Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need 23:29 - Jan 19 with 2356 viewsitfcpaul

Who else would have done as good a job as MM with the lack of transfer funds and injuries he has had?

Name me one person if you can

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 12:06 - Jan 20 with 649 viewsitfcjoe

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:55 - Jan 20 by monty_radio

Yet it feels just as bad as lf were in the relegation scrap because of the prevailing negativity - and I'm not one of the virtuous here, talking about that other lot. It's the lack of entertainment generally: the directionless feel (both from the top and when we have the ball in midfield); players consistently playing as strangers to one another; the quality of plyers pushing for a place- regarding which, as an U23 watcher, I share Mick's obvious uncertainty.

And, in an age where presentation is all, the comments proceeding from on high that range from patronising, aggressive, defensive, self-aggrandising to the current mea culpa despair.

They are my views on it too - I don't understand why people are crying out for youngsters when Dozzell, Emmanuel and Kenlock are all regularly appearing now and there are players like (without being harsh) Pat Webber on the bench who are miles from being ready.

Our U23s are getting there, and they have some prospects but they are a long way off where they need to be in most cases.

The lack of entertainment has been a big factor, and relatively poor home record - but does fell that Mick can't win any more. Every defeat sees fans calling for his head, no matter how we've played. Hopefully a couple of positive results on the road in the next week will help things - chances are we'll get a good result and follow it up with a poor one though!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 12:09 - Jan 20 with 646 viewsITFCBlues

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:50 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

As i posted in another thread, i could equally pull up stats from clubs who have been relegated or languish in mid table whilst receiving parachute payments.

I think stating that these clubs have double the wage bill is speculative and i'd challenge whether Bournemouth or Watford had that in 14/15 or Reading this year. The other point of note is that most of these clubs listed are actually bigger clubs than us so its a given they'll have larger budgets, that's always been the case, its not a new phenomenon.

More money gives you more choices as does anything in life but it doesn't guarantee or dictate where you finish in a season. Countless teams over the decades have been competitive without being the wealthiest. Our history is testament to that.

Reading just spent £3.75m on a player — when was the last time we done that.

What your saying is that you expect us to over achieve every single season despite more and more clubs having bigger budgets than us year in year out?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 12:33 - Jan 20 with 626 viewsLeoMuff

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:33 - Jan 20 by DoobDude

7th last year completely flattered us.
Nothing between us and 16th last season, we just won a few meaningless games at the end.

I'm currently not interested in promotion, just a new forward thinking manager prepared to blood the youth, play entertaining football and give us hope.

Now to find this person we need to take a chance, gamble on an upcoming manager or maybe scout for one around Europe. It may go wrong but what is the alternative? Another 5 years bumbling around in this division making short-term signings to get us through the season?

But it's all fantasy whilst we are owned by Evans.

7th flattered us Ffs, I suppose 6th the year before did as well.

People are so desperate to re write history.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 13:10 - Jan 20 with 604 viewsGuthrum

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:50 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

As i posted in another thread, i could equally pull up stats from clubs who have been relegated or languish in mid table whilst receiving parachute payments.

I think stating that these clubs have double the wage bill is speculative and i'd challenge whether Bournemouth or Watford had that in 14/15 or Reading this year. The other point of note is that most of these clubs listed are actually bigger clubs than us so its a given they'll have larger budgets, that's always been the case, its not a new phenomenon.

More money gives you more choices as does anything in life but it doesn't guarantee or dictate where you finish in a season. Countless teams over the decades have been competitive without being the wealthiest. Our history is testament to that.

Making a mess of it despite having major financial resources is relatively easy - poor purchases, wasting money and concentrating more on that than building a team (plus hiring big-name but distinctly average managers).

Creating success without that advantage is a lot harder - having to search for potential which has been overlooked by others, going way down the leagues, persuading Prem clubs to part with still-decent fringe players on loan, sheer lack of quality in numbers when hit by injuries.

And talking of history back before the money explosion of the late '90s is not really relevant to today. A time when a club's purchasing power was based more on crowd size than TV income, transfer windows had not been invented, subs benches (and thus squad sizes) were smaller and, going back a bit further, you had situations where a club might sign only a dozen senior players in a whole decade (Huddersfield have signed that many since May).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 13:36 - Jan 20 with 579 viewsKeaneish

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 12:09 - Jan 20 by ITFCBlues

Reading just spent £3.75m on a player — when was the last time we done that.

What your saying is that you expect us to over achieve every single season despite more and more clubs having bigger budgets than us year in year out?

No, that's not what i said at all, i said that big budgets don't guarantee you come higher up the league, there's a world of difference.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 14:57 - Jan 20 with 552 viewsKeaneish

Micks not going anywhere. he's what we need on 11:59 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Clubs doing badly with poor management and parachute payments aren't the problem, whilst that happens it isn't particularly relevant as the rates go up and up it makes things much easier

2014-15 wage bills

Watfords was 40% higher than ours, but doesn't take into account that they can bring loan players in from across their group at fractions of the cost.

Our wage bill in 15/16 was £16.57m ( http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/ipswich-town-financial-highlights-201 Reading's was £30.8m ( http://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/sport/15026709.Reading_FC__Royals_debt_rises_to__ I see no reason why this would have changed substantially away from that ration.

Money doesn't guarantee success, but it makes it much easier - if we had an extra £5m in the wage bill, and a further 5 or 6 players earning similar to the likes of Berra, Skuse, Chambers etc (i.e. our top earners) then we wouldn't have such a thin squad.

The difference in budgets is so key - the odd club will over perform - us, Brentford and Huddersfield are 3 recent examples - but you aren't going to consistently do it because you get a season like this one - when you lose a key player, when you suffer injuries at key times to key players.

If you look at these wage bills compared to where each one of the clubs finished that season its completely inconclusive. 2 of the top 6 largest budgets finished in the top 6. 3 of the bottom 6 with the lowest budgets finished in the bottom 3.

We could equally say that Watford and Middlesborough as well as us and Brentford overachieved that season given that Watford and Middlesborough were half way down the annual wage budget list.

I disagree that sides can't consistently do it. If the infrastructure is right, the approach and mentality to each game is a good one as well as the right competition throughout the squad and the right blend of youth and experience, it can be done. In our instance though, i'm more concerned about complacency than I am strength in depth and the wage bill.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024