Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formation last night 07:40 - Jan 18 with 1582 viewsDubtractor

5 defenders
2 holding midfielders
1 up front

Against a team 3 divisions below us.

Is it any wonder we were on back foot all game?

Yeah, I know, wing backs, but they didn't play as wing backs did they?

Still in shock at just how bad it was.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Formation last night on 07:57 - Jan 18 with 1522 viewsPinewoodblue

Spot on. To be honest I think every other Chsmpionship side would have cruised through agsinst Lincoln as would most of Div 1 sides

Mick just got it wrong from start to finish. The team was poorly prepared, didn't seem to know what was required of them. You got the impression some of them are going to drift through the rest of the season and don't want to be here, but they will still get a start.

Doubt we will go down but there isn't going to be a club left if Mick stays.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Formation last night on 07:57 - Jan 18 with 1520 viewsmikeybloo88

Yes, Mick rages at his players for letting him down but he sets them up and motivates them (or not). Not his fault that Douglas and Skuse couldn't pass a ball 10 yards, but he bought them, picks them all season, he trains them, he gives them their playing philosophy, he should know if they can handle it. He is to blame. End off...and he has to go
Formation last night on 08:02 - Jan 18 with 1486 viewsmos

To be fair,
The wing backs played alright. And were attacking enough.

But we lacked in central midfield, which made every position on the pitch look bad.

I suppose the fullbacks could've done a bit more. But not the ones to blame. Although, everyone should hang their hands in shame.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Formation last night on 08:10 - Jan 18 with 1432 viewsmikeybloo88

Formation last night on 08:02 - Jan 18 by mos

To be fair,

But we lacked in central midfield, which made every position on the pitch look bad.

I suppose the fullbacks could've done a bit more. But not the ones to blame. Although, everyone should hang their hands in shame.

Gerks, Emmanuel, Knudsen and Lawrence (last free kick not withstanding) were the only players to come out with any credit
Formation last night on 08:12 - Jan 18 with 1418 viewsDubtractor

Formation last night on 08:02 - Jan 18 by mos

To be fair,

Buy they were no more attacking than a normal full back.

That's the point.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Formation last night on 08:16 - Jan 18 with 1399 viewsbournemouthblue

The line up was wrong for the formation, I'd also say it was the wrong formation for the opposition. Their strength is getting the ball wide and whipping it in, at least with a more conventional formation we'd have doubled up on their wide men?

The fact he didn't look to change it at half-time was a real concern also, when something isn't working you have to at least alter it?

Leon Best is what he is but he had a hopeless task night night with very little support at all. If you're going to play him, you need runners around him. We appeared to have none.

It was a tactical horror show from McCarthy. You do wonder given his cup record that there is some sabotage going on.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Formation last night on 08:17 - Jan 18 with 1380 viewsmikeybloo88

Formation last night on 08:12 - Jan 18 by Dubtractor

Buy they were no more attacking than a normal full back.

That's the point.

True...did either get to the byline and get a dangerous cross in? We couldn't pass well enough to get them in a decent position all night
Formation last night on 08:25 - Jan 18 with 1351 viewsLankHenners

I did worry with that formation if we'd be pegged back to 532 as opposed to 352 against a good opposition but not to Lincoln, no disrespect to them.

Like the first game they just did all the simple stuff far better than we did. Mick went out there with a poor mentality and it transpired on the pitch, none of the players, bar Lawrence and Emmanuel, seemed up for it at all.

He just really doesn't care about the cup and it's one thing I've never liked about him since he's been here.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Formation last night on 08:29 - Jan 18 with 1321 viewsRadlett_blue

Formation last night on 08:16 - Jan 18 by bournemouthblue

The line up was wrong for the formation, I'd also say it was the wrong formation for the opposition. Their strength is getting the ball wide and whipping it in, at least with a more conventional formation we'd have doubled up on their wide men?

The fact he didn't look to change it at half-time was a real concern also, when something isn't working you have to at least alter it?

Leon Best is what he is but he had a hopeless task night night with very little support at all. If you're going to play him, you need runners around him. We appeared to have none.

It was a tactical horror show from McCarthy. You do wonder given his cup record that there is some sabotage going on.

Absolutely. We started with a 3-5-2, but after a promising first 5 minutes, Lincoln played a strong pressing game & it rapidly became a 5-3-2. That meant zero width or outlet so we were reduced to aimless punts upfield. I was amazed Mick didn't change it at half time. I would have brought on Sears to play up front with Best & gone 4-4-2, moving Lawrence to play wide & removing Emanuel or Ward. Mick should have known what to expect from Lincoln after the first game, but we lost every 50/50 & most of the 2nd balls. The 2nd half continued in the same vein, although Emanuel in particular did find more space to get forward as the half moved on.It was ironic that the goal came from a breakaway after a poor Town set piece as Lincoln seemed to have run out of steam near the end.
I can see why Mick left Dozzell on the bench for what was sure too be a physical game; Bru for Douglas at half time or in the 2nd half would also have made more sense to me.
I don't think the team is helped by having regular starters Berra & Chambers, both of whose Town futures are very uncertain. However, I wouldn't fire mick now as I don't think we'll go down. Evans would only replace him with another Championship fire-fighter; more short termism would ensue. But please Evans, get rid of Mick in the summer. If he sees out his contract as a dead man walking, I dread what next season might bring.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Formation last night on 08:42 - Jan 18 with 1273 viewsBluebell

I think what annoyed me was that Lincoln knew Lawrence was our danger man so had three defenders on him the whole time.

