we were 3-1 ahead, creating chances and there was an expectation that Blackburn could get caught out chasing the game. If we had continued at that level, we could easily have run out winners by 3 or 4. At it was, we conceded an unfortunate penalty and the game evened out for the last 15 minutes and it felt more of a relief that we got the win at the end.

Bristol City was the exception in that we stepped up from the 70 minute mark, started being positive on the ball, creating chances, and a momentum built towards the eventual winning goal.

Id like to see the side play without that perceived handbrake being on- whether it is actually there because its MMs natural caution, or just that the teams fragile confidence plays a part in that when we get into a winning position. Putting the cup to one side, if we had finished in a strong fashion in each of our last three games, it gives a good platform to start the next one too.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:15 - Jan 15 with 3312 viewsSuperfrans

Personally, I thought Bristol and QPR were the beginnings of some kind of turnaround, in terms of the team we fielded, the tactics we deployed etc. But many of our fans showed they don't have the patience to see things through.

Yesterday, hopefully, was a sign that a penny had dropped with the more negative fans (hopefully a realisation that we really are trying something new and that the previous reaction from some was recognised by the players and was felt unfair).

The coming fixtures do look tough, but we've shown that we do have a team/squad capable of scrapping out some points. it's down to all of our fans now to show they are capable of getting behind the team when things are difficult.

We know games are going to be difficult coming up, so it's down to us.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:38 - Jan 15 with 3220 viewsGuthrum

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:14 - Jan 15 by olimar

The shame for me is that we have sporadic periods of confidence and belief, but we dont really take advantage of that and finish in a way that builds that confidence.
At QPR, at the 70 minute mark, most would have been satisfied that we were generally controlling the game, keeping possession and looking like we might get another. If we had finished the game like that, it would have been a big confidence boost. As it was, we didnt have the same control in the last 15 minutes, it felt possession was more even and we ended up conceding an unfortunate goal to lose.
Yesterday, at around the 70 minute mark, we were 3-1 ahead, creating chances and there was an expectation that Blackburn could get caught out chasing the game. If we had continued at that level, we could easily have run out winners by 3 or 4. At it was, we conceded an unfortunate penalty and the game evened out for the last 15 minutes and it felt more of a relief that we got the win at the end.

Bristol City was the exception in that we stepped up from the 70 minute mark, started being positive on the ball, creating chances, and a momentum built towards the eventual winning goal.

Id like to see the side play without that perceived handbrake being on- whether it is actually there because its MMs natural caution, or just that the teams fragile confidence plays a part in that when we get into a winning position. Putting the cup to one side, if we had finished in a strong fashion in each of our last three games, it gives a good platform to start the next one too.

Part of the problem at the moment is that we lack top quality midfield replacements to come off the bench and keep up the impetus.

Douglas (instead of Dozzell) for Bru at QPR was an outright error, IMO, but after Ward came on yesterday, there was no-one else.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:48 - Jan 15 with 3164 viewsTrequartista

Let's wait until we get 2 wins in a row before we get carried away with turning points

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:51 - Jan 15 with 3155 viewsJ2BLUE

How much of it was a sense of relief at the threat of relegation being all but killed off? If we had lost we'd be 4 points clear. The win puts us 10 clear. I know people bang on about the coming fixtures but i'm sure we'll pick up a few points. How many months of the fixture list actually look easy? Not many and the easier looking months are often poor results wise. Not saying we're 100% safe but to blow it from here would be something special. Blackburn need to make up 0.5 points per game remaining on us now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:58 - Jan 15 with 3124 viewsHerbivore

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:51 - Jan 15 by J2BLUE

How much of it was a sense of relief at the threat of relegation being all but killed off? If we had lost we'd be 4 points clear. The win puts us 10 clear. I know people bang on about the coming fixtures but i'm sure we'll pick up a few points. How many months of the fixture list actually look easy? Not many and the easier looking months are often poor results wise. Not saying we're 100% safe but to blow it from here would be something special. Blackburn need to make up 0.5 points per game remaining on us now.

We'd still have been 6 points clear of the bottom 3 had we lost, but it definitely feels much nicer to be 10 points clear.

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 15:00 - Jan 15 with 3103 viewsJ2BLUE

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 14:58 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

We'd still have been 6 points clear of the bottom 3 had we lost, but it definitely feels much nicer to be 10 points clear.

Good point, I didn't even look at Burton.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 15:16 - Jan 15 with 3057 viewscrunchie1978

It would take a lot more than that...might of been a different story if Bart hadn't of pulled off that brilliant save in the first half...it was a ground out victory which I'm afraid under the current regime is all we can hope for......and we won't kill off teams until we sign a goalscorer.....thank God for tom Lawrence.
Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 15:20 - Jan 15 with 3014 viewsHerbivore

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 15:16 - Jan 15 by crunchie1978

It would take a lot more than that...might of been a different story if Bart hadn't of pulled off that brilliant save in the first half...it was a ground out victory which I'm afraid under the current regime is all we can hope for......and we won't kill off teams until we sign a goalscorer.....thank God for tom Lawrence.

I'm going to assume you weren't at the game or you're trolling.

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 15:21 - Jan 15 with 3007 viewsSmellyCat

Didn't yesterday feel like a turning point? on 15:16 - Jan 15 by crunchie1978

'Have'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024