Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup memories 08:26 - Jan 6 with 12870 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Not necessarily good or bad just memories??

Everton away 4th round I think in the late 90s, we lost 1-0 and had a last minute Wilnis goal disallowed for what seemed like nothing at the time.

Sheff Utd 4-3 - we stayed in the same hotel as the players the night before and over a beer joe royle said we are 7-4 to win tomorrow lump on us. So he did only to be 3-0 down after 30 minutes or something stupid.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 8:27]
FA Cup memories on 08:30 - Jan 6 with 6878 viewsGeoffSentence

Mich D'Avray nearly hitting the corner flag with a shot in a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at For some time in the mid 80s.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

FA Cup memories on 08:33 - Jan 6 with 6860 viewsartsbossbeard

Chester away 0-0

First sighting of Johnnie Walters that day.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

FA Cup memories on 08:33 - Jan 6 with 6862 viewsBrixtonBlue

Away at Anfield when Gavin Johnson scored. We lost 3-2 after extra time I think but that's one of the proudest I've felt as a Town supporter. Liverpool supporters applauding our coach after the game was a nice touch too.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

FA Cup memories on 08:35 - Jan 6 with 6854 viewsGeoffSentence

That bald fat pub footballer who played up front for Lincoln, giving our defence the run around.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

FA Cup memories on 08:37 - Jan 6 with 6843 viewsLower_North

Bad

Leyton Orient away in a midweek replay.Won 2-0 about 79 I think.

Dreadful violence before, during & after..
FA Cup memories on 08:43 - Jan 6 with 6828 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 08:33 - Jan 6 by BrixtonBlue

Away at Anfield when Gavin Johnson scored. We lost 3-2 after extra time I think but that's one of the proudest I've felt as a Town supporter. Liverpool supporters applauding our coach after the game was a nice touch too.

Watching the highlights back now I would have loved to been old enough to go to that one. What also stands out to me is despite the obvious class difference we still played some wonderful football against them and both goals were products of some lovely football. I just imagine how McCarthy would set us up if we were at anfield today. We would play with no intention of having a shot and just try to keep the score down.
FA Cup memories on 08:45 - Jan 6 with 6817 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 08:33 - Jan 6 by artsbossbeard

Chester away 0-0

First sighting of Johnnie Walters that day.

I saw him in the replay at Portman road and he was impressive.
FA Cup memories on 08:45 - Jan 6 with 6815 viewsBrixtonBlue

FA Cup memories on 08:43 - Jan 6 by ColchesterBlue1985

Watching the highlights back now I would have loved to been old enough to go to that one. What also stands out to me is despite the obvious class difference we still played some wonderful football against them and both goals were products of some lovely football. I just imagine how McCarthy would set us up if we were at anfield today. We would play with no intention of having a shot and just try to keep the score down.

Indeed, but we had better players then. We won promotion the following year.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup memories on 08:50 - Jan 6 with 6806 viewsKeaneish

2007 FA cup 5th round away to Watford with a depleted side and down to ten men after 45 mins we still battered them, hit the bar twice and had a disallowed goal only to lose to Watford’s only real attack on goal.

The beauty of the cup.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

FA Cup memories on 08:53 - Jan 6 with 6797 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 08:45 - Jan 6 by BrixtonBlue

Indeed, but we had better players then. We won promotion the following year.

Yes the tail end of the promotion season was my first season watching us. How spoilt I was when looking back I had the early 90s under lyall and the late 90s under burley. I loved Burleys 3-5-2 5-3-2 formation really seemed to dominate every game we played. So enjoyable.
FA Cup memories on 08:57 - Jan 6 with 6787 viewsBrixtonBlue

FA Cup memories on 08:53 - Jan 6 by ColchesterBlue1985

Yes the tail end of the promotion season was my first season watching us. How spoilt I was when looking back I had the early 90s under lyall and the late 90s under burley. I loved Burleys 3-5-2 5-3-2 formation really seemed to dominate every game we played. So enjoyable.

You were lucky indeed, although I feel fairly lucky myself having started going during the Duncan era, so had the good times right after some bad times, which made the good times feel even better!

