Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ball boys/girls 18:02 - Sep 30 with 19698 viewshavinit69

I’m not suggesting for a second that we lost today because of our ball boys/girls but is anyone else getting pissed off with them? I’m sure they think that they are just there to watch the game.

When will the club realise that having slightly older and wiser ball boys will make a difference. When you’re losing, the opposition wastes enough time without us giving them a hand!

It may only be small, but they have an influence on the game.

Rant over.
Ball boys/girls on 16:22 - Oct 1 with 4642 viewsSuperfrans

Ball boys/girls on 16:15 - Oct 1 by PhilTWTD

Not convinced that's the sort of thing Mick would get into in a press conference, to be honest, unless there was a controversy relating to a ballboy related incident (I seem to remember Motson getting into hot water some years ago for 'blaming' a swift-acting Ewood Park ballboy for Liverpool scoring a goal against then-lowly Blackburn in the FA Cup, leading to death threats to the little lad). Might around at the club, though.

Ha. That’s quite an understatement.

Do us a favour, Phil. If it ever does occur to you to ask Mick how he prepares the balboys/girls, can you give us some advance notice. I’d like to tune into that live, if at all possible.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Ball boys/girls on 16:25 - Oct 1 with 4636 viewsBackToRussia

Ball boys/girls on 16:16 - Oct 1 by PhilTWTD

Yes, but that doesn't always fit into the home manager's thinking. On that case Joe wanted his team to get set up before the opposition had a chance to take their throw and catch them out.

Oh you're talking about the opposition. Well obviously, yes, spoil the opposition and speed our play up for the advantage.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Ball boys/girls on 16:25 - Oct 1 with 4634 viewsRyorry

Not convinced that's the sort of thing Mick would get into in a press conference, to be honest, unless there was a controversy relating to a ballboy related incident (I seem to remember Motson getting into hot water some years ago for 'blaming' a swift-acting Ewood Park ballboy for Liverpool scoring a goal against then-lowly Blackburn in the FA Cup, leading to death threats to the little lad). Might around at the club, though.

(Edit: re the first part of your post obvs, not the bit in brackets ...)
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 16:28]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ball boys/girls on 16:26 - Oct 1 with 4627 viewsDyland

Ball boys/girls on 16:16 - Oct 1 by PhilTWTD

Yes, but that doesn't always fit into the home manager's thinking. On that case Joe wanted his team to get set up before the opposition had a chance to take their throw and catch them out.

The comments are about when it's a Town ball.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Ball boys/girls on 16:27 - Oct 1 with 4625 viewsDyland

Think you should ask just to wind him up, he's very rude to you guys as it is :)

Ball boys/girls on 16:56 - Oct 1 with 4608 viewsMullet

Ball boys/girls on 16:02 - Oct 1 by PhilTWTD

From what I recall, Joe Royle always encouraged the ballboys to be slow at getting the ball back so Town could get themselves set up properly and I don't think he wanted to take any chances on them getting the ball back quickly at the wrong moment. Not sure what Mick's thinking on this is, though.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Ignore me, didn't notice more thread.

First question on TWTV sorted then Hambo!

Or do you and Watson draw lots for who's going to ask potential rollicking-inducing questions from Mick?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 16:59]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ball boys/girls on 19:06 - Oct 1 with 4577 viewsjeera

Ball boys/girls on 16:27 - Oct 1 by Dyland

Think you should ask just to wind him up, he's very rude to you guys as it is :)

Yes, that will help to connect.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:20 - Oct 1 with 4562 viewsjeera

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 15:11 - Oct 1 by 3_5_2

Well I will pass your comments onto my niece who was a ball girl yesterday

But what on earth does that have to do with anything?

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

The ball boy/girl thing has often been a contentious issue; multi-ball system to towel wiping of the balls etc.

It's an integral part of the game. It's hard to see where you're coming from here other than you believe someone has had a personal pop at your niece. Which of course they haven't.

Her uncle sound like blast though...

Login to get fewer ads

Ball boys/girls on 19:25 - Oct 1 with 4556 viewsPhilTWTD

Ball boys/girls on 16:26 - Oct 1 by Dyland

The comments are about when it's a Town ball.

