Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caretaker manager.... 07:10 - Mar 20 with 3194 viewsitfcjoe

I think one of the most obvious things as to why Mick won't go before end of year, is that there is no one in the staff capable of stepping up to be a caretaker manager...

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Caretaker manager.... on 09:36 - Mar 20 with 993 viewsSuperfrans

Caretaker manager.... on 08:42 - Mar 20 by Steve_M

I don't know the answer to that one, it's possible that scenario unfolds and would certainly put us firmly in the brown stuff. In all likelihood, the same thing still applies - no-one Evans would bring in in the short-term would be an improvement and the impasse could be worse.

MM certainly needs to be a bit braver in those two, although we started ok against Brentford but got forced back by them being so much better at controlling the way the game was played. Two weeks to get working on a few changes to formation, get everyone refreshed and ready for those two games now.

You say McCarthy needs to be braver, but if we lose McGoldrick and Lawrence to injury, and given the current form of our strikers, is there not an argument for us playing it safe, grinding out 8 draws in our final eight games and likely securing safety that way?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Caretaker manager.... on 09:43 - Mar 20 with 984 viewsSteve_M

Caretaker manager.... on 09:36 - Mar 20 by Superfrans

You say McCarthy needs to be braver, but if we lose McGoldrick and Lawrence to injury, and given the current form of our strikers, is there not an argument for us playing it safe, grinding out 8 draws in our final eight games and likely securing safety that way?

Actually, I think the McGoldrick/Lawrence front two is one of our problems at the moment, both want to drop off - especially if the midfield are too deep - and it keeps us too far away from the opposition area. Yes, when they do link up the game improves massively but they haven't done it a lot.

Sears was very good against Leeds until he tired in the second half, yet has hardly played in the last three matches.

I don't mean throwing everything out but something like:

Bart
Chambers Berra Knudsen
Spence Kenlock
Ward Skuse Huws
McGoldrick Sears

has much better balance. Swap McGoldrick for Lawrence if McG is seriously injured.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Caretaker manager.... on 09:46 - Mar 20 with 963 viewsPinewoodblue

Caretaker manager.... on 09:43 - Mar 20 by Steve_M

Actually, I think the McGoldrick/Lawrence front two is one of our problems at the moment, both want to drop off - especially if the midfield are too deep - and it keeps us too far away from the opposition area. Yes, when they do link up the game improves massively but they haven't done it a lot.

Sears was very good against Leeds until he tired in the second half, yet has hardly played in the last three matches.

Bart
Chambers Berra Knudsen
Spence Kenlock
Ward Skuse Huws
McGoldrick Sears

has much better balance. Swap McGoldrick for Lawrence if McG is seriously injured.

Trouble is Mick says we are in a scrap so you can forget any idea if us playing attractive football

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Caretaker manager.... on 09:48 - Mar 20 with 957 viewsWestSussexBlue

Would love to see GB back if only for the last 3/4 games also advise Evans which sort of manager we should be looking at.
Caretaker manager.... on 09:48 - Mar 20 with 956 viewsbournemouthblue

Caretaker manager.... on 09:07 - Mar 20 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Would Dyer step up? Is he still in charge of the under 16s? The last I heard he was also doing his coaching badges and harbors ambitions of managing the Town.

As you say though, there is no one really obvious and probably one of the reasons Evans is not pulling the trigger.

How is Fabian Wilnis getting on with management nowadays?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Caretaker manager.... on 09:49 - Mar 20 with 950 viewsSuperfrans

Bart
Chambers Berra Knudsen
Spence Kenlock
Ward Skuse Huws
McGoldrick Sears

I'd like us to throw Rowe in there too. See what he can do.

If all fit, I'd like to see this:

Bart
Spence Chambers Berra Kenlock
Ward Skuse Huws Rowe
McGoldrick Lawrence

Caretaker manager.... on 09:51 - Mar 20 with 943 viewsSuperfrans

Caretaker manager.... on 09:48 - Mar 20 by bournemouthblue

How is Fabian Wilnis getting on with management nowadays?

I'm assuming this is a joke.

We don't need a former Town player with no managerial experience. That would be catastrophic.

Caretaker manager.... on 09:52 - Mar 20 with 936 viewsKieran_Knows

Caretaker manager.... on 09:46 - Mar 20 by Pinewoodblue

Trouble is Mick says we are in a scrap so you can forget any idea if us playing attractive football

To be honest, I don't give 2 sh*ts about attractive football anymore. If it takes 2/3 1-0 backs to wall, grind out the result type wins, i'll take it, just to stay in this division.

If we go down, it'll be a catastrophe in my opinion. I genuinely couldn't see us coming back up for some years yet (ala Sheffield United).

I just want us mathematically safe, then Mick can go.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Caretaker manager.... on 09:57 - Mar 20 with 923 viewsPinewoodblue

Caretaker manager.... on 09:52 - Mar 20 by Kieran_Knows

To be honest, I don't give 2 sh*ts about attractive football anymore. If it takes 2/3 1-0 backs to wall, grind out the result type wins, i'll take it, just to stay in this division.