FA Cup memories on 09:03 - Jan 6 with 6783 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Paul Power broke my heart

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

FA Cup memories on 09:06 - Jan 6 with 6775 viewsleftback

1996 against Blackburn (current champions?)
What performance from R. Wright, I was only a boy listening to wireless in my bedroom and going mental when mason scored!
FA Cup memories on 09:17 - Jan 6 with 6762 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 08:57 - Jan 6 by BrixtonBlue

You were lucky indeed, although I feel fairly lucky myself having started going during the Duncan era, so had the good times right after some bad times, which made the good times feel even better!

Man City semi final at villa park?

Free kick?

My dad has relayed that story to me many many times. We should of won the treble that year boy he’d say. Villa played something like 20 less games than us too didn’t they?
FA Cup memories on 09:19 - Jan 6 with 6743 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 09:06 - Jan 6 by leftback

1996 against Blackburn (current champions?)
What performance from R. Wright, I was only a boy listening to wireless in my bedroom and going mental when mason scored!

As I was too.

Wasn’t that the year when shearer said there are no easy games except Ipswich??
FA Cup memories on 09:19 - Jan 6 with 6740 viewsartsbossbeard

FA Cup memories on 09:17 - Jan 6 by ColchesterBlue1985

Free kick?

My dad has relayed that story to me many many times. We should of won the treble that year boy he’d say. Villa played something like 20 less games than us too didn’t they?

And we beat them twice.

Beattie walking past me holding his broken arm was my memory of the day.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

FA Cup memories on 09:20 - Jan 6 with 6742 viewsColchesterBlue1985

FA Cup memories on 09:03 - Jan 6 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Paul Power broke my heart

Sorry replied to wrong post
FA Cup memories on 09:24 - Jan 6 with 6731 viewsPJH

FA Cup memories on 09:17 - Jan 6 by ColchesterBlue1985

Free kick?

Yes to all three of those.

We beat Villa 3 times including 3rd round of the cup which in a way eventually did them more good than us.

Villa used only 14 players all season I think(one sub in domestic football),we used 21 at a time when it was basically first team and reserves.
FA Cup memories on 09:30 - Jan 6 with 6693 viewsCoastalblue

Shrewsbury away '81, never been so squashed.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

FA Cup memories on 09:42 - Jan 6 with 6667 viewshanoverblue

southampton away 1991 was a great day loads of town supporters there good drinking session in the pub near the old cricket ground ,town fans getting in the home seating area and it kicked off when we scored lost 3v 2 dozzell got a brace
i went back 3 years ago at st marys desprite there being 5000 fans there it was not the same in the new stadium suppose modern day football has killed the fun in football
FA Cup memories on 09:45 - Jan 6 with 6666 viewsRadlett_blue

FA Cup memories on 09:19 - Jan 6 by ColchesterBlue1985

As I was too.

Wasn’t that the year when shearer said there are no easy games except Ipswich??

Yes, Blackburn had thumped us 4-1 the previous season as we were relegated & Shearer had said "there are no easy games in the Premier League - except Ipswich at home".
Irony of ironies, we got them in the 3rd round the next season & after a 0-0 at PR, won 1-0 in the replay.
I'm still trying to work out why Wilnis's last minute equaliser at Goodison Park was disallowed. Their crowd were moaning minnies all day long.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

FA Cup memories on 09:51 - Jan 6 with 6660 viewshammo56

Highbury semi-final 78.
In some ways more memorable than the final itself. Talbot’s goal and clash of heads with Wile, Mills putting us 2 up and then Hunter giving away a penalty for handball and we all thought can we hang on?
Then Warky powering home a header to clinch it and we all knew we were Wembley bound.
FA Cup memories on 10:02 - Jan 6 with 6628 viewsRadlett_blue

FA Cup memories on 08:37 - Jan 6 by Lower_North

Bad

Leyton Orient away in a midweek replay.Won 2-0 about 79 I think.

Dreadful violence before, during & after..

Surprised to hear that. Orient have never had a hooligan element. Was it Millwall fans wanting a replay of 1978 at the Den?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

FA Cup memories on 10:25 - Jan 6 with 6588 viewsTractorWood

Soton away. 5k Town fans on a cold January day, loud and gave a really account of the club.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

FA Cup memories on 10:45 - Jan 6 with 6546 viewsSWGF

FA Cup memories on 10:25 - Jan 6 by TractorWood

Soton away. 5k Town fans on a cold January day, loud and gave a really account of the club.

Then Dean Gerken dithered and we conceded.

To be continued very soon.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024