Indeed, but Joe R's point, if I remember it rightly, was that he didn't want to take any chances on the ballboys/girls misjudging the situation and getting the ball back quickly at the wrong moment, hence encouraging general slowness.
No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:25 - Oct 1 with 4556 views3_5_2

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 15:47 - Oct 1 by Dyland

I suspect in many cases their dads or mums are more into the idea than the kids are.

What a complete load of bollox

Local clubs are invited to become ball boys and girls, surely a good idea to perhaps encourage kids to follow itfc by being involved. The suggestion that this comes from the parents is totally misleading and a cheap shot

I can tell that these girls have known for a few weeks that they would be selected yesterday and they even got their own kit to celebrate the day, had photos taken at the ground etc etc. they were very excited and honoured to be picked and their club, Felixstowe and Walton United FC were very supportive ( like many local clubs have close ties with itfc at various levels)

I don't know what training or preparation they received on the day and maybe that is the problem but certainly not them or as is being suggested here, pushy parents.

Send your kids and then see how you feel when you see the cr@p being posted on here.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Ball boys/girls on 19:26 - Oct 1 with 4556 viewsPhilTWTD

Ball boys/girls on 16:22 - Oct 1 by Superfrans

Ha. That’s quite an understatement.

Do us a favour, Phil. If it ever does occur to you to ask Mick how he prepares the balboys/girls, can you give us some advance notice. I’d like to tune into that live, if at all possible.

Perhaps I'll do it in a post-match press conference when we've lost 6-0.
Ball boys/girls on 19:33 - Oct 1 with 4533 viewsjeera

Ball boys/girls on 19:26 - Oct 1 by PhilTWTD

I'd pay a month's subscription to see that.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 19:37]

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:41 - Oct 1 with 4518 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:25 - Oct 1 by 3_5_2

Local clubs are invited to become ball boys and girls, surely a good idea to perhaps encourage kids to follow itfc by being involved. The suggestion that this comes from the parents is totally misleading and a cheap shot

I can tell that these girls have known for a few weeks that they would be selected yesterday and they even got their own kit to celebrate the day, had photos taken at the ground etc etc. they were very excited and honoured to be picked and their club, Felixstowe and Walton United FC were very supportive ( like many local clubs have close ties with itfc at various levels)

I don't know what training or preparation they received on the day and maybe that is the problem but certainly not them or as is being suggested here, pushy parents.

Send your kids and then see how you feel when you see the cr@p being posted on here.

The fact you are taking it as a personal insult is ridiculous

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Ball boys/girls on 19:43 - Oct 1 with 4514 viewsRyorry

Ball boys/girls on 19:33 - Oct 1 by jeera

I'd pay a month's subscription to see that.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2017 19:37]

Me too

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:45 - Oct 1 with 4509 viewsSwailsey

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:25 - Oct 1 by 3_5_2

The crap?

Calm down. Again...I’ll direct you to re-read...

Actually, don’t bother.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:51 - Oct 1 with 4500 viewsRyorry

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:45 - Oct 1 by Swailsey

The crap?

Calm down. Again...I’ll direct you to re-read...

Actually, don’t bother.

I can understand him being protective & it's hard to read dispassionately/objectively if your kid rellies are brought into the spotlight, but yes, a read-through in tomorrow's cooler light of day would seem to be a reasonable plan for him!

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:55 - Oct 1 with 4490 viewsSwailsey

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:51 - Oct 1 by Ryorry

I can understand him being protective & it's hard to read dispassionately/objectively if your kid rellies are brought into the spotlight, but yes, a read-through in tomorrow's cooler light of day would seem to be a reasonable plan for him!

For sure - but people were making a general comment about the standard of ball girls and boys.

Rather than saying “hey guys, hang on, this is quite close to me”, he came storming in very aggressively - people aren’t yelling at his niece!

I do find it bizarre that there isn’t training for ball peeps though. I didn’t realise it was almost something you could volunteer to do?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:59 - Oct 1 with 4470 viewsDyland

I'm not suggesting it is "pushy parents". You're inferring all sorts of stuff that isn't there.

