Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 11:22 - Aug 31 with 21759 viewsipswich78

[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 13:10]

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:07 - Aug 31 with 3548 viewsBluearmy71

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 14:29 - Aug 31 by SpruceMoose

To be fair, whilst the world was a different place, the old folks of today also had the opportunity to grow up and live through some of the greatest periods of change and advancement in regards to equality, diversity and human rights. You'd think that some of them would have embraced those experiences a little more.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2017 14:30]

I fear this to be a more idealistic (not saying its not good) view rather than a practical one, you can't exclude the factor that a lot of people do not like change and for whatever reason have a hard time accepting it, maybe this is more to do with human nature ie "I am comfortable as I am so no need to change anything"

You cannot teach acceptance, you can educate them in the rights and wrongs of life and the way others are free live it but the acceptance has to come from within and along with them not accepting others sexuality and/or race etc etc then those accepting of it must also accept that some people will never change regardless of what education they have on any given subject!

Bigotry and discrimination of any kind really does not have a defined age group ( but i also can't disagree it may be worse in older generations purely through lack of knowledge in most cases ) as with anything in life it is down to individual choice!

At the end of the day don't let anyone's opinion spoil your happiness in life, live it as you see fit and do what you wish ( obv within reason) for the life you have is yours and it can be gone at any given moment.
How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:09 - Aug 31 with 3542 viewsBenters

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 13:27 - Aug 31 by BergholtBru

People have a right to hold what views they like. We`ll soon be shopping our parents to the thought police if they dare to utter something we don`t consider "acceptable. How "Orwellian". Ffs just accept other people have differing views and get on with life!!

This.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:18 - Aug 31 with 3526 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 17:05 - Aug 31 by _

No, just intolerance if different opinions
How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:19 - Aug 31 with 3516 viewschicoazul

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:04 - Aug 31 by FrowsyArmLarry

But if someone thinks their religion makes them a better person they think that non believers are lesser people by default.

That's bigotry, and is why all religion should be banned

what a stupid thing to say.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 17:20 - Aug 31 with 3513 views_

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:18 - Aug 31 by FrowsyArmLarry

No, just intolerance if different opinions

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:39 - Aug 31 with 3490 viewsMullet

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 14:08 - Aug 31 by Vic

But the the problem I have with the word is that it is common to use it towards people are hold different opinions and beliefs but are not intolerant of others. Just because a person doesn't hold to the current world view on a particular subject doesn't necessarily make them bigoted (intolerant) does it!

If, for example we disagreed on the issue of sexuality which of us would be the 'bigot'? Surely it would be neither of us unless we were not able to tolerate each others opinions. It's not the disagreement but the intolerance that makes a bigot is it not. Or are you saying that simply having a belief (however gentle, and tactful and thoughtful the person is) that others disagree with makes the person a bigot?

What on earth is "the current worldview"? There's 6-7 billion of us for starters.

We're not talking about it being a case of holding a different view we're talking about fundamentally incorrect and bigoted views about other people based on arbitrary factors and prejudice.

There's no defending it, simple as that.

As usual though people on here who are sympathetic to/hold those views are trying to move away from that very fundamental principle and wibble about freedom of speech and respect etc. I've not disputed any of that, but simply insisted that yes being racist etc. as outlined in the OP is bigotry. There is no way around that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:44 - Aug 31 with 3487 viewsMullet

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:04 - Aug 31 by FrowsyArmLarry

But if someone thinks their religion makes them a better person they think that non believers are lesser people by default.

That's bigotry, and is why all religion should be banned

Completely different point to the OP and you're probably right in an anecdotal sense but that isn't what you said previously.

The militant atheists who often broadbrush the religious and misquote, confuse or ignore scripture to suit are equally bigoted and hypocritical unfortunately. Which puts that rather separate debate somewhere else, especially as we see it almost weekly on here.

A good case in point would be the banned and recently resurrected Islamaphobe on here who didn't know the difference between the Qur'an and a hadith, and quoted them haphazardly a few weeks ago to make some sh1twitted point.

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:50 - Aug 31 with 3480 viewsmos

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 13:28 - Aug 31 by Vic

"Dad, I think we both know how we feel about these things! Lets not go there again - I really don;t like to argue with you. Now, about that new loan signing at town - what do you think of him?"

Something like that maybe?

Then the reply from the father is something on the lines of "Argh! Filthy asian scum, can't have him playing."

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Login to get fewer ads

on 17:54 - Aug 31 with 3469 views_

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:50 - Aug 31 by mos

Then the reply from the father is something on the lines of "Argh! Filthy asian scum, can't have him playing."

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:56 - Aug 31 with 3461 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:44 - Aug 31 by Mullet

Completely different point to the OP and you're probably right in an anecdotal sense but that isn't what you said previously.

The militant atheists who often broadbrush the religious and misquote, confuse or ignore scripture to suit are equally bigoted and hypocritical unfortunately. Which puts that rather separate debate somewhere else, especially as we see it almost weekly on here.

