Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Ball..... 09:07 - Aug 10 with 8476 viewsITFC_Forever

Anyone managed to touch the match ball?

Always seems to be like feeding time at the zoo when the ball goes in to the crowd, so there is obviously a clamour to achieve this for some fans.

Sitting three-quarters of the way back in the SBRL, chances are pretty limited for me, but I've managed it a couple of times, most memorably in a home game a couple of years ago. Chambers (I think) blazed miles over and it came towards us.... I put my arm up to knock it away, except it went straight up, hit the underside of the upper tier and came down at a rate of knots, hit my brother in the face, knocking his glasses off and breaking them.

Also remember an old guy in the West Stand terrace years ago who took a clearance full in the face, knocking him over... St Johns need to give him some attention after that.

Also a long time ago when we were kids and stood on milk crates at the front of Churchmans, David Lowe had a shot which just missed the post and knocked our smaller mate off his crate and made a muddy splodge on his coat.

Edit: Meant to add that those weird non-league groundhopper types have a sub-category where the groundhopper can't tick the ground off that he's at unless they have touched the match ball. Although given these matches usually only have crowds of a couple of hundred, I should imagine it's relatively easy to achieve. Although I can imagine the panic if he's getting in to the last 10 minutes and still hasn't managed it!
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 9:13]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Match Ball..... on 11:59 - Aug 10 with 2534 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 11:35 - Aug 10 by The_Romford_Blue

Not at Portman road but at Dagenham once during the half time long passing practice from the subs the ball was overhit straight into the terrace. I miraculously managed to keep the ball up with three keepy uppies before flicking it over the barrier.

I earnt my cheer from the Dagenham faithful with that one

Can remember a League Cup game around 13-14 years ago at Doncaster's old Belle Vue ground.

Their subs were doing shooting practice at half-time very badly at the goal the Town fans were stood behind, and lot of people were getting hit.
So one by one, the training balls disappeared over the back of the open terrace in to someone's back garden.

Match Ball..... on 12:27 - Aug 10 with 2510 viewsuefacup81

Match Ball..... on 09:58 - Aug 10 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, saw them, they were the next block over from us and the same idiots who were signing the Fash song.

The Fash song? Still!?

And at Luton?!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Match Ball..... on 12:30 - Aug 10 with 2511 viewsMullet

At Brentford stood near the back of the terrace. Bloke a couple of rows behind me caught it. Launched it as hard as he could like a moron. The low roof meant it bounced off the beam 3 foot in front of me and smashed me in the face.

Everybody laughed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Match Ball..... on 12:43 - Aug 10 with 2496 viewshoppy

Match Ball..... on 11:40 - Aug 10 by gainsboroughblue

I got hit by it in the Churchmans as a youngster. A wayward Alan Sunderland shot from memory.

I also kept hold of the ball in the North Stand and Mark Schwarzer of Bradford was waiting in his penalty area for me to throw it back. I motioned to throw it, then simply placed it the other side of the advertising hoardings so he had to fetch it. It made a few people cheer/laugh and Schwarzer smiled.

[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 11:41]

Nobody likes getting hit in the Churchmans...

Quality bit about Schwarzer.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Match Ball..... on 13:07 - Aug 10 with 2471 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 12:27 - Aug 10 by uefacup81

The Fash song? Still!?

And at Luton?!

Yep, muggy little twits who wouldn't even have been born when he passed away.

Match Ball..... on 13:26 - Aug 10 with 2444 viewsClapham_Junction

A few years ago I was at a non-league game when a ball went out of play behind the goal near the tea hut. A guy walking past with a cup of tea in one hand and a burger in the other tried to volley it back, but only succeeded in volleying it into a bin about a metre away, from where it bounced back and hit his cup of tea, emptying it all over him.

