Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium Naming Rights 13:15 - Mar 29 with 4893 viewsASAx

Why on earth have we not done this yet?

It's good enough for clubs like Arsenal, Leicester and Stoke in the Premier League, Derby, Huddersfield and Brighton and even teams like Chesterfield and Accrington Stanley in the lower leagues.

I'd personally rather it was kept as Portman Road BUT if we were to get the £500k to £1.25m a year that is reportedly paid to other similarly sized clubs then that can only help. Debry (a much more attractive investment I appreciate) got £7m for a 10 year deal with iPro, which reportedly was £4m up front and then 9 yearly payments of £333k). Realistically, we could be looking at £5m. Half up front to spend on new players would immediately more than double what we've paid for fees over the last 5 years.

Given it would either go to Mick as additional budget, increasing our chances ever so slightly of being successful, or it would offset the losses ME makes, which is seemingly his primary aim at the moment, then why on earth would we not do this?

It cannot be that nobody would be interested. The only possible stumbling block would be supporter unrest or objection, but it's quite clear that that's not a particular concern of the current ownership. As much as it would annoy me, Evans could even rename it after his own company for the going rate if he felt it offered significant value to the naming partner.

For all the things we do wrong, we seem to do stuff like this wrong even more spectacularly. We have the perfect excuse to both appease supporter unrest at a name change ('the funds will go to Mick' or 'We need to offset our losses to keep the playing budget at the current level) and it brings in additional money.

The more I think about it the more bizarre it seems that we don't explore ways of raising revenue like this when it could essentially double what we pay for fees in the summer!
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:25]
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:34 - Mar 29 with 2159 viewstaximan

maybe his ego won't allow for an outsider to buy the naming rights

and maybe it is not financially viable for his lot to stump up extra money to do it

who knows ??
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:35 - Mar 29 with 2160 viewsFixed_It

Well I would show unrest for one! But then, I see it as a symptom of modern football and I hate modern football...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:36 - Mar 29 with 2143 viewsDoobDude

1. The stadium doesn't have a name. Its address just happens to be Portman Road.
2. If Evans could have changed the name to the Marcus Evans Stadium then he would have done. The money he would technically pay for this would save him tax (just like shirt sponsorship).
3. Who cares about the extra money when we now know it doesn't go towards investment. It just pays the annual deficit.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:37 - Mar 29 with 2124 viewstaximan

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:35 - Mar 29 by Fixed_It

Well I would show unrest for one! But then, I see it as a symptom of modern football and I hate modern football...

really ?

would it bother you if portman road became the taximan arena ?
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 with 2117 viewsPJH

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:37 - Mar 29 by taximan

really ?

would it bother you if portman road became the taximan arena ?

It would bother Rommy.
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 with 2111 viewstaximan

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:36 - Mar 29 by DoobDude

1. The stadium doesn't have a name. Its address just happens to be Portman Road.
2. If Evans could have changed the name to the Marcus Evans Stadium then he would have done. The money he would technically pay for this would save him tax (just like shirt sponsorship).
3. Who cares about the extra money when we now know it doesn't go towards investment. It just pays the annual deficit.

why could he not re-name it ?
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 with 2115 viewsJ2BLUE

We don't seem to be able to find a shirt sponsor so I doubt we'll have anyone wanting the buy the naming rights. Maybe if we were top half with a competitive budget so there was the possibility of going up but no one is going to want the rights to an unfashionable team on the way down.

"And now we go to the Burger King, Have it Your Way! Arena"

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 with 2105 viewsBluebell

Would anyone see any of the money though?

I have also wondered why Marcus Evans is on the shirts when he could get it sponsored by someone else and be paid for doing it.

I am sure no-one looks at our shirts and says "Marcus Evans, oh yes I will have to remember that". More like " Who the f*** is Marcus Evans? "
Login to get fewer ads

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:40 - Mar 29 with 2076 viewstaximan

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 by Bluebell

I have also wondered why Marcus Evans is on the shirts when he could get it sponsored by someone else and be paid for doing it.

