Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Barton 00:13 - Apr 27 with 5073 viewsvapour_trail

What's the board view then, appreciate there's feck all of you here.

Harsh as, I thought.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Joey Barton on 00:37 - Apr 27 with 3675 viewsLankHenners

Potentially his career gone as he'll be 36 when he's served the ban, so yeah, fairly excessive though I agree he needed some form of discipline like that.

He made the good point that the FA etc. seem very happy to have these gambling adverts screamed at you all the time in the field of football and then seem shocked when someone breaks the rules.

Alright, he shouldn't have broken the rules, but considering the number of bets he had on I think he's a bit past the 'likes a flutter every now and then' stage.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Joey Barton on 03:07 - Apr 27 with 3607 viewsTampaBayBlue

I will preface this response by saying that Barton is a pathological idiot but I think he has been hard done by here; It amounts to a 55-60 game ban. Perhaps his past caught up with him here a little, rightly or wrongly.
Joey Barton on 03:33 - Apr 27 with 3598 viewsIllinoisblue

A terrible gambler... loss after loss after loss. 18 months is harsh although as he wasn't punished for his cheating v Lincoln in the cup, fook him.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Joey Barton on 04:54 - Apr 27 with 3583 viewsTLA

Taking this incident in isolation, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It should have been a suspended sentence if he agreed to treatment, considering he says it was an addiction. Effectively ending his career means he has time and money to indulge further, with no restrictions.

If he had bet on games that he could influence, that would be a bigger issue but I don't think he did.
Joey Barton on 06:52 - Apr 27 with 3501 viewswkj

Joey Barton on 04:54 - Apr 27 by TLA

Taking this incident in isolation, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It should have been a suspended sentence if he agreed to treatment, considering he says it was an addiction. Effectively ending his career means he has time and money to indulge further, with no restrictions.

If he had bet on games that he could influence, that would be a bigger issue but I don't think he did.

He did, He put a wager on a few games he was in the starting XI... Also he was issued punishment for betting while in Scotland, so I think they probably took that into account too before handing out the punishment, oh and the fact he's an utter bell end

These were the key bets the FA highlighted according to Barton himself
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 6:55]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Joey Barton on 07:11 - Apr 27 with 3465 viewsMJallday

Joey Barton on 03:07 - Apr 27 by TampaBayBlue

I will preface this response by saying that Barton is a pathological idiot but I think he has been hard done by here; It amounts to a 55-60 game ban. Perhaps his past caught up with him here a little, rightly or wrongly.

lets put aside for the moment that i think he's a terrible terrible person. he clearly has personal issues which are well documented. but lets take this in isolation.

what he's done (amongst other things) is bet on matches which he has had personal influence in.

he tried to justify it by saying "oh i always tried my hardest during those matches and anyone that knows me knows i do" - but actually what he's done is effectively been match fixing. whether he likes it or not, whether he tried to be the best player in the world is irrelevant - he had an influence, no matter how small, and had a financial gain to be made from it.

this is fraud - and match fixing.

if you take that stance - the punishment is not nearly harsh enough - it should have been a life ban from the sport and actually i think the constabulary should be taking an interest

just my opinion - feel free to disagree.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Joey Barton on 07:14 - Apr 27 with 3456 viewsTLA

Joey Barton on 06:52 - Apr 27 by wkj

He did, He put a wager on a few games he was in the starting XI... Also he was issued punishment for betting while in Scotland, so I think they probably took that into account too before handing out the punishment, oh and the fact he's an utter bell end

Fair play - I only caught a bit of the story on Talk Sport and they said none of his 1260 bets on football involved matches he played in. I don't disagree with your character assessment either.
Joey Barton on 07:34 - Apr 27 with 3414 viewspoppiesman

The bloke is a grade A idiot.
No excuse for what he did (cant hide behind the so called claimed addiction illness either) as the rules are very clear and he broke them over a ten year period don't forget.
18 months is about right, and hopefully the ban also includes not being allowed on tv as a pundit. Bad enough with Robbie Savage!
Login to get fewer ads

Joey Barton on 07:49 - Apr 27 with 3381 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Joey Barton on 07:14 - Apr 27 by TLA

Fair play - I only caught a bit of the story on Talk Sport and they said none of his 1260 bets on football involved matches he played in. I don't disagree with your character assessment either.

