Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wolves 21:27 - Feb 3 with 8578 viewsnewbie

Blimey that 2nd goal is like something I've never seen in the championship before. This team would be top half in the Prem no problem.
Wolves on 23:33 - Feb 3 with 7060 viewsbournemouthblue

It will be interesting next season, they clearly won't be afraid to spend some money

They must be the best Championship side for quite some time?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Wolves on 08:07 - Feb 4 with 6856 viewschristiand

Wolves on 23:33 - Feb 3 by bournemouthblue

It will be interesting next season, they clearly won't be afraid to spend some money

They must be the best Championship side for quite some time?

With their financial backing they certainly won't be afraid. Top 10 is certainly achievable, but breaking that top 6 seems unlikely.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Wolves on 08:19 - Feb 4 with 6841 viewssparks

Wolves on 08:07 - Feb 4 by christiand

With their financial backing they certainly won't be afraid. Top 10 is certainly achievable, but breaking that top 6 seems unlikely.

They have made an utter mockery of the championship and any suggestion that FFP is now an effective scheme.

Whilst wolves fans must be delighted, they really ought to feel slightly empty inside about it all. Its not their club, with its history, its people and its players succeeding. Its just a massive pot of cash.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

on 08:20 - Feb 4 with 6827 views_

Wolves on 08:19 - Feb 4 by sparks

They have made an utter mockery of the championship and any suggestion that FFP is now an effective scheme.

Whilst wolves fans must be delighted, they really ought to feel slightly empty inside about it all. Its not their club, with its history, its people and its players succeeding. Its just a massive pot of cash.

Wolves on 08:24 - Feb 4 with 6822 viewsTLA

It is hard to understand FFP and it should be properly enforced or scrapped.

Wolves have spent their money well though, on excellent players with lots of time to keep developing.

I think they could be comfortably top 10 next season, and push on from there.
Wolves on 08:30 - Feb 4 with 6806 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Wolves on 08:24 - Feb 4 by TLA

It is hard to understand FFP and it should be properly enforced or scrapped.

Wolves have spent their money well though, on excellent players with lots of time to keep developing.

I think they could be comfortably top 10 next season, and push on from there.

Watching the Wolves highlights on The Championship was a joy to behold. That was how football should be played, if only we had the budget and leadership to play like that again. At least I'm old enough to remember when we did.

Poll: would you rather

Wolves on 08:33 - Feb 4 with 6801 viewsITFC_Forever

The long-range shot for the first was pretty decent as well.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Wolves on 08:33 - Feb 4 with 6806 viewssparks

Wolves on 08:30 - Feb 4 by LegendofthePhoenix

Watching the Wolves highlights on The Championship was a joy to behold. That was how football should be played, if only we had the budget and leadership to play like that again. At least I'm old enough to remember when we did.

To have that sort of budget these days requires an extraordinarily wealthy owner prepared to throw that money away.

The Prem has so distorted competion, it can barely be called a competition anymore.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Wolves on 08:37 - Feb 4 with 6790 viewsTLA

Wolves on 08:30 - Feb 4 by LegendofthePhoenix

I started going in 1983 - I would actually prefer to be 5 or 6 years older now so I could have seen some of what you must have!
Wolves on 08:53 - Feb 4 with 6750 viewsAce_High1

Why should they feel empty? I don't get all this being ashamed of being wealthy. Their owner is willing to pump money in, its their money its up to them how they spend it. Wolves fans will be delighted as they are top of the league and winning most weeks.

People keep referencing the good old days, history, not being the same because its spending money? Truth is times change, if money is spent good luck to them. Fans support the football team and at the end of the day its all about winning and results. If money enables you to do that then great. Its not all in isolation, look back over the last 20 years, people seem to forgot the successful teams have always spent money - I don't remember Blackburn fans being ashamed when they won the league in 1995 backed by all that money at the time? I wonder if they preferred that to the good old proper football they are experiencing now in League 1?
Wolves on 09:54 - Feb 4 with 6631 viewstractorboy7777

on 08:20 - Feb 4 by _

I don’t recall a club spending almost £30m in two players, have multiple loans from the likes of Atletico Madrid, Porto, Villarreal and Monaco (of which one is due to turn into a purchase, Jota) and bring in very little.

They’ve spent by far the most at this level I can remember

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Wolves on 09:56 - Feb 4 with 6623 viewstractorboy7777

Wolves on 08:53 - Feb 4 by Ace_High1

Why should they feel empty? I don't get all this being ashamed of being wealthy. Their owner is willing to pump money in, its their money its up to them how they spend it. Wolves fans will be delighted as they are top of the league and winning most weeks.

