Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! 15:28 - Aug 4 with 7781 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Another example of the current market being bonkers!

£3 million quoted in Jan, double that come the summer-crazy imo, but I know that's the current market when you look at other strikers on the move.

No wonder we are struggling to bring in a striker though and which will probably result in us getting someone in on loan instead of a permanent under the current budget.

The thing is, the price of a striker as shown by Hugill is unlikely to go down anytime soon so we need to be ready to push the boat out on the right player when it comes to it. £3 million for Hugill in Janaury is looking like possibly a missed opportunity now IMO.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:03 - Aug 4 with 7605 viewsLimitlessBlue

Football has changed and we, well ME is just going to have to get used to that. if he wants to be a success at some point he will have to splooge the cash on a decent striker.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:10 - Aug 4 with 7545 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:03 - Aug 4 by LimitlessBlue

Football has changed and we, well ME is just going to have to get used to that. if he wants to be a success at some point he will have to splooge the cash on a decent striker.

I think Mick needs to adjust as well though as I believe it was him that said that Hugill wasnt worth over £2 million in January which looks like a error of judgement now IMO.

Now he is apparently worth about £6 million. For me it just looks like a possibly missed opportunity and something that Mick needs to adjust to as well as ME.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:18 - Aug 4 with 7476 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:10 - Aug 4 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

I think Mick needs to adjust as well though as I believe it was him that said that Hugill wasnt worth over £2 million in January which looks like a error of judgement now IMO.

Now he is apparently worth about £6 million. For me it just looks like a possibly missed opportunity and something that Mick needs to adjust to as well as ME.

Hugill is worth what someone is willing to pay for him. Which I doubt is anywhere near the £6m price being mentioned and he'll stay at Preston for another season at least, and if he doesn't pull up any trees then he'll either stay or move on for a fee likely to be closer to what we valued him at, if Preston feel the need to sell.. which they currently don't have at the minute, hence the price tag to ward people off

We could stick a £6m price tag on Skuse but that doesn't mean that he's worth that.
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:28 - Aug 4 with 7425 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:18 - Aug 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Hugill is worth what someone is willing to pay for him. Which I doubt is anywhere near the £6m price being mentioned and he'll stay at Preston for another season at least, and if he doesn't pull up any trees then he'll either stay or move on for a fee likely to be closer to what we valued him at, if Preston feel the need to sell.. which they currently don't have at the minute, hence the price tag to ward people off

We could stick a £6m price tag on Skuse but that doesn't mean that he's worth that.

I think with Assombalonga moving for £15 million this summer though it has sky rocketed all the Championship strikers prices dramatically though.

I agree that a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay but it seems that a decent championship striker will set you back at least £5/6 million these days. Even Bristol City are paying that.

My point was that when we get a chance of a striker like this for say £3 million or when we had the chance to sign Watkins last summer yet we dragged our heels because of Micks valuations. I think Mick really needs to get up to speed quickly with how the market is changing or at least change tact somewhat otherwise we are going to continue to miss out on players and potentially get left behind.

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:11 - Aug 4 with 7156 viewsbournemouthblue

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:28 - Aug 4 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

I think with Assombalonga moving for £15 million this summer though it has sky rocketed all the Championship strikers prices dramatically though.

I agree that a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay but it seems that a decent championship striker will set you back at least £5/6 million these days. Even Bristol City are paying that.

My point was that when we get a chance of a striker like this for say £3 million or when we had the chance to sign Watkins last summer yet we dragged our heels because of Micks valuations. I think Mick really needs to get up to speed quickly with how the market is changing or at least change tact somewhat otherwise we are going to continue to miss out on players and potentially get left behind.

Indeed, the only reason we didn't get more for Murphy was his age

Given some of the wording MM used in the past, I'm not convinced he realised that that £6 million was the going rate nowadays. We were allegedly quoted around £7 million for Chris Martin as an example and turned our nose up at that, only for him to join Fulham on a £2.5 million loan fee.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2017 18:22]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:14 - Aug 4 with 7134 viewswkj

I think over the course of 12 months £5-10m transfer fees have almost become the norm at this level - and unless they increase solidarity payments - only those who yoyo will stand a chance

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:15 - Aug 4 with 7128 viewstextbackup

So why don't we scout lower leagues and buy someone from there?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:18 - Aug 4 with 7107 viewswkj

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:15 - Aug 4 by textbackup

So why don't we scout lower leagues and buy someone from there?

Possibly a little more ambitious than Keiffer Moore

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:22 - Aug 4 with 7087 viewstextbackup

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:18 - Aug 4 by wkj

Possibly a little more ambitious than Keiffer Moore

Exactly. Why can't we look at picking up league 1 league 2 forwards? We either try for prem loans or Ryman leagues reserve nobodies

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:25 - Aug 4 with 7067 viewsbournemouthblue

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:22 - Aug 4 by textbackup

Exactly. Why can't we look at picking up league 1 league 2 forwards? We either try for prem loans or Ryman leagues reserve nobodies

Keiffer Moore surely fell into the punt category, not to have a replacement lined up for Murphy was serious naive

We have had nearly a full season to find a decent replacement and we've come up with Garner who is probably more of a replacement for Pitman?

