Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... 09:22 - Jan 19 with 2892 viewsitfcjoe

....is that in reality it is an average season.

Club who's wage bill in lower mid-table (13th-17th or thereabouts) in the Championship are likely to finish in this range. Especially if they don't spend on transfers.

Unless something fundamental changes to the club, then we may as well get used to this.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:25 - Jan 19 with 2391 viewsGeoffSentence

Our league position is currently in the bounds of acceptability. Whether it still is by the end of a very tough February will be the crunch point I think.

However, the mediocre league position, combined with remarkably inconsistent form, largely poor football, generally diabolical tactics all topped off with Tuesday night's embarrassment is plenty to get people ticked off.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:26 - Jan 19 with 2380 viewshype313

Remember how excited everyone was when Evans arrived, fast forward 9 years...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:27 - Jan 19 with 2365 viewsBent_double

I can handle a 12th place finish, as long as the team actually plays decent football!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:28 - Jan 19 with 2363 viewsBobbychase

Spot on. Reading the forum since Lincoln it's like we're losing every week when in fact we tend to win one in every three games and keep our heads above water. Does feel like a crossroads for the club though.

Getting a bit tired of personal abuse aimed at Mick and Chambers etc. There are some pretty childish memes doing the rounds on Facebook. It may be time for him to go but he's done plenty for this club and deserves a bit more respect.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:29 - Jan 19 with 2358 viewsm14_blue

It's not the league position that's the problem so much as the appalling football.

I don't demand promotion but I do want to see Ipswich players who can pass the ball to each other and a team that shows some attacking intent in every game.

I watch football to have fun, watching this side isn't fun at all.
Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:30 - Jan 19 with 2346 viewshoppy

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:26 - Jan 19 by hype313

Remember how excited everyone was when Evans arrived, fast forward 9 years...

There were some larging it at the time, along the lines of...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:33 - Jan 19 with 2318 viewsbluesym

its the 2 early cup exits to 'awful' teams that makes it worse than average season.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:45 - Jan 19 with 2259 viewsSWGF

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:28 - Jan 19 by Bobbychase

Spot on. Reading the forum since Lincoln it's like we're losing every week when in fact we tend to win one in every three games and keep our heads above water. Does feel like a crossroads for the club though.

Getting a bit tired of personal abuse aimed at Mick and Chambers etc. There are some pretty childish memes doing the rounds on Facebook. It may be time for him to go but he's done plenty for this club and deserves a bit more respect.

100% agree on any personal abuse. McCarthy has done more for this club than any manager for MANY years and deserves respect.

That said, he's had his time, IMO. The awful performances are now the norm rather than the exception. The half-decent performances becoming more rare.

February could be the killer.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:47 - Jan 19 with 2249 viewsKieran_Knows

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:45 - Jan 19 by SWGF

100% agree on any personal abuse. McCarthy has done more for this club than any manager for MANY years and deserves respect.

That said, he's had his time, IMO. The awful performances are now the norm rather than the exception. The half-decent performances becoming more rare.

February could be the killer.

Be a good laugh if we win 3 and draw 2 of those games in February whilst playing good football though.....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:48 - Jan 19 with 2228 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:47 - Jan 19 by Kieran_Knows

Be a good laugh if we win 3 and draw 2 of those games in February whilst playing good football though.....

Here's hoping.

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:49 - Jan 19 with 2218 viewsKieran_Knows

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:48 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Here's hoping.

Very much so!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:48 - Jan 19 with 2026 viewsGuthrum

Since the start of November, we have been accruing an average of 1.45 points per game, only a fraction below last season's overall figure (1.50) and 2013-14 (1.48). So we're probably back to doing slightly better than mid-table, League position only hindered by that spell in late September and early October.

The worrying thing is that when the team collapses, it does so completely - practically every other game.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:49 - Jan 19 with 2003 viewsSwansea_Blue

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:25 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

Our league position is currently in the bounds of acceptability. Whether it still is by the end of a very tough February will be the crunch point I think.