I am sure no-one looks at our shirts and says "Marcus Evans, oh yes I will have to remember that". More like " Who the f*** is Marcus Evans? "

hence my "ego" reasoning on naming the stadium
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:40 - Mar 29 with 2078 viewsPJH

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:38 - Mar 29 by Bluebell

Wondered why nobody is sponsored by Alice,now I know.
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:44 - Mar 29 with 2052 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:36 - Mar 29 by DoobDude

Blimey.

2) How would it save him tax? One ME group company would pay for the sponsorship, another (ITFC) would receive the same amount as revenue. It would be tax neutral.

3) Of course, the annual deficit grows on a tree doesn't it.

Knock the bloke for raising ticket prices etc, sure. But don't make stuff up. There's really no need.
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:45 - Mar 29 with 2046 viewsDoobDude

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:40 - Mar 29 by taximan

hence my "ego" reasoning on naming the stadium

It's not ego, like most things about Evans it's money.

ITFC pays MEG a theoretical £2m for shirt sponsorship and magically the debt increases and MEG have a lovely "trade debtor" to offset against profits.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:47 - Mar 29 with 2004 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How about AMEX II .......we could do banners and everything !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:50 - Mar 29 with 1981 viewsJ2BLUE

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:45 - Mar 29 by DoobDude

ITFC pays MEG a theoretical £2m for shirt sponsorship and magically the debt increases and MEG have a lovely "trade debtor" to offset against profits.

If Evans can offset losses against profit why doesn't he invest much more and offset even more profit? This would give him a real shot at the Premier League.

I think it's much more likely that he thought it was a sure thing, then things went wrong and now he isn't committed as he was so invest the bare minimum while the club pump out unconvincing propaganda.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:50 - Mar 29 with 1972 viewsPrideOfTheEast

ITFC pays for sponsorship?! Go and have a lie down.
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:52 - Mar 29 with 1954 viewsPJH

Is the idea of shirt sponsorship not that the person/Company with their name on the shirt pay the Club?
Still you appear to always know what you are talking about so I expect that you are right and that all Clubs worldwide spend unnecessary money to have some letters point on their shirts.
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:53 - Mar 29 with 1923 viewsDoobDude

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:50 - Mar 29 by PrideOfTheEast

ITFC pays for sponsorship?! Go and have a lie down.

Oh yeah! I'm off for a lie down.
But the example still works in reverse.

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:54 - Mar 29 with 1917 viewsKilburnBlue

Just speaking for myself here, but if they renamed Portman Road under a different name that would be another slap in the face for me.

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:55 - Mar 29 with 1892 viewstaximan

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:54 - Mar 29 by KilburnBlue

Just speaking for myself here, but if they renamed Portman Road under a different name that would be another slap in the face for me.

why ?
Stadium Naming Rights on 13:56 - Mar 29 with 1890 viewshoppy

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:47 - Mar 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

How about AMEX II .......we could do banners and everything !

AMEX II.... The Return Of The Debt.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:57 - Mar 29 with 1875 viewsCaptainObvious

so we lose another part of the club's soul just for marcus evans to lose £1m less a year? brilliant.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:01 - Mar 29 with 1852 viewsGuthrum

Would it conflict with the naming rights to one of the stands we've already sold to the East of England Co-op?

Would an extra £500k be of any material use? At best, it would likely be used to reduce losses, rather than increasing the squad budget.

With several of those, the stadium namer is linked to the owner (King Power, bet365), main shirt sponsor (Emirates) or even the builder (Huddersfield's ground was the McAlpine Stadium for some years).

Derby's stadium naming deal was cancelled - by the club - last year.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:03 - Mar 29 with 1832 viewsDeano69

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:54 - Mar 29 by KilburnBlue

I would still call it Portman Road regardless, same as the stands are still North and Churchmans, Cobbold and Pioneer in my vocabulary

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Stadium Naming Rights on 14:09 - Mar 29 with 1801 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

There are so many things he could do but

Hasn't or Won't
Stadium Naming Rights on 14:10 - Mar 29 with 1792 viewsBLUEBEAT

Stadium Naming Rights on 13:34 - Mar 29 by taximan

maybe his ego won't allow for an outsider to buy the naming rights

and maybe it is not financially viable for his lot to stump up extra money to do it

who knows ??

I think his ego has a lot to do with it.

For someone who values privacy so highly, he bloody loves smearing his name over everything...

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024