It smacks of p1ss poor planning and forethought

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:29 - Aug 4 with 7048 viewsbraveblue

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:18 - Aug 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Did you accidentally put an m behind the 6
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:49 - Aug 4 with 6964 viewsstrikalite

Was talking to my mate the other day and asked him when Dwight Gayle first played for Peterborough did he stand out straight away? He said god yes, you could just tell he had that bit of class, same with Assombalonga, big strong good on the ball, " you knew Fry was just rubbing his hands together watching him"....

They know a lower league player, they follow their gut feeling, wouldn't it be brilliant to be starting the season with a young striker in this mould that makes you feel like that as soon as you see him...

I just don't think MM knows a raw striker enough to commit, he's far more confident identifying a defender having been one himself maybe?
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 19:00 - Aug 4 with 6915 viewsfabian_illness

Always best to buy in the summer, January is such an inflated, unrealistic market ..... oh, wait a minute...
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 00:57 - Aug 10 with 6385 viewspnecha

He was offered a new contract in February following his goals/your interest, but won't sign.

As a result, he is still on a very small contract for the Championship, and still has 2 years left so we're under no pressure to cash in.

However, I would expect him to go to either Birmingham or Sunderland this window. They are both very interested and Hugill wants to move on if the opportunity arises, apparently.

Birmingham are making more bids, but I think Hugill would prefer Sunderland to work with Grayson again and move back to the North East. It's doubtful that Sunderland would have enough dough to do the deal though.

Personally I see £6m as more of a starting point in negotiations, gives us more room to drop the price as negotiations progress and still get decent money. I think he'll go for £4-4.5m, with Port Vale due 20-25% of the profit apparently, which is pretty much the whole thing as we signed him for 25k.

From the snippets I heard in January, your bids were a bit pathetic. Quoted as £1.5m-£2m in the press, but they were full of silly add-ons. Apparently the first bid we only would've been guaranteed under a million cash.

To be fair to McCarthy/your recruitment team, it was his breakthrough season last season and he hadn't actually scored that many goals, so it's no surprise you wouldn't stump up £3m at the time.
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 04:21 - Aug 10 with 6123 viewsElderGrizzly

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:49 - Aug 4 by strikalite

Was talking to my mate the other day and asked him when Dwight Gayle first played for Peterborough did he stand out straight away? He said god yes, you could just tell he had that bit of class, same with Assombalonga, big strong good on the ball, " you knew Fry was just rubbing his hands together watching him"....

They know a lower league player, they follow their gut feeling, wouldn't it be brilliant to be starting the season with a young striker in this mould that makes you feel like that as soon as you see him...

I just don't think MM knows a raw striker enough to commit, he's far more confident identifying a defender having been one himself maybe?

Agree Peterborough have done very well in picking up these players, but they've been doing it from a strong position in L1, not as a Championship team.

Easier to make an impression quicker down there, than it is with a team of our supposed stature that is going for the playoffs in the Championship.

Less time to settle in and a bigger jump to make. We should get a link up with a L2/L1 club to try and take advantage of moves like this.
Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 05:01 - Aug 10 with 6060 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 18:49 - Aug 4 by strikalite

Before Gayle went to Peterborough, I saw him play on numerous occasions at Dagenham

He was picked up from the lower leagues by the Dagenham manager (who's done the same with numerous players) at the time and current boss John Still. He saw Gayle was raw but had that natural talent about him.

To me, he was quite clearly destined for the football league and the move to Peterborough was about right. I did think it was 6 months too early for the lad but it clearly wasn't as he excelled there.

He had that star quality about him at that level (league 2 at the time) and the step up in coaching was always going to help him improve certain aspects of his game.

Nowadays, I think them punts are there.. but harder to find almost. So many teams are on the lookout. Dagenham last season had a lad banging the goals in who couldn't cut it in league 2 the season before. He had a good half season in the conference and suddenly Portsmouth are making 100k bids. I was even told that Ipswich bid (Phil confirmed wed at least had a look at him) from someone at the Dagenham end. Hawkins his name was but he is nowhere near chanpionship quality.

Clubs want to find that diamond in the rough but because everyone's looking, its harder to find one.

Bit of a long post by my standards
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 5:02]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 08:04 - Aug 10 with 5298 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 16:10 - Aug 4 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

He's probably quite happy picking up Garner and Waghorn for about £1.5m combined instead...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Hugill - £6 million, wtf! on 08:08 - Aug 10 with 5267 viewsDanTheMan

We do. Along with every other club at our level.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024