A good case in point would be the banned and recently resurrected Islamaphobe on here who didn't know the difference between the Qur'an and a hadith, and quoted them haphazardly a few weeks ago to make some sh1twitted point.

But no one can prove the existence of god, therefore religion just boils down to thinking you're better than everyone else
How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:01 - Aug 31 with 3446 viewsMullet

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 17:56 - Aug 31 by FrowsyArmLarry

But no one can prove the existence of god, therefore religion just boils down to thinking you're better than everyone else

Does it? Plenty of religious outlooks focus on "sin" being inherent and in need of addressing, some have service to mankind to build a relationship with God etc. Which religions exactly do what you're saying, how and to what extent?

How do you know their faith isn't about their personal relationship with God(s)/the universe etc. rather than being outwardly looking first? Surely that's entirely crucial to this whole argument of yours first?

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:03 - Aug 31 with 3436 viewsbaxterbasics

The only way people will change their views towards a particular group, is by positive exposure to whoever they are prejudiced about. Arguing or confrontation doesn't work.

Read this for a more extreme example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40779377

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:11 - Aug 31 with 3424 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:01 - Aug 31 by Mullet

Does it? Plenty of religious outlooks focus on "sin" being inherent and in need of addressing, some have service to mankind to build a relationship with God etc. Which religions exactly do what you're saying, how and to what extent?

How do you know their faith isn't about their personal relationship with God(s)/the universe etc. rather than being outwardly looking first? Surely that's entirely crucial to this whole argument of yours first?

"Personal relationship with god". What a load of twaddle

It's all about judging people.
on 18:16 - Aug 31 with 3410 views_

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:11 - Aug 31 by FrowsyArmLarry

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:18 - Aug 31 with 3407 viewsSpruceMoose

on 18:16 - Aug 31 by _

Wait... couscous lifestyles? Say what?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

on 18:19 - Aug 31 with 3403 views_

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:18 - Aug 31 by SpruceMoose

Wait... couscous lifestyles? Say what?!

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:46 - Aug 31 with 3373 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 18:16 - Aug 31 by _

In all honesty I don't have a problem with any of the religious people I know... but in terms of bigoted parents I thought it was relevant
How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:51 - Aug 31 with 3368 viewsSpruceMoose

on 18:19 - Aug 31 by _

Thought it was some new middle class put down!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:55 - Aug 31 with 3366 viewsjaykay

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 13:37 - Aug 31 by Vic

"you are a shining example of someone who has formed his own mind and views and not being led by others"

Are you saying that people today think for themselves and are not affected by popular opinion or the trends of the day.

I wonder what people will say in 50 years time about the 20 somethings of today!

I don't think many people are genuinely free thinkers - the vast, vast majority are influenced by our upbringing, education and experiences. All of which are affected by other people. I think we should be very careful about assuming that the beliefs of society today are right and will stand the test of time. History suggests that the next generation or two will see things very differently to us - it's always been that way and I see no reason why it will change.

i expect the subject of bigotry will stand test of time
also someone had to start the trend as you call it that bigotry is wrong

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:58 - Aug 31 with 3358 viewsMullet

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:11 - Aug 31 by FrowsyArmLarry

Do atheists not judge people then?

You've managed to prove my point about not knowing/refuting the actual aspects of "being religious" when it comes to the vast majority of religions quite nicely there.

Whether those who claim to be "religious" are actually any good at it is entirely different. It's also a world away from the bigotry in the subject of the OP still.

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 19:18 - Aug 31 with 3338 viewsCrawfordsboot

I suggest you ask my lad!
How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 19:46 - Aug 31 with 3313 viewsblue_oyster

It's amazing isn't it. The cultural revolution will take no prisoners, and even their own parents are not safe from their bile. How long until your own children brand you a 'bigot' or say you have 'extreme' views when they disagree with you. Fingers crossed, eh?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 20:41 - Aug 31 with 3282 viewsDarth_Koont

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 19:46 - Aug 31 by blue_oyster

It's amazing isn't it. The cultural revolution will take no prisoners, and even their own parents are not safe from their bile. How long until your own children brand you a 'bigot' or say you have 'extreme' views when they disagree with you. Fingers crossed, eh?

Hehe. You're trying waaayy too hard now.

Pronouns: He/Him

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 21:05 - Aug 31 with 3258 viewsMelford

My old man was a proper hippy back in the 60s, but he is getting more and more like Alf Garnett by the day. But then I am a card-carrying Labour and Momentum member, I think he comes out with stuff purely to wind me up. I like going up for Question Time, he doesn't work Fridays anymore so by the time it starts he's had a few cans and a smoke. I show up in my Corbyn T shirt and we have a good old rant at each other.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 21:18 - Aug 31 with 3248 viewsblueislander

How do you deal with a bigoted parent? on 18:58 - Aug 31 by Mullet

Do atheists not judge people then?

You've managed to prove my point about not knowing/refuting the actual aspects of "being religious" when it comes to the vast majority of religions quite nicely there.

Whether those who claim to be "religious" are actually any good at it is entirely different. It's also a world away from the bigotry in the subject of the OP still.

The vast majority of the world's population have some sort of religeous faith.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024