And yes, I understand why you're a bit sensitive and am cutting you some slack because of that. I get it buh.

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:59 - Oct 1 with 4468 viewsjeera

No one has said we lost because of the ball boys and girls on 19:51 - Oct 1 by Ryorry

She should've done more for the 2nd goal to be fair.

Ball boys/girls on 20:06 - Oct 1 with 4458 viewsconnorscontract

Ball boys/girls on 23:12 - Sep 30 by 3_5_2

Not a little bit sad, as fwcking sad as anything I've read on here. And there is a lot of sh1te posted

The ball girls where from our semi pro club and hear this stuff makes me embarrassed to be a town fan

The reason we lose games is not because of the ball boys / girls.

Today we lost because of disruption with team selection through injuries, a decent team who people are already starting to forget tore us to bits at times during the first half. Some back luck, poor reffing and we actually lost to the better side. MM said so so that's good enough for me.

Some of you guys should just fcuking give it a rest

It's not a criticism of these particular ball boys and girls for someone to ask the question about whether it would be a better strategy for the club to appoint a regular, and slightly older, team who could be trained properly and who would understand the match situation better.

I remember seeing one lad getting rained on on a bleakly cold winter night and fearing he'd get hypothermia... they should all have been given that night off!

It's a relatively new innovation, isn't it? Anyone know when they were introduced at PR? Was it post- Sir Bobby?
Ball boys/girls on 20:08 - Oct 1 with 4453 viewsDyland

Ball boys/girls on 19:26 - Oct 1 by PhilTWTD

Ball boys/girls on 20:16 - Oct 1 with 4438 viewsPJH

Ball boys/girls on 20:06 - Oct 1 by connorscontract

It's not a criticism of these particular ball boys and girls for someone to ask the question about whether it would be a better strategy for the club to appoint a regular, and slightly older, team who could be trained properly and who would understand the match situation better.

I remember seeing one lad getting rained on on a bleakly cold winter night and fearing he'd get hypothermia... they should all have been given that night off!

It's a relatively new innovation, isn't it? Anyone know when they were introduced at PR? Was it post- Sir Bobby?

Don't know exactly when they were first introduced at Portman Road but I do know that 1983 World Darts Champion Keith Deller was an ex ITFC ballboy so certainly used in SBR's day.
Ball boys/girls on 20:56 - Oct 1 with 4394 viewsYallop

Ball boys/girls on 20:16 - Oct 1 by PJH

Don't know exactly when they were first introduced at Portman Road but I do know that 1983 World Darts Champion Keith Deller was an ex ITFC ballboy so certainly used in SBR's day.

I was a ballboy from 1986 to '90. Would be on our knees ready to run like hell and retrieve the ball when we were chasing a game but as soon as we were winning we'd be sat flat on our back sides ready for a very slow jog.

I remember being told if you kick the ball you'll be sacked!
Ball boys/girls on 21:11 - Oct 1 with 4377 viewsRadlett_blue

Ball boys/girls on 19:18 - Sep 30 by Swailsey

Agreed. Very frustrating. I remember Magilton getting annoyed about this too. It's not even as if they are tactical and giving us more time than the other teams. They're just poor.

Jim got pi$$ed off when we played at Preston & they initially employed the "multi ball system" which got a ball back in next to no time. Once Preston got ahead, they withdrew this system & reverted to the much slower single ball system. Unbelievably, this was within the rules at the time & Jim went ballistic & was sent to the stands.
The Blunts were early masters of the "quick if its for us, desperately slow if it's for them" strategy when Warnock was manager.
And of course Eden Hazard was sent off when he tried to retrieve a ball from a ball boy who had decided to dive on the ball & keep it when Chelsea played at Swansea in a League Cup semi final.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ball boys/girls on 22:11 - Oct 1 with 4346 viewsRoyal_Blue

Ball boys/girls on 18:15 - Sep 30 by ITFC_Forever

What an odd thing to get annoyed about.

I think it is shared round local clubs, rather than the same squad every week.

Bring back Keith Deller. Best ball boy we ever had. Wonder if any of those yesterday will go on to be a World Darts Champion?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024