People keep referencing the good old days, history, not being the same because its spending money? Truth is times change, if money is spent good luck to them. Fans support the football team and at the end of the day its all about winning and results. If money enables you to do that then great. Its not all in isolation, look back over the last 20 years, people seem to forgot the successful teams have always spent money - I don't remember Blackburn fans being ashamed when they won the league in 1995 backed by all that money at the time? I wonder if they preferred that to the good old proper football they are experiencing now in League 1?

I think the issue is that the sky money should be fed down the leagues at a fair portion. The prem will become far more difficult to get into now for clubs who haven’t got the significant financial backing. I’m not saying it’ll never happen but Christ it’ll be far more difficult now.

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Wolves on 09:57 - Feb 4 with 6619 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

To think we only lost by a single goal on bòth occassions......... we must have something about us.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Wolves on 10:15 - Feb 4 with 6586 viewsParisBlue

Wolves on 09:54 - Feb 4 by tractorboy7777

I don’t recall a club spending almost £30m in two players, have multiple loans from the likes of Atletico Madrid, Porto, Villarreal and Monaco (of which one is due to turn into a purchase, Jota) and bring in very little.

They’ve spent by far the most at this level I can remember

They've spent it well though, and those players have re-sale value.

Plus the likes of Coady & Douglas (from Turkish football). And Bennett and Ruddy on free transfers.

Huge turnaround in players. They currently have 20 players out on loan.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Wolves on 10:15 - Feb 4 with 6584 viewsAce_High1

Wolves on 09:56 - Feb 4 by tractorboy7777

I think the issue is that the sky money should be fed down the leagues at a fair portion. The prem will become far more difficult to get into now for clubs who haven’t got the significant financial backing. I’m not saying it’ll never happen but Christ it’ll be far more difficult now.

But that is not Wolves fault so why should the fans feel bad about it?

People seem to forget, in the late 90's we were one of the bigger teams in Division One. Yes not spending millions, but we were the side that lower league players wanted to join. When we wanted to strengthen we went out and signed our rivals best players- Marcus Stewart for example.

Now its gone full circle, we are now the Huddersfield of that time, selling our best players (Murphy) to the teams at the top of the league and scrapping for mid table.

I don't remember feeling bad about the day out at Wembley or subsequent fantastic year in the Premiership.

Good luck to Wolves, they are in a situation where they can afford to spend, so why not sign the best players they can attract?
Wolves on 10:17 - Feb 4 with 6580 viewsBent_double

Feels a bit like cheating though, doesn't it?

I get what you're saying, it's just that it's gone too far now. The creation of the PL was done to split the top 20 or so clubs away from the rest of the FL and to ensure that they got the lions share of the new TV money that was starting to flood into football.

Yes, Walker at Blackburn did buy the PL by spending vast amounts of his own money, but don't forget he was a Blackburn fan first and foremost. I'm sure he didn't realise what he started, but the fact is that we now effectively have countries owning football clubs with unlimited funds at their disposal. Is that a good thing?

It annoys me that there doesn't seem to be any kind of debate within football about finances. All I hear is commentators drooling over "£75 million pound man" van Dyke, or Sanchezs £350k a week wages, like it's all incredibly exciting and a really good thing. Why aren't more players/managers/owners making a stand? Because it's not in their best interest of course.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that we are now a mid to lower Championship side, we won't be troubling the promotion places anytime soon, and we're more likely to be involved in relegation battles. We'll win some games, we'll lose some, but hopefully we'll play some decent football along the way and bring some good young players through the academy or get them from the lower leagues.

We don't need the PL and it's riches...!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Wolves on 10:20 - Feb 4 with 6575 viewsAce_High1

Wolves on 10:17 - Feb 4 by Bent_double

Feels a bit like cheating though, doesn't it?

I get what you're saying, it's just that it's gone too far now. The creation of the PL was done to split the top 20 or so clubs away from the rest of the FL and to ensure that they got the lions share of the new TV money that was starting to flood into football.

Yes, Walker at Blackburn did buy the PL by spending vast amounts of his own money, but don't forget he was a Blackburn fan first and foremost. I'm sure he didn't realise what he started, but the fact is that we now effectively have countries owning football clubs with unlimited funds at their disposal. Is that a good thing?

It annoys me that there doesn't seem to be any kind of debate within football about finances. All I hear is commentators drooling over "£75 million pound man" van Dyke, or Sanchezs £350k a week wages, like it's all incredibly exciting and a really good thing. Why aren't more players/managers/owners making a stand? Because it's not in their best interest of course.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that we are now a mid to lower Championship side, we won't be troubling the promotion places anytime soon, and we're more likely to be involved in relegation battles. We'll win some games, we'll lose some, but hopefully we'll play some decent football along the way and bring some good young players through the academy or get them from the lower leagues.