I thought he had bet on matches he was involved in, but not against his own team? He had bet against the club he was with at times but only when he wasn't involved in the matchday squad

I did initially think this was harsh but on reflection I think MJ is right - it needs a harsh punishment both to reflect the match-fixing implications and as a deterrent for others. There are definitely very valid points about the wider promotion of gambling however

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Joey Barton on 08:00 - Apr 27 with 3367 viewsWD19

Taken in isolation harsh. He makes some very good points.

But any scrote that stabs a lit cigar out in the eye of a colleague and still goes on to have a very lucrative and successful career without mending his ways needs to take the rough with the smooth IMO. On balance life has not treated him unfairly.
Joey Barton on 08:15 - Apr 27 with 3339 viewsAdmiralFunge

Joey Barton on 07:11 - Apr 27 by MJallday

lets put aside for the moment that i think he's a terrible terrible person. he clearly has personal issues which are well documented. but lets take this in isolation.

what he's done (amongst other things) is bet on matches which he has had personal influence in.

he tried to justify it by saying "oh i always tried my hardest during those matches and anyone that knows me knows i do" - but actually what he's done is effectively been match fixing. whether he likes it or not, whether he tried to be the best player in the world is irrelevant - he had an influence, no matter how small, and had a financial gain to be made from it.

if you take that stance - the punishment is not nearly harsh enough - it should have been a life ban from the sport and actually i think the constabulary should be taking an interest

Well put.

As highlighted by a number of my peers on here, there is far, far too much gambling influenced on pretty much all sport nowadays.

Barton is an utter prick; his ban should have been longer. To bet on games you've personal influence in, is inexcusable. Look at the bans meted out to Mo Amir, Mo Asif and Salman Butt in cricket. I've not a lot of tolerance for cheating in sport.

The point made regarding the FA's hopelessness with regards to gambling advertising is a fair one, also.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Joey Barton on 08:17 - Apr 27 with 3328 viewsTLA

Joey Barton on 07:49 - Apr 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I thought he had bet on matches he was involved in, but not against his own team? He had bet against the club he was with at times but only when he wasn't involved in the matchday squad

I did initially think this was harsh but on reflection I think MJ is right - it needs a harsh punishment both to reflect the match-fixing implications and as a deterrent for others. There are definitely very valid points about the wider promotion of gambling however

Yep, I already acknowledged that I posted without being well-informed (always a mistake and a reason I don't post about lots of things!).

If Barton enters some kind of support process, I'd have a bit more respect for him (on this issue) - if not, it looks like using addiction as an excuse, which can further stigmatise those that do have genuine problems.
Joey Barton on 08:18 - Apr 27 with 3326 viewsitfcjoe

Joey Barton on 08:15 - Apr 27 by AdmiralFunge

Well put.

As highlighted by a number of my peers on here, there is far, far too much gambling influenced on pretty much all sport nowadays.

Barton is an utter prick; his ban should have been longer. To bet on games you've personal influence in, is inexcusable. Look at the bans meted out to Mo Amir, Mo Asif and Salman Butt in cricket. I've not a lot of tolerance for cheating in sport.

The point made regarding the FA's hopelessness with regards to gambling advertising is a fair one, also.

There's a huge difference to what the cricketers did to what Joey did, I think the punishment here is far too harsh.

Bloke is clearly a problem gambler, sticking £5 on yourself to score first when you earn >£50k a week isn't match fixing its indication of a problem. A ban to the end of the season would have probably been harsh - let alone a career ender

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joey Barton on 08:20 - Apr 27 with 3318 viewsAdmiralFunge

Joey Barton on 08:18 - Apr 27 by itfcjoe

There's a huge difference to what the cricketers did to what Joey did, I think the punishment here is far too harsh.

Bloke is clearly a problem gambler, sticking £5 on yourself to score first when you earn >£50k a week isn't match fixing its indication of a problem. A ban to the end of the season would have probably been harsh - let alone a career ender

Yeah, I'm probably letting my (intense) dislike of Barton cloud the issue, in truth. I retract my earlier call for a longer ban. It's still bloody stupid of him, but then this is in keeping with the nature of the man.