Also, on the groundhopper front, there is another sub-category of hoppers who only 'count' a ground if they see a goal scored. There is apparently someone had to go back to Stenhousemuir three times because every game they went to was 0-0.
Match Ball..... on 13:53 - Aug 10 with 2418 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Happened to me for the first time at Burton back in April. Clearance flying straight at me. Mercifully I think the guy next to me also got his hand to it and took most of the sting out of it - my goalkeeping skills are not what they were when I was a kid!!
Match Ball..... on 13:53 - Aug 10 with 2416 viewsglasso

Never touched it but I remember being at Bradford away in about 2002/2003 and Malcolm Webster was warming up the keepers. He unleashed a half volley that went just over the bar, straight into the face of a woman whod turned away to talk to someone.
Knocked her clean out and she didn't come back for the rest of the match. I heard they took her into a box or something to say sorry. Looked mighty painful.
But if her head hadn't been in the way, I would've caught it. So it counts as a 'nearly'
Login to get fewer ads

Match Ball..... on 13:55 - Aug 10 with 2409 viewspowinswitch

In the 70s once caught the ball in the lower east stand and threw it to Kevin Beattie, who said 'thanks son'. Thought I was in heaven (I was about 9)

Later, on a journey with some mates in the States we went to watch Kansas City Royals play. I asked a yank on the way in whether we stood any chance of catching the ball, and he looked at my ticket and said not a cat in hells chance (well an american version of the same). Second pitch was caught by my pal. With bare hands which was greeted by a tremendous roar from the whole stadium. We were also offered free beers by the stadium because they were impressed by his catch!
Match Ball..... on 13:56 - Aug 10 with 2408 viewstheblueginger

In the South Stand when my ST was there in about 2011, a boy of about 7 got smacked by a ball which knocked him over and looked like it broke his arm. Paramedics were on the scene. I can't remember if this was the match ball or during the warm-up though.

There was another case when a young family were not paying attention as this ball came flying in during a warm-up. I saw it coming and got my hand to it, pushing it past them. Only me and this other guy stood behind them saw me do the best bit of goalkeeping i am ever likely to manage.

I personally had my hands on a match ball in the 2010-11 season, after a shot deflected of an upright behind the goal. Proud moment.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 14:18]
Match Ball..... on 14:02 - Aug 10 with 2396 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 13:56 - Aug 10 by theblueginger

In the South Stand when my ST was there in about 2011, a boy of about 7 got smacked by a ball which knocked him over and looked like it broke his arm. Paramedics were on the scene. I can't remember if this was the match ball or during the warm-up though.

There was another case when a young family were not paying attention as this ball came flying in during a warm-up. I saw it coming and got my hand to it, pushing it past them. Only me and this other guy stood behind them saw me do the best bit of goalkeeping i am ever likely to manage.

I personally had my hands on a match ball in the 2010-11 season, after a shot deflected of an upright behind the goal. Proud moment.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 14:18]

Similar thing happened a couple of years ago at Bournemouth when they played Real Madrid in a pre-season friendly.... Ronaldo free-kick missed the goal and hit a young kid in the crowd and broke his arm. Ronaldo visited him and gave him a load of stuff after.

Match Ball..... on 14:50 - Aug 10 with 2369 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My Dad took me to Old Trafford in my youth (Utd v Spurs 1-1). We were stood at the side behind the fence near the tunnel when the ball landed at my feet. I had an almost overwhelming realisation that when and how I returned the ball over the fence would affect the outcome of the game (first insight into 'the butterfly effect') but fortunately nobody else in the ground seemed to blame me for the following bore draw. Oh the burden of responsibility!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Match Ball..... on 15:44 - Aug 10 with 2341 viewstextbackup

Caught it

Headed it

Kicked it

Nicked it (well warm up ball)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Match Ball..... on 15:48 - Aug 10 with 2337 viewsJakeITFC

Match Ball..... on 15:44 - Aug 10 by textbackup

Caught it

Headed it

Kicked it

I remember a kid at the Southampton Youth Cup final getting a ball kicked at him in the pre-match warm-up and he just put it under his top and walked home.
Match Ball..... on 16:29 - Aug 10 with 2320 viewswitchdoctor

Match Ball..... on 15:44 - Aug 10 by textbackup

Caught it

Headed it

Kicked it

playing Burnley one evening Diallo smashed a shot high and wide...I was standing above one off the top entrances and as it came to me I saw it spinning....took that into account and headed the ball perfectly back into the Burnley keepers hands.... cue chants of 'sign him up'...😂
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024