We don't need the PL and it's riches...!

But thats the issue isn't it. Its been like that for years but its now people have decided that £300,000 a week is not acceptable, but £200,000 was ok? Its all relative.

Its market forces, if people are willing to spend it (and have the means to do it) then go for it. If Ipswich were in a position to do it and in 2 years time were a mid table team in the top flight, I doubt the stadium would be half empty or we would all be wishing for the days when we could only sign a Frank Nouble or Giles Coke.
Wolves on 10:45 - Feb 4 with 6532 viewsGuthrum

When a club's only virtue is that they have essentially won the lottery, rather than succeeding through skill and hard work, many people would feel that is somewhat hollow (tho probably not the team's own fans).

However, it would not be entirely fair to place Wolves in that category - they have clearly spent well and Nuno Espírito Santo is a very good manager who has forged those purchases into a highly effective team. Neither are their fans taking success for granted, most seem to still approach games with trepidation and treasure their wins.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wolves on 10:47 - Feb 4 with 6524 viewsBenters2

The first was pretty tasty too.

Although likng a goal scored by another championship team isnt allowed on here,neither is pointing out another club is showing ambition.
Wolves on 10:51 - Feb 4 with 6513 viewsSomethingBlue

Wolves on 10:47 - Feb 4 by Benters2

The first was pretty tasty too.

Although likng a goal scored by another championship team isnt allowed on here,neither is pointing out another club is showing ambition.

Stop trying to divide people. Just stop it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Wolves on 10:56 - Feb 4 with 6484 viewsBenters2

Wolves on 10:51 - Feb 4 by SomethingBlue

Stop trying to divide people. Just stop it.

Get a grip.

I am called a Derby supporter and all sorts by the likes of you.

If you dont like what i say stick me on your div list.

Enjoy your day.
Wolves on 10:58 - Feb 4 with 6482 viewsJ2BLUE

Wolves on 10:56 - Feb 4 by Benters2

Get a grip.

Enjoy your day.

Mate, you're on everyone's div list.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wolves on 11:00 - Feb 4 with 6480 viewsSomethingBlue

Wolves on 10:56 - Feb 4 by Benters2

Get a grip.

Enjoy your day.

Never called you anything of the sort, actually. Just stop poisoning this board and find a different outlet.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Wolves on 11:11 - Feb 4 with 6447 viewsBent_double

Wolves on 10:20 - Feb 4 by Ace_High1

But thats the issue isn't it. Its been like that for years but its now people have decided that £300,000 a week is not acceptable, but £200,000 was ok? Its all relative.

Its market forces, if people are willing to spend it (and have the means to do it) then go for it. If Ipswich were in a position to do it and in 2 years time were a mid table team in the top flight, I doubt the stadium would be half empty or we would all be wishing for the days when we could only sign a Frank Nouble or Giles Coke.

To be fair, it's not just now that people have started moaning about inflated transfer fees and wages, it's been going on for years.

Yes, it is market forces to some extent, but if the PL were to say, limit a clubs wage bill to say £30m a year for the squad of 25, it would be a start. There will be ways around it of course (bigger bonuses, signing-on fees, image rights, etc) but it has to start somewhere.

As for agents, well, is there anyone who thinks that they are a good thing for football, with the tens or hundreds of millions they take every year?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Wolves on 11:27 - Feb 4 with 6423 viewsHarryfromBath

When their owners and agent Jorge Mendes pitched up, their fans were saying that their project could either go in a Manchester City or a Blackburn Rovers direction. They very much feared the latter when Walter Zenga was handed the manager's job.

The arrival of Nuno and the selective addition of a number of important players have transformed them this season. Their squad doesn't have the depth of Derby's but it does have quality, and I think that Nuno's attention to detail is the vital ingredient in making the vision come to life on the pitch.

I reckon that the trick to making it work is having an owner, a sporting director and a manager with the right funding and crucially the same philosophy or idea on how to play the game. Money isn't enough, the footballing stars have to be lined up correctly as well.

Wolves have only clicked once the right manager was installed, and while Manchester City may be an absurd parallel given their wealth, the fundamentals remain the same.

There are enough contrasting examples of teams who have built squads suitable to one model of play while appointing (often a succession of) managers unsuited to their playing style. Wigan and Forest spring to mind immediately. There aren't many quicker ways in which to waste millions of pounds.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024