However, the mediocre league position, combined with remarkably inconsistent form, largely poor football, generally diabolical tactics all topped off with Tuesday night's embarrassment is plenty to get people ticked off.

Woah! Depends how you define acceptability.

If ME came out and he said his goal was for us to finish 12th-18th every season he'd get lynched.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:56 - Jan 19 with 1953 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 09:29 - Jan 19 by m14_blue

It's not the league position that's the problem so much as the appalling football.

I don't demand promotion but I do want to see Ipswich players who can pass the ball to each other and a team that shows some attacking intent in every game.

I watch football to have fun, watching this side isn't fun at all.

But the style was fine 2 years ago when we finished 6th, so in reality it is the league position that's the problem (for most at least)
[Post edited 19 Jan 2017 13:56]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:58 - Jan 19 with 1928 viewsBackToRussia

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:56 - Jan 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

But the style was fine 2 years ago when we finished 6th, so in reality it is the league position that's the problem (for most at least)

We've abandoned that style now Murphy has gone and have not found a new one. We're muddling half way in between that style and a new one, and coming up with nothing. Interesting that external critics vs Lincoln concentrated on how we just had no gameplan, no way of playing, offered nothing.

Of course all the talk has been of passing more, playing from the back, but I don't think MM or the players really believe they can achieve this.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:59 - Jan 19 with 1915 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:48 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Since the start of November, we have been accruing an average of 1.45 points per game, only a fraction below last season's overall figure (1.50) and 2013-14 (1.48). So we're probably back to doing slightly better than mid-table, League position only hindered by that spell in late September and early October.

The worrying thing is that when the team collapses, it does so completely - practically every other game.

None of those average points per games are as good as when we had ALB in the sticks for us. Did you know that in the 38 games he played for us we averaged 1.58 points per game?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:00 - Jan 19 with 1906 viewsimsureazzure

We are in real danger of not getting knocked out of the cup in the 3rd round next season.
Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:01 - Jan 19 with 1894 viewsSwansea_Blue

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:56 - Jan 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I beg to differ. We'd punt long and rely on Murph creating and finishing his own chances more often than not. I remember finding us very underwhelming that season (most of my matches were on the road though, so I don't know whether there was a home v away difference). But we were largely dreadful as far as watchability goes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:02 - Jan 19 with 1884 viewsGuthrum

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 13:59 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

None of those average points per games are as good as when we had ALB in the sticks for us. Did you know that in the 38 games he played for us we averaged 1.58 points per game?

I always thought he was better than his popular reputation suggested.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:02 - Jan 19 with 1873 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:02 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

I always thought he was better than his popular reputation suggested.

He was.

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:10 - Jan 19 with 1833 viewsm14_blue

I'm wasn't talking about any particular style, I'm not some footballing purist demanding we play 'The Ipswich Way'.

However, if you think that current performances are the same as 2 years ago then I would respectfully disagree. Of course, everyone would rather we were higher in the league but the amount of vitriol is down to the dross being served up, it's really hard to watch at the moment.
Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:44 - Jan 19 with 1763 viewscruncher

Why are people shocked saw this coming last season when we struggled in the last few games.
Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:47 - Jan 19 with 1738 viewsartsbossbeard

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:44 - Jan 19 by cruncher

Why are people shocked saw this coming last season when we struggled in the last few games.

Who is shocked by this?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:49 - Jan 19 with 1730 viewscruncher

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:47 - Jan 19 by artsbossbeard

Who is shocked by this?

Surely the bulk of the board who predicted a top half /6 finish are.
Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:49 - Jan 19 with 1721 viewsRadlett_blue

Worst thing about this 'terrible' season... on 14:01 - Jan 19 by Swansea_Blue

I beg to differ. We'd punt long and rely on Murph creating and finishing his own chances more often than not. I remember finding us very underwhelming that season (most of my matches were on the road though, so I don't know whether there was a home v away difference). But we were largely dreadful as far as watchability goes.

have to agree. We weren't playing great football, but played a more aggressive, pressing game & were good at grinding out results. As Mick correctly said, he didn't hear too many complaints about the style of football because it was successful.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024