Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope 18:32 - Mar 22 with 4090 viewsIllinoisblue

but the prayforlondon hashtag and other trite graphics (no surrender across a British flag) across social media really irritate me.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 21:54 - Mar 22 with 1208 viewsElderGrizzly

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 19:13 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

I'm sure it will a measured and well thought-out response and not a crass rush to judgement.

His son has given it a good go today

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 21:58 - Mar 22 with 1196 viewsRyorry

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 21:52 - Mar 22 by WeWereZombies

But the free will argument that religions use is a bit more nuanced than that, isn't it? God may be omnipotent but if he controlled everything we did to ensure bad things did not happen then we would just be automatons. So our lives are richer because we have rights and duties, however we do not have the perfection of a god so we err when exercising free will.

All very neat but it does not account for the misfortune of one being the benefit of another. In reality we strive to attain a world without evil and assume we have the free will to do so but each of us carries the conditioning of our past and the constraints of the people we live amongst which prevent us from realising a world that benefits all as much as possible.

And then there is the view that god is a technician who, SIM City like, set up some starting conditions and then fecked off and left us to get on with it.

"And then there is the view that god is a technician who, SIM City like, set up some starting conditions and then fecked off and left us to get on with it."

Bit like some on TWTD who start controversial threads & then disappear you mean? ;)
(not a reference to this thread btw!)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 22:17 - Mar 22 with 1161 viewsRyorry

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:46 - Mar 22 by WickhamsLeftBoot

That and the flag profile picture on Facebook really irritate me.

I don't find it any worse than the "cynical cool I'm above all that" tbh.

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 07:59 - Mar 23 with 1100 viewsitfcjoe

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 21:18 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

If there's one right wing w*nkers term I really loathe, it's 'virtue signalling'. Up there with 'do gooder' for sheer sh*twitted wilful, mealy mouthed, ignorance.

I LIKE IT when people do nice things and you hear about it.

I like hearing about nice things too, but genuine nice things that people have made an effort to do.

Not sharing a petition to show how much they care, or a FB post, or changing their profile pic, or RTing something.

Virtue is certainly a good thing.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 09:44 - Mar 23 with 1055 viewsDolly2.0

I would normally agree with you, and certainly do with things like #prayforlondon which is utterly pointless, but I quite like the tube graphic with "We are not afraid" on it. That's an "up yours" to what terrorists want - to cause terror. So I think it sends out a positive message.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 10:01 - Mar 23 with 1039 viewsvapour_trail

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 09:44 - Mar 23 by Dolly2.0

I would normally agree with you, and certainly do with things like #prayforlondon which is utterly pointless, but I quite like the tube graphic with "We are not afraid" on it. That's an "up yours" to what terrorists want - to cause terror. So I think it sends out a positive message.

I'll be honest I cringed when I saw that appear on twitter about fifteen minutes after the attack yesterday.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

on 12:16 - Mar 23 with 997 views_

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 12:56 - Mar 23 with 975 viewsSuperfrans

As you say, it's how some people choose to cope.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 13:09 - Mar 23 with 966 viewsRyorry

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:57 - Mar 22 by J2BLUE

I despise the #prayfor hashtag. Was your god asleep when allowing it to happen and if he can't control what happens why bother praying in the first place?

Don't see the need to knock it tbh - I doubt it was anything whatsoever to do with religion for the vast majority using that hashtag - just an expression of solidarity along "thinking of, and sympathies for, those affected" lines.

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 13:10 - Mar 23 with 962 viewsWeWereZombies

Perhaps cope is the wrong word for those not directly affected, those who only suffer a tentative fear and the need to acknowledge it and that it is tentative have to put that at the back of their minds and continue with their life. And how do you mourn someone you never knew, never knew existed?

http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/europe/2017/03/seeking-solace-wake-westminster-at

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 13:26 - Mar 23 with 947 viewsRyorry

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 13:10 - Mar 23 by WeWereZombies

Perhaps cope is the wrong word for those not directly affected, those who only suffer a tentative fear and the need to acknowledge it and that it is tentative have to put that at the back of their minds and continue with their life. And how do you mourn someone you never knew, never knew existed?

http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/europe/2017/03/seeking-solace-wake-westminster-at

Some of the comments underneath that article are absolutely shocking - apparently unmoderated (even more shocking if they *are* moderated).

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:19 - Mar 23 with 912 viewsWeWereZombies

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 13:26 - Mar 23 by Ryorry

Some of the comments underneath that article are absolutely shocking - apparently unmoderated (even more shocking if they *are* moderated).

Had not clicked on the comments - agreed, makes TWTD seem like a WI coffee morning (well, I assume it does - never been to a WI coffee morning).

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:22 - Mar 23 with 901 viewsMaySixth

totally agree
load of bollo**s

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:28 - Mar 23 with 892 viewsartsbossbeard

What's all this "safe" business on Facebook too?

Saw it a couple of times yesterday - 1 bloke in Farnborough, the other works in the East End.