That left 2 of our players undefended. So how come we still couldn't string 2 passes together?

Playing 3 at the back was madness. We certainly missed Webster (through no fault of Mick) but Berra was useless and Leon Best could have stayed at home.

Why didn't Mick change it round after 45 minutes, when we all saw what was happening, and gone to 4-4-2? With Sears and Bru on the bench, Leon Best and Douglas should have been taken off, Emmanual moved to right back and have Ward and Knudsen on with wings with Lawrence and Sears up front and Bru and Skuse in the middle.
Formation last night on 08:45 - Jan 18 with 1243 viewstaximan

Formation last night on 08:42 - Jan 18 by Bluebell

I think what annoyed me was that Lincoln knew Lawrence was our danger man so had three defenders on him the whole time.

That left 2 of our players undefended. So how come we still couldn't string 2 passes together?

Playing 3 at the back was madness. We certainly missed Webster (through no fault of Mick) but Berra was useless and Leon Best could have stayed at home.

Why didn't Mick change it round after 45 minutes, when we all saw what was happening, and gone to 4-4-2? With Sears and Bru on the bench, Leon Best and Douglas should have been taken off, Emmanual moved to right back and have Ward and Knudsen on with wings with Lawrence and Sears up front and Bru and Skuse in the middle.

crikey

and i suppose you know the offside rule as well !!!!!
Formation last night on 08:58 - Jan 18 with 1190 viewssoupytwist

Formation last night on 08:10 - Jan 18 by mikeybloo88

Gerks, Emmanuel, Knudsen and Lawrence (last free kick not withstanding) were the only players to come out with any credit

I'd say that Digby and Chambers weren't too bad either.

I think I'd have switched to 4 4 2 by taking Berra off, going with those two as centre halves and Emmanuel right back. And then any of our disfunctional midfield could have been replaced with Bru/Dozzell. All we needed was the ability to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds at a time.
Formation last night on 09:06 - Jan 18 with 1150 viewsBluebell

Formation last night on 08:45 - Jan 18 by taximan

crikey

and i suppose you know the offside rule as well !!!!!

Surprisingly yes!

I will get back to the kitchen now.
Formation last night on 09:16 - Jan 18 with 1097 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Our only hope of scoring was a world class goal from Lawrence. We didn't create a single chance.
Formation last night on 10:15 - Jan 18 with 993 viewsPinewoodblue

Formation last night on 09:16 - Jan 18 by PrideOfTheEast

Our only hope of scoring was a world class goal from Lawrence. We didn't create a single chance.

we had shots on target!

2023 year of destiny

Formation last night on 10:18 - Jan 18 with 971 viewschicoazul

Formation last night on 08:16 - Jan 18 by bournemouthblue

I agree, if this is what you are saying, that he clearly doesnt give a toss about the Cup.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Formation last night on 10:23 - Jan 18 with 936 viewsOsborneOneNil

Formation last night on 10:15 - Jan 18 by Pinewoodblue

we had shots on target!

Formation last night on 10:25 - Jan 18 with 918 viewsPinewoodblue

Formation last night on 10:23 - Jan 18 by OsborneOneNil

Yes can't remember any in the second half. I was however responding to an individual who claimed we didn't create any chances.

2023 year of destiny

Formation last night (n/t) on 10:27 - Jan 18 with 910 viewscaught-in-limbo

[Post edited 18 Jan 2017 10:29]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Formation last night on 10:28 - Jan 18 with 898 viewscaught-in-limbo

There was no formation, but there were 3 standing in front of the goal, 1 on the right occasionally making it to the half way line, 1 taking throw ins, 2 or 3 holograms in the middle, 1 taking set pieces and 1 with a comedy adjective written on the back of his shirt.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Formation last night on 10:29 - Jan 18 with 890 viewsRadlett_blue

Formation last night on 10:25 - Jan 18 by Pinewoodblue

Yes can't remember any in the second half. I was however responding to an individual who claimed we didn't create any chances.

Lawrence had a reasonable effort in the first half & Kenlock in the 2nd. Both fairly comfortable saves, even for their rather suspect looking 'keeper. That's all I can recall.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Formation last night on 11:17 - Jan 18 with 800 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Formation last night on 10:25 - Jan 18 by Pinewoodblue

Were either of those chances? Perhaps Lawrence's, but as I said, that would have been quite a goal and was not created by anything we did (it was a misplaced pass). We didn't create a chance in my opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024