If we go down, it'll be a catastrophe in my opinion. I genuinely couldn't see us coming back up for some years yet (ala Sheffield United).

I just want us mathematically safe, then Mick can go.

No way would Mick go before we are safe. The shame of a caretaker manager keeping us up would be too much for him.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Caretaker manager.... on 10:02 - Mar 20 with 911 viewsbrazil1982

GB and TB for a few matches - you can imagine the buzz around the place.
Caretaker manager.... on 10:04 - Mar 20 with 909 viewsClausThomsen

Bart
Chambers Berra Knudsen
Spence Kenlock
Ward Skuse Huws
McGoldrick Sears

It'll be Chambers, Berra and Smith as the back 3 pumping it long to Sears/Pitman/Lawrence, and McCarthy having no idea why we created more chances and played much better with a back 3 of Spence, Chambers and Knudsen.

Regarding Sears, he's been very unlucky to not play as he looked like his old self again recently. Hopefully he gets a run up front between now and the end of the season. Secretly, he must be hoping for a new manager and a fresh start (in his correct position)

Weird that Lawrence has been playing as a striker, surely he's the perfect option to play alongside Skuse and Toums in a 3 with that shot on him (and that we have perfectly decent strikers on the books not playing).

But the square peggage won't stop until the head is cut from the beast. Which should have happened <yawn> after Lincoln.
Caretaker manager.... on 10:15 - Mar 20 with 894 viewsHerbivore

Caretaker manager.... on 09:57 - Mar 20 by Pinewoodblue

No way would Mick go before we are safe. The shame of a caretaker manager keeping us up would be too much for him.

Yeah, I'm sure that's his thinking.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Caretaker manager.... on 10:24 - Mar 20 with 880 viewshoppy

Caretaker manager.... on 10:02 - Mar 20 by brazil1982

GB and TB for a few matches - you can imagine the buzz around the place.

ToiletBloo?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Caretaker manager.... on 10:33 - Mar 20 with 864 viewsnbsiyag

Mick Mills has seen plenty of our matches and makes his views known to everyone?
Caretaker manager.... on 10:59 - Mar 20 with 829 viewsfactual_blue

Caretaker manager.... on 10:24 - Mar 20 by hoppy

ToiletBloo?

With Glassers? A toxic mix, with An Agenda.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Caretaker manager.... on 11:33 - Mar 20 with 810 viewsGuthrum

Personally can't see McCarthy leaving before we're mathematically safe, at the earliest. And we're not in such a dire position that it's imperative he's sacked now to avoid the drop.

While getting someone like Burley in as a caretaker might create a brief burst of feelgood factor in some sectors of the support, he would barely have the chance to achieve anything, would run the risk of being carried away in a disaster, the disruption could prove fatal and it would be a fairly naked excercise in tokenism by the club.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Caretaker manager.... on 11:48 - Mar 20 with 782 viewsJ2BLUE

I must admit if it was my call to make then MM would stay in charge until we're safe or down.

I trust him to keep us up. IMO we need about a point per game to be safe. I wouldn't be so confident of getting that if he was sacked now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Caretaker manager.... on 13:13 - Mar 20 with 747 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Caretaker manager.... on 07:23 - Mar 20 by Steve_M

Indeed, I had a discussion on Twitter with Olimar and a few others on this point yesterday; were MM to be sacked now we would risk repeating the Wolves relegation of 2012.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/wolverhampton-wanderers/2011-2012/results

McCarthy was sacked after the 5-1 defeat to West Brom, a match in which Wolves were abysmal, but they then picked up four points from thirteen games.

TC probably wouldn't do it again after that even if asked, Klug didn't make any sort of step up under Magilton so unless Milne decides to hit the training pitch there aren't any real options.

I think we do clearly need a change of manager before next season, along with lots of other things we probably won't get, but the best way to ensure we stay up this season is to keep things as they are for now.

I was working at the Wolves v WBA game, one of the most poisonous atmospheres I had encountered up to that point and indeed since.

The final whistle was followed by a very large (and vocal) demonstration against Jez Moxey at the directors entrance, which ultimately probably caused the board to pull the trigger on MM.

TC was a poor choice, and wasn't really equipped for management.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Caretaker manager.... on 13:35 - Mar 20 with 723 viewsbluewein

Avram Grant.

(Although massivly tongue in cheek, I think I just made myself shudder.)

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Caretaker manager.... on 15:13 - Mar 20 with 675 viewsRegencyBlue

Caretaker manager.... on 08:29 - Mar 20 by bluehook

Give it to Milne. He clearly has a footballing brain, and it'd save on the wages.
God knows he seems to do eff all else.

Woah!

Milne has a brain?
Caretaker manager.... on 21:54 - Mar 20 with 608 viewsBluedanW

Caretaker manager.... on 09:13 - Mar 20 by Steve_M

And the other match that week.

I thought the game before was the 7-1 drubbing by Chelsea, and then the game after was jewells first game a 3-1 defeat to Millwall. I went to the arsenal game and the game at the den, but I sold my tickets to the Chelsea game as I had to take the the mrs somewhere that day and thought I better not let her down as been to so many games those last few weeks
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 21:55]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024