All a bit mawkish for my liking.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:29 - Mar 23 with 879 viewsGlasgowBlue

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 13:26 - Mar 23 by Ryorry

What do you expect? Al Jazeera is an anti semitic and anti west, biased "news" outlet owned by those lovely homophobic Qataris.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:41 - Mar 23 with 856 viewsWeWereZombies

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:29 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

What do you expect? Al Jazeera is an anti semitic and anti west, biased "news" outlet owned by those lovely homophobic Qataris.

I shouldn't rise to this bait but you do realise Ryorry was condemning the comments from visitors to the page and not the affectionate about London and respectful to those who died piece commissioned by AjJazeera, don't you?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:49 - Mar 23 with 829 viewsGlasgowBlue

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:41 - Mar 23 by WeWereZombies

I shouldn't rise to this bait but you do realise Ryorry was condemning the comments from visitors to the page and not the affectionate about London and respectful to those who died piece commissioned by AjJazeera, don't you?

It isn't bait it is a matter of record.

A site like that is always going to attract comments from people with unsavoury views from both sides of the argument.

Iron Lion Zion

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:52 - Mar 23 with 820 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:28 - Mar 23 by artsbossbeard

What's all this "safe" business on Facebook too?

Saw it a couple of times yesterday - 1 bloke in Farnborough, the other works in the East End.

All a bit mawkish for my liking.

Oh I had a rant on Facebook about that safe malarchy yesterday

I understand if you live/work in London but I was seeing people who live in Romford and go to college in Upminster 'marking themselves safe'.

Bl00dy wronging

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 16:06 - Mar 23 with 794 viewsWeWereZombies

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 15:49 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

It isn't bait it is a matter of record.

A site like that is always going to attract comments from people with unsavoury views from both sides of the argument.

So read the article and ignore the comments, I don't see it as any different as to when people direct me to articles from The Daily Mail or The Huffington Post which also have their fair share of distasteful comments (although in the case of The Daily Mail the comments are likely to be in tune rather than opposing the article). Are the people who contribute to Aljazeera really worse journalists than those who contribute to The Daily Express or Fox News?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 16:10 - Mar 23 with 777 viewsGlasgowBlue

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 16:06 - Mar 23 by WeWereZombies

So read the article and ignore the comments, I don't see it as any different as to when people direct me to articles from The Daily Mail or The Huffington Post which also have their fair share of distasteful comments (although in the case of The Daily Mail the comments are likely to be in tune rather than opposing the article). Are the people who contribute to Aljazeera really worse journalists than those who contribute to The Daily Express or Fox News?

I was addressing Ryorry's post regarding the comments. So it would be very hard to respond to post if I ignored the comments.

Iron Lion Zion

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 16:11 - Mar 23 with 780 viewsWeWereZombies

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 16:10 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

I was addressing Ryorry's post regarding the comments. So it would be very hard to respond to post if I ignored the comments.

What did you think of the article?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:23 - Mar 23 with 744 viewsDolly2.0

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 10:01 - Mar 23 by vapour_trail

I'll be honest I cringed when I saw that appear on twitter about fifteen minutes after the attack yesterday.

Fine, that's you.

Do you live/work in London? I like that we're saying we won't be cowed by terrorism (as the Mayor said) and that everyone's carrying on without fear. This is just a visual representation of it.

"Terrorists are tw@ts" would've been better, but less family friendly.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:33 - Mar 23 with 718 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 16:10 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

GB "What do you expect? Al Jazeera is an anti semitic and anti west, biased "news" outlet owned by those lovely homophobic Qataris. "

You seem to have done a good job of ignoring the comments here !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:46 - Mar 23 with 708 viewsvapour_trail

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:23 - Mar 23 by Dolly2.0

Fine, that's you.

Do you live/work in London? I like that we're saying we won't be cowed by terrorism (as the Mayor said) and that everyone's carrying on without fear. This is just a visual representation of it.

"Terrorists are tw@ts" would've been better, but less family friendly.

Yeah I'm in shoreditch most days. Live down by the coast these days but did firemen years not too far from you dollers.

I just find it a bit vvanky. Horses for courses eh.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 20:01 - Mar 23 with 675 viewsRyorry

it doesn't really matter and I know it's how some people choose to cope on 18:33 - Mar 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

GB "What do you expect? Al Jazeera is an anti semitic and anti west, biased "news" outlet owned by those lovely homophobic Qataris. "

You seem to have done a good job of ignoring the comments here !

Not sure how argument's brewed up (GB knows I have him on ignore) but fwiw -

The paper uses a European site for such blogs
There are European and UK laws on hate speech, which some of the comments contravene
The majority of the comments also contravene the site's own

"Community guidelines". 5. Comments that are racist, sexist, homophobic or otherwise offensive will not be tolerated. There is a difference between criticizing a government, organisation or belief and attacking people because of their race, gender, sexual orientation or religion."

I always read comments underneath online newspaper articles, as I like to know what others are thinking, even when that's not pleasant.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024