As always, the FA come out of it looking dishevelled.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Joey Barton on 09:00 - Apr 27 with 3258 viewsvapour_trail

Joey Barton on 07:49 - Apr 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The game is in hock to the gambling industry. What is it, half the EPL teams with shirt sponsors? You're bombarded with gambling advertising and endorsements whenever you go near the footie.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Joey Barton on 09:05 - Apr 27 with 3247 views26_Paz

He's broken some very clear rules and now trying to blame everyone but himself. Typical of him to be honest ...

The Paz Man

Joey Barton on 09:17 - Apr 27 with 3228 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Joey Barton on 07:11 - Apr 27 by MJallday

I work in sport and even though I sit in an office, I am not allowed to bet on anything relating to the sport I work in. This was highlighted in particular in the run up to the Olympics.

The thing that sticks out the most however is the convoluted messages the FA (and other footballing authorities) are giving out:

Club supporters racially abuse players = next macth behind closed doors
Miss/fail a drugs test = handful of matches
Bite an opposition player = handful of matches
Racially abuse an opponent = handful of matches
Physically asault a spectator = 9 months
Player Beta on some matches = 18 months

For me, everything listed should be deemed as more of a crime. Drugs and racism are still prevalent issues in 2017 when they really should not be. The reason being that the punishment doesn't carry enough weight for those who continue to take the risks
Joey Barton on 09:19 - Apr 27 with 3221 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's a plank and seems incapable of learning his lesson. If he's got a real gambling problem he needs to address it and being away from the game may make that easier. But what do I know...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Joey Barton on 09:32 - Apr 27 with 3173 viewsDeano69

Does make you wonder if betting will eventually be considered inappropriate for advertising like alcohol and cigarettes are in most places?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Joey Barton on 09:35 - Apr 27 with 3168 viewshoppy

Bet on some games over a period of 10 years that you have direct influence in, or involving the club you play for, irrespective of the amount staked = 18 month ban.

Climb over the advertising hoardings once to celebrate a single goal scored by your team against your local rivals but not even making it as far as the playing area of the pitch = 3 year and 4 year bans?

Which is harsh?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Joey Barton on 09:47 - Apr 27 with 3127 views26_Paz

Joey Barton on 06:52 - Apr 27 by wkj

The sums involved here do not represent problem gambling for someone earning the money he was earning. He's blatantly just made up that he had a problem to try and get a shorter ban. I'd increase the ban for this.

The Paz Man

Joey Barton on 09:54 - Apr 27 with 3114 viewsBlueBadger

Joey Barton on 09:35 - Apr 27 by hoppy

Bet on some games over a period of 10 years that you have direct influence in, or involving the club you play for, irrespective of the amount staked = 18 month ban.

Climb over the advertising hoardings once to celebrate a single goal scored by your team against your local rivals but not even making it as far as the playing area of the pitch = 3 year and 4 year bans?

Which is harsh?

Well, one's of them's effectively ended someone's career, the other will be able to attend again after their ban is over.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Joey Barton on 10:06 - Apr 27 with 3079 viewsitfcjoe

Joey Barton on 09:47 - Apr 27 by 26_Paz

The sums involved here do not represent problem gambling for someone earning the money he was earning. He's blatantly just made up that he had a problem to try and get a shorter ban. I'd increase the ban for this.

He's had plenty of issues with addiction and spells in rehab, hardly a great leap to suggest his personality would lead to this - they are pointless tiny bets that make no difference to him but he clearly can't stop himself

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joey Barton on 10:07 - Apr 27 with 3078 viewsTLA

Joey Barton on 09:35 - Apr 27 by hoppy

Which is harsh?

You could say that the shorter ban costs hundreds of thousands of pounds in lost earnings and the other saves money and suffering. Only if you were inclined to say that. I, however, fully agree with your point.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 10:23]
Joey Barton on 10:15 - Apr 27 with 3049 viewsBlueNomad

The ban is effectively a career- ender because of his age. I don't see that age should be a factor in deciding the punishment. Sportsmen know the rules and he could have asked for help with his addiction years ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024